JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As far as alcohol sales, some companies have it in the software so that the sale cannot proceed unless a DOB is entered to verify the purchaser is over 21. Some cashiers just enter their own DOB so as not to pizz off the customer.

The Walmart policy may be similar.

Be glad you don't live in Sacramento like my son does. (A) It's illegal for ammo to be shipped to a residential address. He orders it online, has it shipped Will Call to the nearest UPS Customer Service Center & picks it up there. (B) When you buy ammo at a store in Sac they take down all of your info & the Sac City PoPo go around & collect the paperwork. Then they run the info thru NICS to see if any baddies are buying ammo. Gives them something to do & probably reduces crime by 0%.

I know when I buy ammo from Cabela's they ask me for my DOB now. Not sure when they changed since I know in the past they did not ask.

I went to a local Walmart and talked to an employee. He told me that an associate somewhere sold pistol ammo to an underage person and Walmart was being sued.

Yeah, I learned long ago that the people behind the counter at Walmart don't really know what they are talking about. Let me share how I came by this realization.

Years ago I had just bought a Mosin Nagant M-44, and on the way to go shoot it, my honey and I stopped into Wally World to see if they had a buttpad that could fit it (I had heard they had nasty recoil, and I figured I was better safe than sorry). So, I made my way through the haze of B.O. and quiet desperation that permeates every Walmart like a thick fog and, after a few minutes, got to the sporting good section where I found several slip-on butt pads. After reading the back of each of them, I decided that I needed help and went to the counter where they sold their firearms.

As usual, I found it deserted.

Not ready to give up on my quest for a buttpad quite yet, I searched up and down all the nearby aisles and, right when I was about to go back and look for a flare gun to try to signal for help, I ran into a young man wearing a blue Walmart vest and smelling so heavily of Marijuana I almost abandoned my search for a buttpad in favor of Cheetos. Well, after asking several times if he worked in the sporting goods section, utilizing a rudimentary sign language and my honey's expertise from her time in the Rave scene we where able to ascertain that this young man was indeed one of the people working that section of the store and got him to follow us back over there to "assist" us. The interaction that followed surely killed as many braincells as huffing a case of Air Duster, but I'll try and relate the gist of what was said once we got back over to where they had the buttpads:

Me: So what we are wondering is if you know if any of these buttpads would fit on a Mosin Nagant M-44 ?

PotheadStoreClerk: :Stares Blankley: Uhhhm... Well what do they say on the package ?
(at this point the guy kinda stared at the display for a good 15 seconds as if trying to use psychokinesis to either bring the packages closer to him or maybe make me go away. After realizing that he would, indeed, be forced to work this problem out, he picked up one of the packages and stared at it for a good minute or two before looking up at me)
PotheadStoreClerk: Well what kind of gun is it ?

Me: It's a Mosin Nagant M-44

PotheadStoreClerk: No, like what kind of gun is it ? Is it a Mossberg, a Marlin, or a Winchester?

Me: Uhh, its a Russian Mosin Nagant, a M-44?

PotheadStoreClerk: *Sigh* Let me go get the older guy, he knows like everything about guns and stuff but they have him working in housewares.

As I watched the PotheadStoreClerk slouch off in that manner only seriously stoned people are able to manage, I felt some comfort in the thought that soon I would have someone who was more knowledgeable to help me, and I would be able to exchange the hellish off white aisles of Walmart for the great outdoors and some shooting. I waited, and then I waited a little more, and right as I was about to rip open the package of the flare pistol and signal for someone -- anyone to please come rescue me from there -- I smelled marijuana again. That's right. I could smell the kid before I saw him. Turning around, I saw the PotheadStoreClerk with a man I can only describe as a cross between Cleetus the Slackjawed Yokel from The Simpson's and Grimace from McDonald's....

PotheadStoreClerk: Uhhh... So these people want to know if one of these rifle pads will work on their, uhhh... What was it?

Me: A Russian Mosin Nagant, a M-44

GrimaceTheSlackjawedYokel: A what ?

Me: A Russian Mosin Nagant, a M-44. You can get them for like a hundred bucks right now at Big 5 or like any gun store.

GrimaceTheSlackjawedYokel: I don't think we have those, *looks over at the cases for a second* Yeah, we don't have none of those. Sorry

Me: I don't need one. I already have one. What I want to know is if any of these buttpads might fit one ?

GrimaceTheSlackjawedYokel: *Grabs a couple different buttpads and looks them over* Well who makes the gun ?

Me: Russia

GrimaceTheSlackjawedYokel: No, No, No... like who MAKES it? Like Mossberg? Marlin? Winchester?

Me: Ok, so it was made by the Soviet Russian Government at the Izhevsk arms factory in 1944. It is not a Mossberg, a Marlin, or any of those other manufacturers.

GrimaceTheSlackjawedYokel:*Looks at me like I'm the dumbest person since sliced bread* Well I don't know! Just buy them all and return 'em if they don't fit!

At this point both employees kinda stormed off, and I was left standing there feeling a little bit defeated. I was about to give up and walk off when a kindly, older gentlemen who had been watching the exchange approached us, said his son had a particular one on his 91/30, and suggested that it might be a good one to try. With tears of gratitude, frustration, and joy in my eyes, I purchased that one and escaped Walmart never to return again. (Ok, well I wish the last part was true. I've been there more times then I can remember, but I did at least learn a valuable lesson about asking for information from employees there).

Maybe it's just me but, if I ever find myself at Walmart looking for ANYTHING gun related I've already made a mistake.
Hey, there's not many places left where you can get some cinderblocks, a big screen TV, a lawn chair and some 00 buck so show a little respect. lol

I'm all about the cash! XD

Recently I noticed the Frys (Kroger) store I get money orders from is now asking for my
'discount card' info, when I buy my money orders--Since they don't offer a discount for
purchasing a money order, could it be they think they've found a new way to keep track of my
personal and confidential information?* :eek:

* I just tell them I ain't interested in providing my info, like my old man taught me

Being a younger guy (29) I still get carded all the time for alcohol and most large chain grocery stores DO type your birthday into the computer.

I'm sure it's their legal department and if they did accidentally sell to a minor they can go back through the security tape and they have a record of the actual birthday on the drivers license that was used to make the purchase.

The reason they enter your DOB into their computer is so the clerk doesn't have to do the thinking on if you're of-age or not. It's probably the same as Wally World entering your DOB into their computers. Weed out human error. If you're underage (yes it does happen), the clerk is told to deny the sale. I would know, worked grocery for a very long time.

I can't see any value in gathering only the age range/average of ammo purchasers? There is literally nothing to do with this data. To be honest I'm surprised Wal-Mart hasn't been doing this the whole time.

The reason they enter your DOB into their computer is so the clerk doesn't have to do the thinking on if you're of-age or not. It's probably the same as Wally World entering your DOB into their computers. Weed out human error. If you're underage (yes it does happen), the clerk is told to deny the sale. I would know, worked grocery for a very long time.

I can't see any value in gathering only the age range/average of ammo purchasers? There is literally nothing to do with this data. To be honest I'm surprised Wal-Mart hasn't been doing this the whole time.

This. The stupidity of mankind knows no bounds so therefore higher ups have to design software and implement policies that take as much thinking as possible out of the equation because that removes opportunities for errors as much as possible. Errors cost money, businesses don't like that. It's cheaper to have a minimum wage slouch working with expensive software than it is to pay an intelligent person hourly to use their brain.

This. The stupidity of mankind knows no bounds so therefore higher ups have to design software and implement policies that take as much thinking as possible out of the equation because that removes opportunities for errors as much as possible. Errors cost money, businesses don't like that. It's cheaper to have a minimum wage slouch working with expensive software than it is to pay an intelligent person hourly to use their brain.

May be a little harsh to attribute it to stupidity but (someone mentioned Kroger so I'll use that) when you operate 2,796 stores like Kroger does it's just a numbers game at that point for all the things that WILL go wrong and cost your company a lot of money and worse, the losing of liquor or firearms licenses. It's simple risk management. Most people are able to remember "Today's date, 1996" = 21 years old...

Let me tell a little story that actually happened to me not that long ago. One evening I got a craving for a couple of McDonalds Cheeseburgers (yeah, yeah, I know...) Went into the local establishment and ordered same plus a drink. Total was $3.24. I handed the 17 something a $5 bill. Girl presses a couple of keys on the register and says... "Uhh, the register won't tell me how much change to give back, do you have the exact amount?". I immediately told her, "well, I should get back $1.76." She says the register has to tell her, she can't take my word for it. Then asks the girl next to her. The both of them couldn't figure it out. Another customer behind me let's them both know it's $1.76. A dollar bill, three quarters and a penny. Nope, couldn't take her word for it either. They eventually went to the back and came out with the manager who had to instruct them how to give me back the proper change. :rolleyes:

-Greg

May be a little harsh to attribute it to stupidity but (someone mentioned Kroger so I'll use that) when you operate 2,796 stores like Kroger does it's just a numbers game at that point for all the things that WILL go wrong and cost your company a lot of money and worse, the losing of liquor or firearms licenses. It's simple risk management. Most people are able to remember "Today's date, 1996" = 21 years old...

Sometimes harsh is a synonym for accurate. I believe you would be extremely surprised how many people can't "just do today's date minus 21 years" it's shocking. There is a reason why some people are working around minimum wage for their career.

Yeah, I learned long ago that the people behind the counter at Walmart don't really know what they are talking about. Let me share how I came by this realization.

Years ago I had just bought a Mosin Nagant M-44, and on the way to go shoot it, my honey and I stopped into Wally World to see if they had a buttpad that could fit it (I had heard they had nasty recoil, and I figured I was better safe than sorry). So, I made my way through the haze of B.O. and quiet desperation that permeates every Walmart like a thick fog and, after a few minutes, got to the sporting good section where I found several slip-on butt pads. After reading the back of each of them, I decided that I needed help and went to the counter where they sold their firearms.

As usual, I found it deserted.

Not ready to give up on my quest for a buttpad quite yet, I searched up and down all the nearby aisles and, right when I was about to go back and look for a flare gun to try to signal for help, I ran into a young man wearing a blue Walmart vest and smelling so heavily of Marijuana I almost abandoned my search for a buttpad in favor of Cheetos. Well, after asking several times if he worked in the sporting goods section, utilizing a rudimentary sign language and my honey's expertise from her time in the Rave scene we where able to ascertain that this young man was indeed one of the people working that section of the store and got him to follow us back over there to "assist" us. The interaction that followed surely killed as many braincells as huffing a case of Air Duster, but I'll try and relate the gist of what was said once we got back over to where they had the buttpads:

As I watched the PotheadStoreClerk slouch off in that manner only seriously stoned people are able to manage, I felt some comfort in the thought that soon I would have someone who was more knowledgeable to help me, and I would be able to exchange the hellish off white aisles of Walmart for the great outdoors and some shooting. I waited, and then I waited a little more, and right as I was about to rip open the package of the flare pistol and signal for someone -- anyone to please come rescue me from there -- I smelled marijuana again. That's right. I could smell the kid before I saw him. Turning around, I saw the PotheadStoreClerk with a man I can only describe as a cross between Cleetus the Slackjawed Yokel from The Simpson's and Grimace from McDonald's....

At this point both employees kinda stormed off, and I was left standing there feeling a little bit defeated. I was about to give up and walk off when a kindly, older gentlemen who had been watching the exchange approached us, said his son had a particular one on his 91/30, and suggested that it might be a good one to try. With tears of gratitude, frustration, and joy in my eyes, I purchased that one and escaped Walmart never to return again. (Ok, well I wish the last part was true. I've been there more times then I can remember, but I did at least learn a valuable lesson about asking for information from employees there).
I'm confused, you are expecting a Walmart clerk to have vast knowledge of every firearm and the aftermarket accessories that go with them?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top