JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems there is some confusion between safe and storage. A safe protects from fire and theft/unauthorized use. When you have thousands in ammo and powder, it only makes sense tp protect it in a safe.

I was fortunate enough to have an employer retire a a Scwab branded Sentry 1856CTS Fire resistant data and media file safe. I hauled it off and converted it to my ammo cabinent. Wish I could find another as I need more capacity
IMG_1379.JPG

Seems there is some confusion between safe and storage. A safe protects from fire and theft/unauthorized use. When you have thousands in ammo and powder, it only makes sense tp protect it in a safe.

I am in IT, and one thing I have seen is that "fire Safes" get well above the melting point of plastic in a fire. Things like hard drives, backup tapes and CD/DVD will melt inside of the safe, and can even cause paper to catch file by melting onto it thus destroying the paper without the fire compromising the safe. "Fire Safes" are designed to keep paper from burning. All this to ask at what temperature will powder and ammo spontaneously combust? Will a fire safe keep them undamaged in a typical house fire?

I am in IT, and one thing I have seen is that "fire Safes" get well above the melting point of plastic in a fire. Things like hard drives, backup tapes and CD/DVD will melt inside of the safe, and can even cause paper to catch file by melting onto it thus destroying the paper without the fire compromising the safe. "Fire Safes" are designed to keep paper from burning. All this to ask at what temperature will powder and ammo spontaneously combust? Will a fire safe keep them undamaged in a typical house fire?

Dunno. I do know never to put bulk powder in a safe, locker or strong box* though.

While individual rounds would cook off in such, far far less of a hazard to first responders vs bulk powder going up inside a contained space. Bad ju ju.

*Figure a strong box without locks & latches would be reasonably allrite tho. The burn of such would be directional, not overtly omnidirectional/shrapenally explosive.

So when OSHA commands a flammable lockers for gas, aerosols and other flammables that's bad too? Remember, smokeless powder is a propellant, not an explosive.

Dunno. I do know never to put bulk powder in a safe, locker or strong box* though.

While individual rounds would cook off in such, far far less of a hazard to first responders vs bulk powder going up inside a contained space. Bad ju ju.

*Figure a strong box without locks & latches would be reasonably allrite tho. The burn of such would be directional, not overtly omnidirectional/shrapenally explosive.

I think an ammo safe of any kind is a good idea, and would effectively protect 1st responders, but I would not expect a fire safe to protect the ammo or powder in a house fire. I would also bet that a lot of the plastic on modern guns would not fare well in a fire safe subjected to a house fire.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews