JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A straw purchase is when a person who is prohibited from owning a firearm, has someone else purchase it for them.
There's a question on the ATF form 7743 dedicated to just this issue.

"a. Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form?
Warning: You are not the actual transferee/buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person.
If you are not the actual transferee/buyer, the licensee cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you.
Exception:
If you are picking up a repaired firearm(s)for another person, you are not required to answer 11.a. and may
proceed to question 11.b. (See Instructions for Question 11.a.)"

I will admit to having a bit of a grudge against that place, I bought a Saiga AK from them a few years back and he sold me a couple of high-cap mags for it without explaining the issue of 922r compliance with those guns. Granted, it was my responsibility to be an informed consumer, but a reputable dealer shouldnt be doing that in my opinion.

I will admit to having a bit of a grudge against that place, I bought a Saiga AK from them a few years back and he sold me a couple of high-cap mags for it without explaining the issue of 922r compliance with those guns. Granted, it was my responsibility to be an informed consumer, but a reputable dealer shouldnt be doing that in my opinion.
I get where you're coming from but I don't agree. It would be nice for them to do that, but it's not their responsibility. It's a part. You want it or you don't. You wouldn't expect him to tell you that you need a CHL\CPL when he sells you an IWB holster, right? Lots of folks don't know that.

I get where you're coming from but I don't agree. It would be nice for them to do that, but it's not their responsibility. It's a part. You want it or you don't. You wouldn't expect him to tell you that you need a CHL\CPL when he sells you an IWB holster, right? Lots of folks don't know that.
Apples to oranges. It is common knowledge..even among non-gun owners... that you cant carry a concealed handgun in public without a permit. The vagaries of 922r compliance are another thing entirely. He knowingly sold me a gun and a magazine for that gun that would be illegal the moment I inserted it into that gun. A reputable dealer who wanted to do right by a customer would not have done that, he could have just as easily sold me a WASR 10 in the same price range.

Apples to oranges. It is common knowledge..even among non-gun owners... that you cant carry a concealed handgun in public without a permit. The vagaries of 922r compliance are another thing entirely. He knowingly sold me a gun and a magazine for that gun that would be illegal the moment I inserted it into that gun. A reputable dealer who wanted to do right by a customer would not have done that, he could have just as easily sold me a WASR 10 in the same price range.
I still disagree. It's up to you to know. It would be nice if he told you but he's not your mother.

A straw purchase is when a person who is prohibited from owning a firearm, has someone else purchase it for them.
There's a question on the ATF form 7743 dedicated to just this issue.
There is nothing about being a prohibited person in the law. Other than buying as a gift, you can not buy for someone that instructs you and pays for the firearm.

There is nothing about being a prohibited person in the law. Other than buying as a gift, you can not buy for someone that instructs you and pays for the firearm.

You are correct on that. Thanks for pointing it out. I always think of a convicted felon trying to obtain firearms when I hear about straw purchases.

They probably didn't know either.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top