JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all I'd love to get some advice on my next gun purchase. I'm currently a CCW holder with a Sig 365 9mm. It's a sweet gun and been a lot of fun at the range as well as comfortable for my day to day. Recently Iv has my eye out for another gun purchase and I'm just not certain which direction to go.

First thing, I'm looking for a home defense rifle. I really like the idea of an AR however I would hate to buy one and then see an AR ban come down the line. Iv been considering a mini-14 (since it fires a similar to an AR) or a Winchester lever action (I'm incredibly biased about how cool those guns are) as my "ban proof" options. However I'm open to all suggestions.

Next, I'm getting really interested in competition shooting. My local gun club is really into it and it seems like a fun hobby. It would be cool if the rifle I choose could also be used for both the above use as well as competing. However, I totally understand if I'm asking too much. Haha.

Lastly, choosing the caliber is another consideration. I would want a round that's obviously effective but also not crazy expensive. What ever rifle I choose, it would nice I could take it to the range often and not break the bank you know? Haha.

Likely this last part might be best served by a Ruger .22 but I figured I'd mention it.

Well that's it. Any and all advice would be great. Especially if you have a background in competition shooting. I'm really curious if my current pistol is even relevant for that stuff. And if it isn't, what people would recommend for casual competition.

Thanks yal

I'd consider a 9mm carbine long gun so you can use your ammo in both guns. If one gun breaks, pick up the other one and keep shootin'. Think Ruger makes one - I don't have one myself. Is there a carbine you can shoot 9 and 22 from by switching barrels? Someone will know.

I think if Harris becomes President, she will restrict or confiscate all semi-autos, and that would include any 9mm carbine long gun. Sort comments below that article by "best" - there are some good ones.

Last Edited:
Whatever ban that would affect an AR would also affect a Mini-14, or any other semi-auto rifle, per Washington's expansion of what constitutes an "assault rifle".

I'm troubled by the attitude of not wanting to buy a certain kind of gun for fear of the government declaring it illegal in the future. With millions of ARs in the hands of lawful gun owners, any kind of a broad ban on those rifles will surely be met with resistance and outright rebellion. At least, if America has any spark left in it's soul, there will be.

Whatever ban that would affect an AR would also affect a Mini-14, or any other semi-auto rifle, per Washington's expansion of what constitutes an "assault rifle".

I'm troubled by the attitude of not wanting to buy a certain kind of gun for fear of the government declaring it illegal in the future. With millions of ARs in the hands of lawful gun owners, any kind of a broad ban on those rifles will surely be met with resistance and outright rebellion. At least, if America has any spark left in it's soul, there will be.
To be fair, I purchased an M82A1 because I wanted one for a decade or more and I didn't want to get left in the dust if future sale of semi automatic rifles was banned, so I can understand where he's coming from, just not the attitude of not wanting one. I feel like he should want one more

I'd pick up a 9mm Stribog or a PTR HK clone. There will be ammo available soon enough no matter which way the election goes. There reaches a saturation point of hoarding.

I'd pick up a 9mm Stribog or a PTR HK clone. There will be ammo available soon enough no matter which way the election goes. There reaches a saturation point of hoarding.
I don't know, man.... Eventually 9 will come back but how long until eventually happens? Right now .40 is looking pretty good. Give it a few years and it'll be ugly again... And then a few years, etc etc etc.

OP, there is a competitive shooting section here on the forum. There are many types of competitions you can do. IDPA, Speed Steel, USPSA, 3 gun, etc.

Look into those and see what floats your boat and then go from there. You did not mention what gun club you belong to, but most have matches every weekend of some sort or another. Check their calendar and go check some of them out.

ust-add-water-yellow-octopus-31494244490_1024x1024.jpg

Get the AR
If you're going to carry a rifle size gun, carry rifle size power.
Don't worry about bans, they'll either happen or they won't but if they do, you'll regret not getting that AR when you still had the opportunity.

Within the OP parameters, I'd certainly lean toward an AR and I'm not a huge AR fanboy...

@tcadonau Go buy a good 22 rifle first. There are a lot of choices just from Ruger alone.
If you're into the modification thing, then the 10/22 is the king.

You may loose a gun. You may loose a good partner. And You may burry a couple of beloved dogs in your like.
Never let that stop you from experiencing them.

You should have several copies of all the rifles you mention.
Just keep collecting and you soon will.

And for gods sake. Pick up an M1 Rifle, and a couple of .30 carbines.

Get a decent AR Lower, matching (if you can) Upper and a barrel. The rest of the parts won't be "banned" and you can pick up at your leisure later if you want an AR. If you decide you don't want an AR or don't want one Right Now, you'll have the salient parts that idiots will be trying to get us to register and ban FoR tHE cHilDreN. This way you're only out $2-300. As for the game gun, pick the game, then pick the gun. And definitely get a lever-action! For stoopid fun, very little beats it in pistol caliber giggles.

I would suggest that you get whatever firearms you like and can afford.

As far as bans go....Any firearm can make the cut to be on "Someone's you can't own this list."

My choices for what you have stated in the "Home Defense" category would be :
Winchester 94 Carbine in .30-30
AR15
Some sort of 9mm Carbine , preferably one that takes SIG 365 magazines...if that was an option.

As far as "competition" goes...
There are many types of firearm and rifle competition styles out there...
What do you mean by , "competition"...?
Some rifles can serve for many uses , some rifles are solely for competition.

A "one size fits all " type of rifle can be found and used well...
But , it is wise to remember that "one size fits all" can also easily turn out to be
"one size fits none."
Andy

IMHO......
The Ruger Mini 14 is a poor substitute for an AR. I will/might probably get flack for that statement but as I said it's my opinion.

VOTE, educate yourself and others and get involved especially if you're thinking that a ban is coming/is possible.

Aloha, Mark

I'll just add my .02 here, but the SKS can still be had reasonably cheap, and the powerful 7.62x39 cartridge is still available, unlike everything else. At 10-round magazine capacity it is unlikely to be banned.

IMHO......
The Ruger Mini 14 is a poor substitute for an AR. I will/might probably get flack for that statement but as I said it's my opinion.

Mark is not wrong. The Mini 14 is probably the worst firearm I have ever purchased. Once the barrel heats up (which is very quick) you can forget about accuracy. And the Mini 14 is expensive. I say stay away.

Go with the AR, by changing the upper you can shoot a totally different caliber..
(mags too).

A mini 14 is what someone starts with OR what they get after they have a couple of ARs and want something different
(such as myself). Its a good rifle (the mini), I love mine.. but its not at all modular and the factory mag prices are silly expensive compared to AR mags.
Get while the getting is still good, ARs are the way to go because you can change up calibers and fit the rifle to your exact taste.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews