JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's horrible, I'm sorry to hear about that.

My dog is and never will be off leash outside even though she is already extremely well behaved and trained.

It's unfortunate you've had those experiences, pit breeds are exceptionally loyal and contrary to media propaganda, any dog showing aggression to humans as time went on were put down. Having said that, they do have a history of being used in animal sports and do have a high prey drive. Which is why I will keep mine on a leash for life - not because I am worried she will maul someone or something but because I love her enough to never want to be in a position where I have to defend her from being taken away and possibly put down because of someone else's dog.

I'm sure none of that will change your perception unfortunately. The bad ones give all of them a bad reputation.
All good points. Last one got walked every night off leash. She was such a baby, I protected her. The current one gets walked 70% off leash but with a shock collar. She has an issue with getting too excited to meet another dog.....to play. Gotta go, time for a walk than a Daiquiri for Karaoke night.

1000000538.jpg

I'm sure none of that will change your perception unfortunately. The bad ones give all of them a bad reputation.
I tried, even after the in laws kid.
I loved the four we rescued. I cried like a baby each time we had to put them down. The current one is a chew monster but is still friendly with adults. She don't like kids because she had two bad experiences with them. I can't stand chit parents.
The kid who got mauled might disagree.

Another option is just a metal rod or shovel. Crack it's upper spine and it'll let go.
Lots of times, people think of guns first in these situations. My first thought might be a shovel or similar, which I have several of laying around close at hand. A few hard smacks with a shovel might do it, plus gives me some reach for when the dog lets go. My grandfather killed snakes with a shovel, never owned a gun. He'd just smack them or slice their head off. Guns might not be the best go-to, especially in town. The shovel probably wouldn't lead to trouble with the law or collateral damage.

I like the wasp spray mentioned above, if somebody tries it out, let me know how it works. It's nasty stuff.

Pits are wonderful dogs, but owning one comes with a lot of responsibility and requires a high degree of situational awareness -

Strong, powerful dogs are not for first time owners though.
I don't know if it's just what I'm seeing and not representational, but fairly often I've seen pit bull puppies with homeless people and young, rootless-looking types. Maybe pit bulls are a trendy thing with this lot. Who may also have issues with responsibility.

Samoyed, don't want to leave it mourning over my grave, so I've learned to appreciate our 4 cats as companions
Yeah, I've gone old and gray in the whiskers with the favorite cat of my life. He's 17 years old next month and I keep wondering who will go first, him or me.

To ward off an attack, a taser/CED isn't a bad option, but I wouldn't use one if a dog has a bite hold on someone/something.

"Real world", use whatever you got.
This would be why I said this:
For a situation where one has your pet in its mouth I would shoot it.
If some dog, any dog, has one of mine in its mouth I am going to kill it. I LOVE dogs but I love mine more than some morons who is trying to kill mine.

There was a thread here awhile back on the legality of shooting a dog that attacked your dog while out on a walk.
The consensus was that you would be charged with illegal discharge of a firearm. Different if it attacked you.

You are allowed to protect yourself or someone else from harm but in the case of your dog, they are just considered property, not livestock, and the circumstances would be considered a bad shoot. I wouldn't blame anyone for doing it though and likely would shoot an aggressive dog myself if it meant protecting my dogs but I'll be reporting that it was charging me aggressively, not that it was going after my dog.

I carry pepper spray when walking my dog and always have a pocket knife on me. Slit its throat or cut is jaw open. No chance of hitting your dog and no illegal discharge of a firearm.

Shooting the dog is the easy part. The hard part is when the dog owner draws his own weapon, points it at you and screams "don't hurt my dog". What to do then?

Last Edited:
Lots of times, people think of guns first in these situations. My first thought might be a shovel or similar, which I have several of laying around close at hand. A few hard smacks with a shovel might do it, plus gives me some reach for when the dog lets go. My grandfather killed snakes with a shovel, never owned a gun. He'd just smack them or slice their head off. Guns might not be the best go-to, especially in town. The shovel probably wouldn't lead to trouble with the law or collateral damage.

I like the wasp spray mentioned above, if somebody tries it out, let me know how it works. It's nasty stuff.

I don't know if it's just what I'm seeing and not representational, but fairly often I've seen pit bull puppies with homeless people and young, rootless-looking types. Maybe pit bulls are a trendy thing with this lot. Who may also have issues with responsibility.

Yeah, I've gone old and gray in the whiskers with the favorite cat of my life. He's 17 years old next month and I keep wondering who will go first, him or me.
People who "think" they are going to get a Pit to let go by hitting it have NEVER seen one in attack mode. If you sadly ever have to see it in person you are going to find out that you can beat one until you are worn out and it will not stop. In the mean time while you are beating on the Pit, the dog it got in its teeth will be dead. The bad ones that go after other dogs become killing machines that are amazing to see.

There was a thread here awhile back on the legality of shooting a dog that attacked your dog while out on a walk.
The consensus was that you would be charged with illegal discharge of a firearm. Different if it attacked you.

You are allowed to protect yourself or someone else from harm but in the case of your dog, they are just considered property, not livestock, and the circumstances would be considered a bad shoot. I wouldn't blame anyone for doing it though and likely would shoot an aggressive dog myself if it meant protecting my dogs but I'll be reporting that it was charging me aggressively, not that it was going after my dog.

Shooting the dog is the easy part. The hard part is when the dog owner draws his own weapon, points it at you and screams "don't hurt my dog". What to do then?
You really need to ask what you do when someone points a gun at you? :confused: I know what I will do. What others decide is of course up to them. There is a reason I have been a champion of body Cams for a long time. The first one I ever got Wife bought me over some moron and his loose aggressive dog. She was afraid it was going to lead to someone doing just what you described. While I thankfully have never had to shoot a dog its moron let run loose I have had to use OC on one many times. I have had some REAL close calls with the moron owner of the dog after. Every time this has happened and I point to the camera and tell the moron in full rage that this is all on video the look on their face is a sight to see. Their brain suddenly catches up with their mouth and they stop.

I realize the breed has some attraction for some types of people, but there is no denying that pitbull breeds alone are responsible for a little over 22% of all dog attacks, and training doesn't always override their natural instincts 100% of the time.

"They're a misunderstood breed. My pitbull is a big baby, very well socialized and well trained". EXACTLY what every owner of a pitbull said that suddenly found themselves in a situation where their pitbull suddenly decided to try and bite someone's face off.. for no apparent reason. :D

I'm not saying it's inevitable, but natural instincts can be overpowering if even for a moment. Go ask sigfreid and roy about that.:s0140:

Some places don't have state wide leash laws, but even then, most towns and cities do. I happen to love dogs, but regardless of the breed, I can't stand owners with their dogs off leash. It shows a level of disrespect for others, it's irresponsible... and the impression it gives to others? If a person is irresponsible about leash laws, what makes you think I'm going to trust that person was responsible in training their dog?

Other people don't know you. They don't know your dog. If it goes charging toward someone "just to play"... no one else is going to know that and is more likely to react immediately and defensively. Which... may just trigger a dog to suddenly turn from running up just to say "hi" into attacking.

What's the likely result of that? The owner of course will blame you for provoking their dog to attack instead of taking responsibility for not keeping their dog under complete control while in public. Obviously!!:s0140:

People who "think" they are going to get a Pit to let go by hitting it have NEVER seen one in attack mode. If you sadly ever have to see it in person you are going to find out that you can beat one until you are worn out and it will not stop. In the mean time while you are beating on the Pit, the dog it got in its teeth will be dead. The bad ones that go after other dogs become killing machines that are amazing to see.
I haven't done it myself, but I once saw my father drop one that had ahold of one of our dogs. Cracked it with an ax handle right at the base of the back of the neck, broke it's spine and it hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. Beating it in the body or the head might not do much, but I know what "does" work.:D

Funny Story:

I had a little mini-schnauzer, he was great with people but hated all dogs. Knowing this I'd keep him on a leash when walking him. So, one Saturday morning I took him for a walk to a popular spot, very hilly which helped in tiring him out. I saw about 100 feet away another dog owner with his dog off leash and yelled to him to please put his leash on his dog. As we got closer, I asked again, and he retorted that his dog was friendly. I told him I was concerned about my dog and that he'd go after his dog, still he did nothing. As soon as they passed each other on the trail, my dog leaped about 3-4 feet and bit the other dog's face and gave him hell.

I felt terrible, told the guy I was sorry, and he said I'd told him, and it was his fault.

The story has no point other than maybe dogs off leash isn't the best idea.

I tried, even after the in laws kid.

The kid who got mauled might disagree.
I am sure he would. I have had a cocker spaniel bitee and a lab try to bite me and I don't particularly like those breeds. All of Vick's dogs got adopted out except one. The nanny dog is completely misunderstood. The fact that they are such people pleasers is what has made them so attractive to POS. My neighbors all know me and two have specifically asked that I train their dogs. If they weren't so loyal and smart, I wouldn't have rescued any of them. We got the first one because it was the only one good with cats the rescue had. Since then, we will never have another breed. The current one is 2. I might have it in me for another one after Lolly, maybe. This was right after I posted the previous post.

1000000553.jpg

I carry pepper spray when walking my dog and always have a pocket knife on me. Slit its throat or cut is jaw open. No chance of hitting your dog and no illegal discharge of a firearm.

I had a Sheriff's Deputy tell me the same thing. Two dogs attacked our rabbits and the deputy told me that I could have shot them. He the explained the difference between livestock and pets. OK to protect livestock, not OK to protect pets using deadly force.

Edit: Not that what the Deputy said would prevent me from protecting my pets/family. Lots of people around here have backhoes.

Last Edited:
My take.

Gun deaths and shootings: It's not the gun, it's the shooter.

Pit deaths and bites: It's the pitt.

View attachment 1882739

View attachment 1882737
With both the one responsible should be the one to pay the price. With guns of course all too often the scum are let go and the gun owners who are not criminals are the ones they come after. With dogs that attack or kill? Owner of the animal should have to pay, and pay BIG time. To get the idea around to morons who want a dangerous dog that they are going to pay if they let the damn thing loose.

My take.

Gun deaths and shootings: It's not the gun, it's the shooter.

Pit deaths and bites: It's the pitt.

View attachment 1882739

View attachment 1882737
1. Notice how it says "Pit bull breeds" as in all breeds that people label and mislabel as pit bulls.

That is the equivalent of saying all herding or retrieving breeds and lumping them together to get numbers.

2. Glocks account for most gang violence - because Glock is very easy to rhyme in rap music.

Pits are similar in that they look beefy AF and appeal to a certain type of person as a status symbol.

That doesn't make the breed inherently dangerous and in fact it takes very little research or self education to find out that pits that bit humans were put down and bred out, as they needed to be able to get in the ring without getting bit by the fighting dogs.

Gun deaths = the shooter

Bite deaths = the owner of the dog

That doesn't make the breed inherently dangerous and in fact it takes very little research or self education to find out that pits that bit humans were put down and bred out, as they needed to be able to get in the ring without getting bit by the fighting dogs.
Laughable...but I see where your stance is. Anyone who makes the argument that pits have a screw loose somewhere are just stupid and uneducated. Whatever dude.

How many stories..oh, such a sweet, lovable, family pet..but a switch went off. Never harmed a soul. But then...it just flipped and tore a muscle out of my 10 year old..or killed my poodle on a walk.

Dumb. Stop defending it.

Guess if a pit does that again it must have been one of those genetic families that missed getting 'bred out'

1. Notice how it says "Pit bull breeds" as in all breeds that people label and mislabel as pit bulls.

That is the equivalent of saying all herding or retrieving breeds and lumping them together to get numbers.
Not really. The same could be said for every other breed classification since there are many sub breeds under the general classifications of all dogs. You're claiming it's a conspiracy against pit bulls? Like a short haired german shepherd sub breed was improperly counted as a breed of pit bull??

Or... you're saying that something that has the most common characteristics of a pit bull, but isn't, by "name", should be more rightly categorized as... what? Counted in the malamute or a doberman category?

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top