JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I doubt anything will happen to Mr Baldwin. Ms Jenner was involved in an accident which killed a woman and she was voted woman of the year and ran for governor.

The only hitch is Baldwin killed one of their own. Surely the studio takes the hit but Baldwin will get mean stares. I have a family member shoot someone in self defense on their property who isn't so lucky.

I expect Baldwin will do a gun control PSA commercial then follow Tom Hanks to Greece.

Last Edited:
guns on a set are handled by an experienced film "Armorer". Not a prop master. They are separate / different jobs. This should NEVER happen on any set unless someone was being extremely negligent. (ie. Armorer or Baldwin) A friend of mine starred in The Crow. The gun was pointed a Lee.

To shed some light on prop guns.

Many times they are real firearms. Likely this case, it was a real revolver. Movies and television use them all the time. Some are fitted with special barrels, some (like revolvers) are quite literally not changed at all.

Blanks are used a lot in movies.

After Bruce Lee's kid died, which was a real round, a 44 slug was found lodged in his spine, movie sets have strict procedures to ensure zero real ammunition is on the premises.

However…

Blanks are not exactly safe.

Blanks can fragment and pieces of the brass can fly out of a barrel at high velocities.

Most semi auto prop guns have a blocked barrel of some sort so that the gasses cycle the action. Most revolvers don't.

This is likely a tragic accident where pieces of a blank struck the woman in an unfortunate location and she died from the injury.

Yes it is completely ironic that the person who fired the weapon is a huge anti gun fanatic. That doesn't change much other than the irony of it. He will live with this and it will likely haunt him for the rest of his life. Something I almost have sympathy towards.

Absolutely horrible accident and my condolences to the woman's family. May she Rest In Peace.

I hate Alec B. with a passion.

Just remember:

1. Blanks can kill at close range.
2. Did the movie scene require a shot of Baldwin firing towards the camera at close range?

Dammit, I hate trying to be fair to that guy. I hope his conscience bugs him for the rest of his Godforsaken life, but I know in my heart that he doesn't have one. His soul is black.

With re: AB.....almost

"Absolutely horrible accident and my condolences to the woman's family. May she Rest In Peace." This is the most important thing to keep in mind about this incident. Going forward WE all know what needs to be done....pray the right lessons are learned.

Joe

Actor Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun that killed the cinematographer and injured the director
Read the story and watched a news clip of it and something stinks about this.

The two people shot were NOT actors in the movie. Therefore they would not necessarily be that close to Baldwin - as say if they WERE actors and in a scene in the movie and in close proximity to Baldwin.

Baldwin is known for his violent outbursts. Is it possible he had one and maybe was angry at these two and 'went off', intentionally firing in the direction of the two people?

A TV reporter said this was most likely an 'Accidental misfiring of a prop gun'. Yea, uh, huh.

Did a little reading on Bruce Lee's son.

In that accident, a fake live round was created. It was a case with a bullet, no powder. Yet, and this is where the mistake was made, the primer was real. It was made so that the close up on the gun would show real ammo inside. Apparently, somewhere along the way during the filming the fake round was fired. It squibbed the projectile in the barrel. Then a blank was fired behind it.

Im not sure what era this was set in, but I was thinking perhaps cap and ball revolvers might be used? If that is the case, I'm curious if a wad of some sort might be used to create a "blank like" bang. I imagine that could kill if hit in the right place. Perhaps @Andy54Hawken might have some insight to black powder style blank use?

1993 for a western?
That was the year the movie was made and I realized after posting you questioned the era and I did not know that so I deleted my post - however if I recall the 'era' was more less 'modern time' and the gun was a SA revolver.

With regard to black powder 'blanks' a variety if things can be used to create them however what they need to do is compress the powder. I have done this myself and have used damp, tightly compressed toilet paper on top of the black powder.

That was the year the movie was made and I realized after posting you questioned the era and I did not know that so I deleted my post - however if I recall the 'era' was more less 'modern time' and the gun was a SA revolver.
The one used in Brandon Lees death was a single action style revolver.

My curiosity is what era the movie Alex B is filming is set in. It might give insight to the type of blank used.

1634914377370.jpeg

This happens more then you would think, even blank firing guns can kill! Met a guy in Tombstone several years ago, told me about one of the actors accidently shooting some one with his replica revolver. He showed me how it happened: The revolvers have a steal bar welded across the throat of the cylinder so that they cannot fire an actual cartridge, but a blank with a "popper charge" and a wax seal, apparently the powder clumped and when fired, a chunk of this clumped powder cleared the cylinder and went down the barrel, striking another actor. While it didn't kill them, it sure could have! I have also heard of wax bullets killing, even with a minimal charge, they can and do kill!
When I was living in the SW a woman killed a teen with her brothers pistol firing blanks. Her brother worked at the old movie set turned attraction south of Tucson. She woke up to hear someone in the house. Only thing she had was the .44 her brother used there with blanks. She was hiding when the kid came around a corner she fired at hit point blank in the head. The blast was enough to kill the kid.

From the IMDB site describing the movie plot:

A 13 year-old boy, left to fend for himself and his younger brother following the death of their parents in 1880's Kansas,
In that case it was highly likely to be a single action revolver, like a colt in 44-40 or 45.

One unanswered question here is how did he manage to hit 2 people? Did he pull the trigger twice? Did the projectile fragment, or did it penetrate one and then hit the other?

Regardless, an individual pointed a gun at two people not on the set and fired. One was killed, one injured.
If it was an accident, it should be on camera. If it was the result of a well known temper, it won't.
In the latter case, the shooter in question should be in jail pending further investigation.
It may be an ideal case for "Me Too" to crop up again.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads