JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was in the LGS today...and noticed a pretty fancy family (mid 50's) come in....the A8 in the parking lot confirmed it. I was waiting for my BC to come back....close as I can relay it..

Counter: " Can I help you?"
Man: " Yes...I am looking for a handgun for my wife..for protection..she just got her handgun license...I am here to look at a "Sigauer 238P in .308"...
Counter: "You mean a Sig Sauer P238 in .380ACP I'm sure (in a nice tone too....)" Has your wife every owned a pistol before? Fired one?
Man: "No"
Counter: "May I suggest a few other options that might be....." (CUT OFF)
Man: "No...I want the Sig for her. My son said it was the best...."
Counter: "The P238 is probably not the best choice for a first time gun owner or shooter. It is a single action only pistol designed to be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 and that may be....(CUT OFF)
Man: "Single what?"
Counter: "Single action only....it means" (CUT OFF)
Man: "Well take the Sig. Let her pick out the model and color she likes and lets get the paperwork started...."
Counter: (Cue cricket noises....small but steady exhale) "Ok..."

I am NOT the world's firearm expert....but I know a few things...she's out there fellas....with a SAO pistol...in her purse. God help us....:)

She will either try to shoot with the safety on or get lazy and leave it off and accidentally shoot herself or someone else.

I gradually brought my wife up to 1911 style pistols after she felt comfortable shooting Glocks or Smith and Wesson revolvers. She does not carry her Kimber, but really likes to shoot it. I would not let her carry it yet for CCW purposes.

I let my wife choose the weapon she felt the most comfortable with. She carries a Glock 19 or Smith & Wesson revolver for winter. She carries a Ruger LC9s in the nice weather. I would rather her feel comfortable and proficient than not feel good about it a skip carrying anything.

Last Edited:
I was in the LGS today...and noticed a pretty fancy family (mid 50's) come in....the A8 in the parking lot confirmed it. I was waiting for my BC to come back....close as I can relay it..

Counter: " Can I help you?"
Man: " Yes...I am looking for a handgun for my wife..for protection..she just got her handgun license...I am here to look at a "Sigauer 238P in .308".

Counter: "You mean a Sig Sauer P238 in .380ACP I'm sure (in a nice tone too....)" Has your wife every owned a pistol before? Fired one?
Man: "No"
Counter: "May I suggest a few other options that might be....." (CUT OFF)
Man: "No...I want the Sig for her. My son said it was the best...."
Counter: "The P238 is probably not the best choice for a first time gun owner or shooter. It is a single action only pistol designed to be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 and that may be....(CUT OFF)
Man: "Single what?"
Counter: "Single action only....it means" (CUT OFF)
Man: "Well take the Sig. Let her pick out the model and color she likes and lets get the paperwork started...."
Counter: (Cue cricket noises....small but steady exhale) "Ok..."

I am NOT the world's firearm expert....but I know a few things...she's out there fellas....with a SAO pistol...in her purse. God help us....:)

I wonders who is more clueless the husband or the wife.

I hope she gets some good training before she starts carrying.The husband already showed he could use some.

My wife's first gun was a 32 beretta tomcat purchased in nearly the same way. We all learn.

Eventually took her to a gun show where she fondled every gun there until the glock 19 picked her.

Hopefully she takes to the platform, I know my daughter really did.

Its also possible the son is a firearms owner and will take his mom out and teach her the basic's. Or maybe the private instructor has already been scheduled. OR she can figure it out when she uses it on her dumb butt hubby.

Amazing.. I thought this was going to turn into another weekly installment of "you will never believe what a D Bag the LGS clerk is" threads.

Maybe Mark W. is right, hopefully she does get some training...

First thought that came to mind is more and more people are getting fear full and buying guns. People who normally live in good neighborhoods and should have nothing to worry about are arming up... change we were promised.

Second the guy came in knowing what he wanted and the salesman tried to sell him something he didnt. People new to guns don't look at salesmen as experts in the field but just as salesmen. They are more likely to believe family than those just making a buck selling guns.

Last thing is they did buy a good quality gun so they were smart enough to not be sold a cheap pile of junk. It's up to them to get training with it, odds are they won't seek training from a salesman.

I dont know what you guys are so worried about. The gun will get stuck in a little $400 lock box in her massive walk in closet and probably never have a single round fired though it.

The salesman was doing his job and was providing sound advice to novice gun owners...I would expect the same buying paint or a lawn tractor. The salesman was properly qualifying the customer and it fell on deaf ears...

I manage a retail environment and can tell you from experience that a large portion of individuals have little grasp of what they need versus what they want...that's why you qualify customers...advice from a professional should be considered by those that have the potential to cause harm or even death to themselves or others..

Sales people are rarely involved in anything but sales. They push what they can make the most money on. We have one gun store in town that the owner is an ex cop and carried a gun on a daily basis. I would consider him an expert and would listen to his advice.

The rest of our shops are gun shop warriors that can't afford a decent gun because of the low pay they get working at the shop. Most owners are just every day plinkers and rarely do they even hunt. Their life is around sales, they read to inform themselves to be better salesmen. They can pass on good information they have read but the majority are not experts.

Heck, I ain't no expert and I have been a gun nut all my life. Carried guns for more years than most of them sales guys have been alive yet I am no expert. All I could ever tell anyone is what has worked for me, I would never try to "sell" someone on what's best for them. If I am wrong and they get killed then what does that make me?

Everyone is different, no shoe fits all sizes and no gun fits all people. JMHO and I am sure others disagree because like guns no one opinion fits us all.:D

Jim....you have terrible salesmen then...my clients are relationships I have developed over time based on exceptional service and sound advice...repeat customers provide sales.

Jim....you have terrible salesmen then...my clients are relationships I have developed over time based on exceptional service and sound advice...repeat customers provide sales.

Don't get me wrong, the gun business is important and it saves lives but some of the shop owners can only afford minimum wage employees that barely know how to sell much less what different people need. There are some good gun shops that the owners hire knowledgeable employees but most mom and pop shops hire their relatives just to give em a job.:D Ya that was bad to say.:confused:

It's not a low opinion of the people, it's a reality of the business. I sound like a jerk but like I said it's just my honest opinion.

Comparatively to this gentleman, the counter commandos are geniuses. One thing I have learned over my short but full years. That is never teach or advise someone you love on something overly complicated. It just breeds contempt and bad feelings, and usually (at least in my experience), the novice has preconceived notions about their loved one, and it makes for a poor teaching environment. My experience has shown this in both fly fishing and shooting.

I won't say I know everything about either subject, but I have, at different times been an expert in fly fishing (at least I made a good living doing it and teaching it), and an expert in general gun knowledge and function. There are certainly people who know more about both subjects, but by sheer experience, I am very well informed.

I have people come into my shop regularly who say they want some particular firearm and no other will do. In this case, the salesman not only had the right, but also the obligation to try to do best by his customer. The fact is, that no gun is often safer than the wrong gun. The Sig is a very good gun, but a cocked and locked pistol is not a novice gun. Even police departments who switch over to 1911's from striker guns require officers to do through a transition class, and these are people who carry a gun for a living, who have to prove competency at least once a year. Sadly, in this case, the son did his parents a disservice by recommending this gun for a novice shooter, the parents did themselves a disservice by taking that advice as gospel, and the poor salesman did all he could.

He may not be an expert, like you insinuated Jim, but he was asking the questions that needed to be asked. Honestly, I would say she probably would have ended up with a less expensive gun than the Sig, had they followed the salesman's advice. Seems like he did his best until the customer refused to listen and then sold him the gun.

I would have started the paper work for them and then explained what the action was like.I think she was told to get a great little hand gun.She will probably not carry it for some time,unless she's a red head.:rolleyes:
I don't know what the son did. I met a guy in Sequim who looked like a normal guy,as did his son. Dad was retired special forces and son was Seal team commander. Maybe the salesman knows more than him? Better at training?
Obviously not the case for dad here but the son?

I think the salesman should have pulled the one she wanted and done the paper work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top