JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought into Y2K hook line and sinker.
And I had a standing offer of a bet of $1000 cash to anyone (and to be held by an attorney friend of mine) that NOTHING was going to happen - and yet I had no 'takers'.

Even some who BELIEVED something was going to happen were still not convinced enough to take me up on it.

I tend to buy and keep much more ammo on hand, especially .22s. Basically I got into the habit of buying a bit of .22 every time I saw it. Still unthinkingly throw a couple hundred rounds in routinely. Been laying up reloading supplies and bullet molds so I can adaptively stock as needed

And I had a standing offer of a bet of $1000 cash to anyone (and to be held by an attorney friend of mine) that NOTHING was going to happen - and yet I had no 'takers'.

Even some who BELIEVED something was going to happen were still not convinced enough to take me up on it.
I worked for Pacific Bell at that time and I know firsthand how worried we were about Y2K. We had a lot of people working round the clock to make sure we wouldn't go dark. Some of that work included preps for scenarios such as PG&E not being ready such as options on diesel tankers to keep our central Office generators running should power fail.
A lot of people put out a tremendous effort to make Y2K a nothingburger.

Y2K, good times... Made a lot of money replacing systems that would have failed to tick over.
Had plans to go into the office new years eve (and get paid double time) ~30 th floor of Union Square building to watch all the fireworks shows. What happens? our elected chicken smits canceled all the celebrations, in other words let the terrorists win... So disappointed. On a happy note I went home that morning knowing all our hard work and preps worked.

Well planed preparation definitely can payoff. Listening to snowflake politicians not so much.

Nope it will not but, many just live through them and almost immediately forget. There was one on primers before algore invented the net. Can't remember what set that off now but I learned then. When they came back I made sure I kept many K on hand.

As I recall, and I watched people roll out hand carts with 10s of thousands of primers/etc. at gun shows, it was about a rumor (possibly truth) that politicians were asking about whether primers could be made that would 'expire' after ten years or so.

Of course, such a thing was not really feasible, and probably would not be with any primer that is expected to be reliable for 10 or so years and then suddenly stop working - not to mention all of the problems with that even if they could get it to work. There is also the thing, mostly in California IIRC, with micro dots mixed in with the powder/etc. so that ammo could be traced. Then there is the thing of micro-printing of the firing pin on the primer to also trace the ammo back to the gun.

I bought into Y2K hook line and sinker. I think I still have a bucket or 2 of hard red winter wheat in the garage. :confused:
My favorite prediction for Y2K actually came true when some wag said "Come January 2000, I predict a lot of dogs will be eating a lot of MREs".

Y2K was a valid risk - it wasn't a hoax as some people still say. Software engineers like me spent a lot of time fixing software, or writing new software to replace the old software. I did my part; it only took me a few hours to fix the software I was working on. But it was real and it did cost billions to fix and test to make sure it was fixed. The fact that there wasn't much of an impact was mostly because of that effort.

A guy on ifish posted a need for 22 ammo so he could teach his daughter how to shoot. Willing to pay top $. I told him to pm me his addy and I dumped a brick into a $6.95 mailer.

He offered to pay me after the box arrived. I told him to KMA, take your daughter shooting.

That's how it's supposed to work.
P
Huzzah - you da man!
Did the same for three customers. Gave Federal 325 bulk packs to two of them and 4 boxes of 9mm to another. You betcha they appreciated it.

Y2K was a valid risk - it wasn't a hoax as some people still say. Software engineers like me spent a lot of time fixing software, or writing new software to replace the old software. I did my part; it only took me a few hours to fix the software I was working on. But it was real and it did cost billions to fix and test to make sure it was fixed. The fact that there wasn't much of an impact was mostly because of that effort.

Did the same for a lot of automation systems. Though it was rare to encounter date systems being incorporated into automation, the threat was real. The most common usage of date was day of week incorporated into automatic functions, like the air raid siren test at Noon every Wednesday.

