JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A straw purchase is when a person who is prohibited from owning a firearm, has someone else purchase it for them.
There's a question on the ATF form 7743 dedicated to just this issue.

"a. Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form?
Warning: You are not the actual transferee/buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person.
If you are not the actual transferee/buyer, the licensee cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you.
Exception:
If you are picking up a repaired firearm(s)for another person, you are not required to answer 11.a. and may
proceed to question 11.b. (See Instructions for Question 11.a.)"

I will admit to having a bit of a grudge against that place, I bought a Saiga AK from them a few years back and he sold me a couple of high-cap mags for it without explaining the issue of 922r compliance with those guns. Granted, it was my responsibility to be an informed consumer, but a reputable dealer shouldnt be doing that in my opinion.

I will admit to having a bit of a grudge against that place, I bought a Saiga AK from them a few years back and he sold me a couple of high-cap mags for it without explaining the issue of 922r compliance with those guns. Granted, it was my responsibility to be an informed consumer, but a reputable dealer shouldnt be doing that in my opinion.
I get where you're coming from but I don't agree. It would be nice for them to do that, but it's not their responsibility. It's a part. You want it or you don't. You wouldn't expect him to tell you that you need a CHL\CPL when he sells you an IWB holster, right? Lots of folks don't know that.

I get where you're coming from but I don't agree. It would be nice for them to do that, but it's not their responsibility. It's a part. You want it or you don't. You wouldn't expect him to tell you that you need a CHL\CPL when he sells you an IWB holster, right? Lots of folks don't know that.
Apples to oranges. It is common knowledge..even among non-gun owners... that you cant carry a concealed handgun in public without a permit. The vagaries of 922r compliance are another thing entirely. He knowingly sold me a gun and a magazine for that gun that would be illegal the moment I inserted it into that gun. A reputable dealer who wanted to do right by a customer would not have done that, he could have just as easily sold me a WASR 10 in the same price range.

Apples to oranges. It is common knowledge..even among non-gun owners... that you cant carry a concealed handgun in public without a permit. The vagaries of 922r compliance are another thing entirely. He knowingly sold me a gun and a magazine for that gun that would be illegal the moment I inserted it into that gun. A reputable dealer who wanted to do right by a customer would not have done that, he could have just as easily sold me a WASR 10 in the same price range.
I still disagree. It's up to you to know. It would be nice if he told you but he's not your mother.

A straw purchase is when a person who is prohibited from owning a firearm, has someone else purchase it for them.
There's a question on the ATF form 7743 dedicated to just this issue.
There is nothing about being a prohibited person in the law. Other than buying as a gift, you can not buy for someone that instructs you and pays for the firearm.

There is nothing about being a prohibited person in the law. Other than buying as a gift, you can not buy for someone that instructs you and pays for the firearm.

You are correct on that. Thanks for pointing it out. I always think of a convicted felon trying to obtain firearms when I hear about straw purchases.

They probably didn't know either.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads