JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What forensic testing reveals about revolver in on-set 'Rust' shooting~~~

The gun used in the fatal shooting on the "Rust" movie set could not have been fired without pulling the trigger, according to an FBI forensic report obtained Friday by ABC News.

MORE on the link.

This news came out a couple of days ago but I did not see it posted here.

If I did miss someone's update - please merge this post with it.

Thank you.

Cate

I haven't kept up at all on the whole thing, but does it even matter? If an actor was told and believed it was a cold gun and he pulled the trigger or not, it wouldn't constitute willfull discharge of a firearm or intent to murder... would it?

I haven't kept up at all on the whole thing, but does it even matter? If an actor was told and believed it was a cold gun and he pulled the trigger or not, it wouldn't constitute willfull discharge of a firearm or intent to murder... would it?
It constitutes negligent homicide. And it matters because the azzbite continuously says the firearm went off by itself and that HE is NOT responsible for the death.

Even in Hollyweird circles, ya don't point a firearm at somebody and pull the trigger. Ya might want to read previous threads on this subject.

FYI Re cold gun there is a much, much longer story to that. Read the balwin shooting thread everything is in there

The gun used in the fatal shooting on the "Rust" movie set could not have been fired without pulling the trigger, according to an FBI forensic report obtained Friday by ABC
In other news FBI forensic experts have determined that grass is green, water is wet and sleepy creepy Joe has dementia...It doesn't take an expert to figure any of these things out.

'Rust' assistant director David Halls said he 'should have' checked gun more thoroughly before giving it to Alec Baldwin 'but didn't'..

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the armorer loaded the six rounds off set. Dummy rounds have a hole drilled in the side of the casing, no powder or primer and a BB inside so you can verify that it is a Dummy by shaking it.

Dave Halls picked the firearm up off the cart, shook it, heard the BBs rattle from the five Dummy rounds and declared "Cold gun" to the set.

Would you point that firearm at someone without opening the gate and spinning the cylinder to make sure none of them had a primer?

Would you point that firearm at someone without opening the gate and spinning the cylinder to make sure none of them had a primer?
I'm an avid gun owner and know better. I dunno what standard practice is in the film industry, or if they require actors/actresses to have firearm training, but I could believe it if they generally assume, "we have people for that" and fully take what they are told at face value. I can also easily believe that in the film industry a lot of real firearms are placed (unloaded) into the hands of people that aren't even sure which end is supposed to point where. ;)

I dunno what that guys personal level of firearm understanding is, but I can see where it might quickly get a little cloudy about who is actually responsible for what in that shooting.

I can't say I'm too interested in doing much research on the case though. I've seen "rust" referenced in other posts though and just peeked in see what it was about and kind of intrigued to see what the end "at fault" determination would be in something like this.

If you remember Baldwin did not come out with the "I never pulled the trigger" story until after another actor complained that the prop gun had been issued had discharged twice without the trigger being pulled.
Just another "it's not my fault story". And trying to push blame on the armorer.

'Rust' assistant director David Halls said he 'should have' checked gun more thoroughly before giving it to Alec Baldwin 'but didn't'..

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the armorer loaded the six rounds off set. Dummy rounds have a hole drilled in the side of the casing, no powder or primer and a BB inside so you can verify that it is a Dummy by shaking it.

Dave Halls picked the firearm up off the cart, shook it, heard the BBs rattle from the five Dummy rounds and declared "Cold gun" to the set.

I'm not sure anyone can be sure an actor would know. If he opened the gun and blanks were in it there would be primers. If the gun had dummy rounds in it there would appear to be primers too.
I do know this. Actors are not allowed to open the gun. Actors are not allowed to load or unload any gun. With a semi auto actors would not be allowed to pull the slide back, or even press check a gun.
Before each scene the armourer takes the gun, loads the correct amount of ammo and with a revolver clocks the blank to the right place so that the gun fires at the right time only.
If they allowed the actors to open the gun how many times would the blank be in the right place for the shot? If they let the actors check the guns , the blank in a semi auto would be on the set floor.
They are just not allowed to do anything with the gun except what the director [ and script] tells them to do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top