Last Edited:
When it was getting close we had a good stock of "stuff" but we always do. Wife started to get a little worried about it seeing people buying a trailer load of food and such. I kept telling her we would be fine. A lot of those people with a pile of food did not own a gun. If it really fell apart they would feed us to protect what they had:D
We keep enough stuff to last a couple weeks at least al the time in case of a natural disaster. Up here it would be a good enough shake to bring down the power and water for a while. As long as the house does not fall down we will be fine. Y2K was just another example of how many will believe people who say the sky is falling. It could well have caused some "glitches" but the way so many just went crazy was funny to watch.

Yeah, I was on a local board of some kind the night of Y2K and listened to the survivalists give status reports/etc.

I remember one guy talking about how he was storing all his food and water on the floor because when the poles shifted the gravity would pin him to the floor. I still don't know if he was serious or trolling.

Yeah, I was on a local board of some kind the night of Y2K and listened to the survivalists give status reports/etc.

I remember one guy talking about how he was storing all his food and water on the floor because when the poles shifted the gravity would pin him to the floor. I still don't know if he was serious or trolling.
The funny and sad part is even if he was making a joke there are a LOT of people who would fall for that. As a recent example look at that Apple phone that they did away with the headphone jack on. Some guy as a lark did a video saying they just "forgot" the hole. Showed him put the phone in a vice and drill a hole in it. Apparently a bunch of people living in the parents basement, with enough disposable income to afford one of these phones tried this. Then started calling Apple saying they wanted them to replace the phone:s0140:

Y2K was very real for 1 day for my neighbor. Courtesy of me and my brother. He was a paranoid prepper, so I turned off his power at the stroke of midnight, while my brother turned off the water.

I managed to get good deals on the SKS at that time after 2008; then made more than my money back on the Norinco SKS and the Izhevsk 54 SKS..... as well as their ammo and I want to say, Yugoslav clips or something like that, they were parkerized and far more reliable than the NCstar crap at that time. Got a decent deal on Sarco Inc's flattop AR15 kit a few years after the great panic of 2012.... and since then have noticed prices of ARs dropping.

I remember 1994 quite well... almost overnight, the gun shows would be full of $2,000+ post ban ARs and $4,000 pre ban Colt HBAR Sporters with A1 uppers...and pricing stayed about that high well into the 2000s for certain AR15s with 10rd mags in Rochester NY and Oregon... before NY state went full stupid on them.

What will happen to AR15 prices on secondary market if it looks like anti-gunners will be taking over in November's national election? I have a few more firearms to get rid of and I'm wondering if I should sell them now or wait until after the election. I have less than $6000 of credit card debt remaining and I'm hoping to have it all paid off by the end of this year. With the amount of supply out there right now (especially AR lowers) I am thinking prices might not jump up much higher.

What will happen to AR15 prices on secondary market if it looks like anti-gunners will be taking over in November's national election? I have a few more firearms to get rid of and I'm wondering if I should sell them now or wait until after the election. I have less than $6000 of credit card debt remaining and I'm hoping to have it all paid off by the end of this year. With the amount of supply out there right now (especially AR lowers) I am thinking prices might not jump up much higher.
If the anti gunners take over, then yes, the prices will go up and panic buying continue. That's a big IF. Then there is the economy. If we hit a depression, then how many will have cash to buy guns?

If the anti gunners take over, then yes, the prices will go up and panic buying continue. That's a big IF. Then there is the economy. If we hit a depression, then how many will have cash to buy guns?
Good point, I am not sure we'll see a depression anytime soon. If we get another round of stimulus rolling out towards the end of the year that could add fire to any post election buying frenzy.

A higher base level has already been set due to covid and riot induced panic buying. Post election panic buying might get us back to prices or beyond what we saw during 2012/13.

I have noticed a lot of AR parts are harder to come by and priced higher recently. Maybe people are finally going to build up all those lowers they've been hoarding.

We won't see a stimulus before the election - the two parties have decided to use that as an election issue to beat each other about the head and shoulders.

If Biden wins, we may or may not see a stimulus - but we won't before February.

If Trump wins - ditto - but even less likely as he has won and now there is no motivation to push a stimulus as everything will "magically go away" and his handlers don't want a stimulus.

Either way, a "depression"? No. But we are already in a recession and will be well into 2021.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews