JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We have a gunsmith in our area that knows more about guns, what works and what doesn't, than most of the shops in the state. Jeff Hutchins at Range Master gun works of Lebanon Oregon is in my opinion one of the most qualified people to give expert advise on what works. He lives and breathes guns, builds them and keeps guns running for those that don't know how. He is an honest man.

He hunts so he knows caliber performance first hand and has carried for years knowing what works for him. Knowing what breaks in most models he can look at you and see if you will ever shoot enough to wear one out.:D

From what I've seen of Jeff's work, he is a good gunsmith. He has more experience than me gunsmithing, so I would certainly give him the nod there. As for general gun knowledge, I can hold my own with him I imagine. That isn't a slight to him, nor is it arrogance on my part. He's been in business long enough to be doing something right.

Comparatively to this gentleman, the counter commandos are geniuses. One thing I have learned over my short but full years. That is never teach or advise someone you love on something overly complicated. It just breeds contempt and bad feelings, and usually (at least in my experience), the novice has preconceived notions about their loved one, and it makes for a poor teaching environment. My experience has shown this in both fly fishing and shooting.

I won't say I know everything about either subject, but I have, at different times been an expert in fly fishing (at least I made a good living doing it and teaching it), and an expert in general gun knowledge and function. There are certainly people who know more about both subjects, but by sheer experience, I am very well informed.

I have people come into my shop regularly who say they want some particular firearm and no other will do. In this case, the salesman not only had the right, but also the obligation to try to do best by his customer. The fact is, that no gun is often safer than the wrong gun. The Sig is a very good gun, but a cocked and locked pistol is not a novice gun. Even police departments who switch over to 1911's from striker guns require officers to do through a transition class, and these are people who carry a gun for a living, who have to prove competency at least once a year. Sadly, in this case, the son did his parents a disservice by recommending this gun for a novice shooter, the parents did themselves a disservice by taking that advice as gospel, and the poor salesman did all he could.

He may not be an expert, like you insinuated Jim, but he was asking the questions that needed to be asked. Honestly, I would say she probably would have ended up with a less expensive gun than the Sig, had they followed the salesman's advice. Seems like he did his best until the customer refused to listen and then sold him the gun.

I get it, some folkes like yourself really care about the work you do. Now look at all the other places in our area and ask yourself if they care. You know the list, bimart,pawnshops,Fredmeyer,coin and gun shops and so on. To them it's just making a sale to a person who wants the best price.

It may not sound like it but I am 100% behind your way of business because I understand responsibility to keep our neighbors safe. I am just pointing out my opinion by what I see.

From what I've seen of Jeff's work, he is a good gunsmith. He has more experience than me gunsmithing, so I would certainly give him the nod there. As for general gun knowledge, I can hold my own with him I imagine. That isn't a slight to him, nor is it arrogance on my part. He's been in business long enough to be doing something right.

I have been around a long time and had a number of guns worked on. Two things stand out to me that if either are not there the man won't work on my gun. He must be competent in his work and he must be honest.

Competent that he can do the project and make it look right as well as work right. No shoddy workmanship.

Honest in that he stands behind the work after a price has been agreed on. I have taken work to smith's that change their price when you go pick up the gun. "Oh I had to spend an extra hour fitting the hand so it's $50 more". A honest man and good workman would never do things like that.

Gun world is a small world, a bad name will really hurt business but a good name will keep it going for a lifetime. Jeff is a good honest man that knows his work. If you are as good I am sure you will do good. Good luck with the business.

Jim

I know what jobs to take and which jobs to send to Jeff. The difference between Jeff and I is that I also run a retail shop full time. He (perhaps smartly) only opens three days a week. That gives him a distinct advantage. I have a pregnant wife and a two year old at home. If I took every job in, I would never see them. So I send a good amount of business to Jeff, simply because I don't want to take it in and make a customer wait for over a month for a job that should only take a few days. Like I said, he has a good little shop from what I hear, so I have little issue sending people to him.

Almost every place that sells guns has to sell other products to pay the bills. Pawns or coin and gun shops can't survive on the gun business because it is feast or famine. When guns are really selling you can't get them in to sell and when they are not selling you can go months with few customers.

Jeff has made it all these years by building his business selling good service. Good service is always needed even when the gun market is down.

Back to the Op's topic. Imagine if you got that same response from an online gun shop. They wouldn't stay In business very long. It's your right to buy whatever you want legally, even if somebody else thinks you shouldn't. I hope it stays that way.

I will stop in one day and see what you can sell me;).

+1
I'm in Eugene and love it out in Sweet Home. I'll be sure to drop in next time I'm in the area. Mountain Bear seems like good good people. Support your LGS! Double support your local Gunsmith as they are more rare than a Tea Party rally in downtown Eugene....;)

Back to the Op's topic. Imagine if you got that same response from an online gun shop. They wouldn't stay In business very long. It's your right to buy whatever you want legally, even if somebody else thinks you shouldn't. I hope it stays that way.

The reason small shops like mine still exist is because there is someone knowledgable behind the counter.

I flat cannot compete with the big box stores on some items, much less the drop-ship online retailers. I have regular customers because they come in for my opinion. I don't force things down their throats, but I generally have more experience with gun related things than they do. It all goes back to customer service. Part of that service is making sure people know what they're getting when they drop $600...

1) The salesperson decided to use jargon to qualify his customer. Newbies feel very incompetent and sometimes even nervous going into a gun store. If someone is not used to being the ignorant one in the room (the Audi suggests he is probably a leader in some industry), they might be very put off by being made to FEEL ignorant. Thus, the 10-foot-pole of, "Get me what I want and shut up."

2) If the LGS person wanted to ask some questions, perhaps it should have been once the gun was in the hand. "May I show you how this .380 works?" might go a lot farther than a bunch of jargon. "Single action" "Cocked and locked" don't quite get into someone's mind unless they understand what you're saying.

3) Funny thing is that the Sig P238 is probably a higher profit margin than a Glock 42. It would be way higher than a Kahr CM9. The salesperson made the right call by just dropping it and selling the gun THEY WANTED.

No wonder the people at Keith's Sporting Goods never smile. It is probably a parade of know-it-alls and blow-hards, mixed with jerks and an occasional nice bloke. I try to be the nice bloke who goes in and then gets out of way during my BG check.

Rereading the OP, what jumped out at me was that a serious marriage problem was being evidenced during a gun purchase. At no point during the transaction did the woman (who the gun was actually for) ever speak up or assert herself in any way. Apparently, in their marriage it is her husbands job to speak on her behalf and make important personal choices for her. I can tell you that in my marriage, if we were ever in a store and putting down $500 or more on an item that was specifically for my wife, it would be her talking to the salesman and making the final decision, not me.

That's the way it should be no? Husband in charge?
That's why I agree that the gun will never leave the house.Or it will never be loaded.
She will never carry it cocked and locked. Heck I know a lawyer back home who is afraid to carry that way and he shoots competition.. That's why I said just do the paper work. HE is telling her she needs a gun.
SHE probably doesn't want it and after he's at work,he can't make he carry it.
Sometimes you have to read the people and decide if they are going to accept your advise or just do what they want.
The way he sounded ,he wasn't going to take advise from anyone he didn't know. Make the sale.
Let the kid take the responsibility.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads