JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, basically this gun shop pulled a Bud Light move and likely ruined any chance of continuing business in the foreseeable future!

Lots of people dont know there are p80 holster makers online.
Some, yes. But selection is extremely limited. Many of the better holster mfg's don't provide P80 fitment guides, yet those designed for other model handguns may fit perfectly. In other cases... they will show fitment for... say... a full size, but don't offer any fitment information for compacts or sub-compacts.

Last Edited:
Yes. And they also issue machine guns and grenade launchers without a tax stamp…..

Just cause it gets issued to you doesn't mean you get to own the same thing or take them home with you.

They are heavily monitored. Signed in and signed out. And if one goes missing you and your entire unit will have hell to pay. They aren't with you 24/7 in garrison. Only while training or on duty.

On top of that if you have personal firearms and live on base you are required to register them with the installation and have them stored in the armory on base. You can only check them in and out while the armory is open.

The military is fickle…. For example HR218 says that military police with LE Creds can conceal carry in all 50 states. Federally it's legal but if caught the Marine Corps will NJP you cause they say you are not authorized to conceal carry off base.

And there is no conceal carry on base unless your CID.
You know how many guns were in the barracks? We were supposed to do the same thing - did not always work that way.

I am confused. :confused: if there was no serial number then how could ownership be determined?

Man brought the p80 in but that doesn't make him the owner does it? Without a serial number he is in possession of a P80 and the store clerk took it from him which makes him in possession of a P80.

Where is the proof of ownership with no serial number?

if there was no serial number then how could ownership be determined?
Well, I'd start with the age old standard of 'possession' for one - however A serial number does NOT necessarily determine ownership unless there is some sort of registration requirement for the state etc.

I own MANY guns with serial numbers that have no connection to 'me' , my name etc. These were purchased PRE SB 941.

Don't forget there are some vintage guns that were never serialized.

Last Edited:
Man brought the p80 in but that doesn't make him the owner does it?
Well, yes it does as he was in 'possession' of it.

I have in my lifetime taken many guns into LGSs to determine holster fitments etc. and no one has ever questioned my 'ownership' of them, checked the ser #s to determine 'ownership' etc.

Ever take your car in for service? Did They call the DMV to make sure it is really yours?

I guess I am kinda missing where you are 'coming from' with your ideas about gun ownership/serial numbers etc.

Well, I'd start with the age old standard of 'possession' for one - however A serial number does NOT necessarily determine ownership unless there is some sort of registration requirement for the state etc.

I own MANY guns with serial numbers that have no connection to 'me' , my name etc. These were purchased PRE SB 941.

Don't forget there are some vintage guns that were never serialized.
Guy drives in a car to get tires, it doesn't mean he owns the car. Just pointing out that just because a man is in possession of something it doesn't make him the owner.

Not trying to argue but without something to prove he owned it like a serial number then I just don't see how ownership is determined.

Say they traced that gun to a crime by ballistics, who is to say he didn't just find the gun and wasn't the original owner?

Not trying to argue but without something to prove he owned it like a serial number then I just don't see how ownership is determined.
Ownership was not the reason he brought it in. He was looking for a holster.

Should EVERY LGS attempt to determine if a gun brought in (other than to sell, transfer, consign) be 'checked' for proper ownership before the customer is helped?

A serial # does NOT prove ownership unless there is a registration requirement linking the ser # to the gun.

Do YOU own any guns you bought FTF (non FFL TRF) pre SB 941? If so how would you (or anybody) prove you owned them?

Correct me if I am wrong but you seem to be alluding to the notion there SHOULD be a method to ensure a gun is somehow undeniably 'linked' to the owner and can be determined quickly and easily.....

Last Edited:
I am confused. :confused: if there was no serial number then how could ownership be determined?

Man brought the p80 in but that doesn't make him the owner does it? Without a serial number he is in possession of a P80 and the store clerk took it from him which makes him in possession of a P80.

Where is the proof of ownership with no serial number?
It wasn't a proof of ownership thing.
Proof of ownership is not the job of the LGS to determine.
The customer was there to possibly buy a holster, period.

It was a LGS playing cop.
They went waaay outside their lane.

Last Edited:
I'd be willing to bet this gun store goes out of business because of this dumb a$$ stunt. 🤦🏻‍♂️ wither they were right or wrong. I'd give them a year and a half tops
They should have some kind of repercussions. As mentioned in the article, a gun shop/store/FFL does not have the legal power to confiscate property of any kind.

There is always some idiot who thinks they know the law, but doesn't - and it seems like FFLs/LGSs have their share of idiots along these lines (and others - "experts" on guns, self-defense, etc.).

It doesn't take too much thought, knowledge or experience to know that a person who is not a LEO has little or no power to confiscate private property!

Ownership was not the reason he brought it in. He was looking for a holster.

Should EVERY LGS attempt to determine if a gun brought in (other than to sell, transfer, consign) be 'checked' for proper ownership before the customer is helped?

A serial # does NOT prove ownership unless there is a registration requirement linking the ser # to the gun.

Do YOU own any guns you bought FTF (non FFL TRF) pre SB 941? If so how would you (or anybody) prove you owned them?

Correct me if I am wrong but you seem to be alluding to the notion there SHOULD be a method to ensure a gun is somehow undeniably 'linked' to the owner and can be determined quickly and easily.....
You are not getting my point but it's my poor writing and not your comprehensive ability.

Man brings a gun in to buy a holster and the clerk takes it from him.

The young man may have come in with the gun because his father asked him to find a holster.

Point being that at the time of the clerk stealing the gun there was no proof of who owned it.

You are not getting my point but it's my poor writing and not your comprehensive ability.

Man brings a gun in to buy a holster and the clerk takes it from him.

The young man may have come in with the gun because his father asked him to find a holster.

Point being that at the time of the clerk stealing the gun there was no proof of who owned it.
The kid being under 21 was not sufficient cause to steal the gun from him.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top