JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And of course, technology marches on...

Bought a few of these for family this year. View attachment 416081
Ha! My daughter bought one of those for me for Christmas! It connects to my iPhone for music and hands-free phone calls. I'm a bit dubious of its usefulness for me other than for when I'm outside working. I tried it on the tractor plowing just now and couldn't hear a thing, but I think it will be nice when splitting firewood or shoveling snow.

I won't wear it while out in the woods walking the dogs because it seriously degrades my situational awareness. I need to hear the dogs, where they are, and any other forest noises. Besides, I like a little peace and quiet now and then.

Nevertheless, it is a neat little gadget.

A nice pair of hot pants warms me right up.

girls-in-hot-pants-20.jpg

Come on, summer!

Heat rises, your head is at the top. It's a heat-sink chimney, empty or not.
WAIT!
STOP!
Hold it a damned minnit.

Please Stomper (The HVAC Guy), don't tell us you believe heat rises.

Hot AIR rises yes.
But heat just radiates.
Heat moves towards cold, taking the path of least resistance through whatever medium it finds itself trapped in.

So, don't fall for Stomper's ploy here folks.

What he's really saying,...
Is you might be an airhead!

:p

WAIT!
STOP!
Hold it a damned minnit.

Please Stomper (The HVAC Guy), don't tell us you believe heat rises.

Hot AIR rises yes.
But heat just radiates.
Heat moves towards cold, taking the path of least resistance through whatever medium it finds itself trapped in.

So, don't fall for Stomper's ploy here folks.

What he's really saying,...
Is you might be an airhead!

:p

I'd wager that if most of y'all stood in front of a mirror and stretched out your lower lip you'd see the words written on the inside, "inflate to 15psi maximum - cold".

Why 15psi you might ask? Because atmospheric pressure exerts approx 14.7psi @ sea level upon your body... it's so your heads won't implode, and any higher they'd explode thus releasing all that gravel in high-velocity fashion and possibly injuring innocent bystanders.... that's why.

5F1D3BFB-44F9-4065-B026-8FA3D25ED0BB.gif

:D

I'd wager that if most of y'all stood in front of a mirror and stretched out your lower lip you'd see the words written on the inside, "inflate to 15psi maximum - cold".

Why 15psi you might ask? Because atmospheric pressure exerts approx 14.7psi @ sea level upon your body... it's so your heads won't implode, and any higher they'd explode thus releasing all that gravel in high-velocity fashion and possibly injuring innocent bystanders.... that's why.

View attachment 416660

:D
Oh great. Now there won't be anymore replies for the next 5 minutes 'cuz everyone will be in the bathroom lookin' at the inside of their lower lip in the mirror, for the recommended inflation pressure.

;)

Ever notice how much warmer just wearing a beanie makes you? I've walked to work with thick jackets and no beanie and still been cold. I've also walked to work with my North Face shell and a beanie and I was toasty warm with much less bulk.

I know they claim that the old Army study about most of your body heat being lost through your head was "proven wrong", but I find it hard to believe that it is wrong based on my personal experience. Just merely wearing a beanie keeps me MUCH warmer. What about you?
Totally agree. Even a simple ball cap on a cold day helps more than you expect.

All else being equal, for a given amount of surface area, your large muscles lose the most heat because they have the most surface area where the most blood flows when work is being done. This would be your upper leg muscles - assuming the exposure to cold is the same as the rest of the body.

However, your head (specifically you hypothalamus) regulates your body temperature. So if you are cold, covering your head certainly helps. Conversely, if you are hot and not in the sun, uncovering your head helps you feel cooler (to a point - it depends on the conditions - certainly if the ambient temp is above your body temp and you are in the sun, covering your head helps somewhat to make you feel cooler, probably does keep you cooler - it depends on what you are doing and your exposure).

I use head coverings to regulate my body temps all the time. I am mostly bald so I wear hats most of the time (except in the office, where I wear a very light jacket if I am cold). I notice the ambient temp on my head a lot more because I don't have much hair to keep air warmed by my head close to my head (which is one reason why I grow a beard come winter).

The main parts of you body to protect in the cold are your core (torso) and your extremities (especially including your head). Your system will constrict the blood flow to your extremities to protect your core where your vital organs are, and to protect your head because you need your brain to function. Keeping your feet and hands warm will keep them functional because constricting flow to them will make them cold and eventually not functional. It will also help keep your core and brain working. When you get hypothermic your brain does not work well (you get stupid) and your heat regulating system has problems while it tries to keep your brain and core functioning.

If someone is hypothermic (not just cold), one strategy is to heat their core first, not their extremities. Let the core warm back up slowly and push the warm blood out to the extremities. It does not hurt to cover the extremities to warm them, but if you are applying heat, then apply it to the core first if possible. One way is to have the person breathe in warm air. Keep a close eye on them - among other things, their brains are not working well.

Having been on SAR missions and other exposures to cold water and snow/etc., I have been hypothermic a few times and I know what it feels like. It can take a while to warm up to where you feel normal again - as in hours.

Not precisely sure what is meant by "beanie" in the context of the conversation... Personally I have worn a beret for many many years.. generally indoor and out, all seasons. Wool head covering which protects the bald spot;) on the top of my head. If the weather is bad or overly sunny I have other options depending on conditions, but for sure there is a beret within reach. It has become over the years my personal "signature" recognisable headgear "Oh, yeah that fuzzy-haired guy with the hat"... and I was wearing them before wearing them became cool... was given the first one by my dad when I was maybe 10 or 11 years old.
The beret stays on my head when the parka hood goes up, adding a bit more to the layer of cold protection.. not that it gets that cold where we live in Southern Colorado..

I usually wear a baseball cap if it's chilly and it makes a huge difference. I wear one when it's hot so my head doesn't burn and to keep the sun out of my eyes.

Being of Eastern European descent I go for a babushka type scarf. Added benefit, you neck is also warm and you can wear it as a shawl in colder buildings. You guys aught to try it sometime. :p

babushka-scarf-1.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9oM0-Xww2h4sriG4bq8pKjcl-75HTmORX54cLGuB9NsXBvs2Q.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top