JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's an idea, when you go to the FFL to sell your gun and they offer you insultingly low money, add $50-$100 to their offer and sell the gun here👍 Seller gets more $$$(and faster) and buyer gets a deal.

Something tells me you used to work at a used car dealership who specialized in buying the cheapest POS cars you could get at auction and house financed buyers who had no other means of acquiring credit, defaulting on them the second they missed that first payment on their 60% APR loan.

Hypothetical question - SO if you, as the 'guinea pig', test this out and it works is your intention to present this to other customers so they too can deposit X amount of cash with the FFL to do the same?
That's the idea. If you were to offer it without requiring cash in advance it would raise all kinds of follow through problems Andy raised. It would basically be like like an escrow payment

Here is the problem:

Seller comes in with firearm that FFL could easly sell for $500 but seller wants $200. FFL won't pay more than $100 so the seller walks.

What is a good solution:

How can the FFL salvage more of these deals without giving up any margin on money he puts at risk?
Consignment sales. FFL consigns item for seller. Doesn't tie up his (or your) money to have inventory to fill their shelves. If people involved in the process aren't greedy (here is usually the rub) then the buyer could get their $200 and the shop could make some $ without putting any of their cash out. What is your % return on zero cash outlay (since this is a focus you have shared)…

Turning over inventory at more reasonable prices brings in new customer interest. Anyone recall seeing the same ridiculously overpriced guns sitting for long time for sale at a pawn shop…that were probably purchased - strike that- "acquired" for next to nothing?

Consignment sales. FFL consigns item for seller. Doesn't tie up his (or your) money to have inventory to fill their shelves. If people involved in the process aren't greedy (here is usually the rub) then the buyer could get their $200 and the shop could make some $ without putting any of their cash out. What is your % return on zero cash outlay (since this is a focus you have shared)…

Turning over inventory at more reasonable prices brings in new customer interest. Anyone recall seeing the same ridiculously overpriced guns sitting for long time for sale at a pawn shop…that were probably purchased - strike that- "acquired" for next to nothing?
That is a great solution and I have suggested it to the FFL before. He said that it would present accounting problems that he didn't want to deal with. I suspect he also doesn't want the consignment firearms competing with his inventory.

You are spot on with inventory turnover as well. I have tried to convince him of that but he is very set in his ways. Next time you are in you might notice one of the high dollar items finally sold.

Here's something else to consider........

You keep making thread after thread that involves your employer and they will likely will read every post. Now, I know that I posted my personal experience and distaste, but I don't work for them. You do. And all of these ideas that you post to put more cheap guns in your safe could be putting THEIR livelihood at risk. Honestly, you are running customers off from visiting there because of your obsession. Maybe you don't realize it, or maybe you just think its funny to make all these questionable threads.....but you are airing out your grievances and coming up with ideas to manipulate their business to your advantage. And in turn alienating many members here that could have been potential customers.

You are spot on with inventory turnover as well. I have tried to convince him of that but he is very set in his ways. Next time you are in you might notice one of the high dollar items finally sold.
If you are affiliated with the place I believe you are, I don't go there to shop, or to supply inventory. I have done a few transfers there over the years , with a color copy of a drivers' license 🙂, out of convenience/agreement with the other party on a transaction.

His business (I assume), his way of operating. Since you are a creative guy, clearly interested in firearms, why not apply for a FFL yourself as others have suggested and give it a go?

I think what could be of help is perhaps OP could list hours he works so people know when to not go there. If it's the place I'm thinking of I only go within minutes of opening on the slowest weekdays and the only person there is the young Asian looking guy and (I assume) his dad the owner. That young guy is great to work with (the only reason I go there is my regular ffl doesn't do the 3-5 day transfer). If I went in and ran into the OP I would turn around and leave. I won't risk my personal info being in such hands. I should probably not go there any more just to be on the safe side.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR