JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Quick question, wanting to build an AR pistol in 9mm, but all the dedicated pistol lowers are pretty much sold out. Just want a budget AR pistol in 9, not wanting an SBR.

I was wanting the PSA pistol lower, but since that one is out of stock, is it legal to buy this one and do the ffl as a pistol if I remove the stock and change the buffer tube?

PSA 9mm Billet Complete Classic Lower - uses Glock®-style magazines

If its not, I can wait until the pistol lower gets back in stock. Thanks in advance!

If the lower is shipped as a receiver and transferred as a receiver and not a rifle then yes you can remove the stock and make it a pistol as it has not been made into a firearm as of yet.

I would call them and make sure it is classed as a recover before ordering it thought to be safe. Even though it is not required I would put a pistol buffer tube on it as well so there is no question about your intentions. Do this first before mating it with a pistol upper.

Edit to add:
Sense you have to be 21 to order it my guess is it must be classed as a receiver because you can buy rifles at 18 and receivers and pistols at 21.

That looks like a rifle receiver to me. My understanding is that a pistol receiver can be changed to a rifle and back to a pistol, but if it starts life as a rifle, you can't change it to a pistol. You might or might not be technically OK if they call it a receiver when they ship it, but it seems to me like you're playing with fire here.

That looks like a rifle receiver to me. My understanding is that a pistol receiver can be changed to a rifle and back to a pistol, but if it starts life as a rifle, you can't change it to a pistol. You might or might not be technically OK if they call it a receiver when they ship it, but it seems to me like you're playing with fire here.

My understanding is different. You can not convert a rifle to a pistol (that's where the SBRs come in) but you can convert a pistol to a rifle.

My understanding is different. You can not convert a rifle to a pistol (that's where the SBRs come in) but you can convert a pistol to a rifle.
That's how I understand it as well. In addition, I believe that you can convert a rifle back to a pistol if it was originally a pistol. As always, this is not advice, but just my understanding of the situation.

That's how I understand it as well. In addition, I believe that you can convert a rifle back to a pistol if it was originally a pistol. As always, this is not advice, but just my understanding of the situation.

I'm not 100% either but was told once a pistol goes to a rifle it is a rifle for life (if someone could prove that I guess).

I'm not 100% either but was told once a pistol goes to a rifle it is a rifle for life (if someone could prove that I guess).
There is something like that but it's with shotguns. I think if you have a shotgun that was originally built with a pistol grip, it is a "firearm" and can be converted to a "shotgun" by adding a stock, but changing it back is not OK. Could that be it?

There is something like that but it's with shotguns. I think if you have a shotgun that was originally built with a pistol grip, it is a "firearm" and can be converted to a "shotgun" by adding a stock, but changing it back is not OK. Could that be it?

I'm completely confused now lol.

I have a lower that I haven't been able to do anything with yet that is an other om the books so maybe one of the FFL guys could weigh in. I'll most likely make it into a rifle but the pistols intrigue me with so many fans of them on here.

You cannot convert a rifle to a pistol but you can a pistol to a rifle but that is not the point here. The only thing that determines whether that receiver is a handgun, rifle or receiver is how it left the factory. If it left the factory as a receiver that means it has not been turned into any firearm as of yet so it is not a rifle or pistol so it doesn't matter that it has a stock on it or not but if it left the factory as a rifle then it has to stay as a rifle and if it left the factory as a pistol then it can be converted to a rifle.

The furniture does not make a difference until you put the gun together.

So just make sure when you order it is a receiver and when you do the transfer on the 4473 it says it's a receiver then you can pull that tube and stock off and make a pistol.

Edited to fix bad texting.

Last Edited:
One thing to keep in mind is compatibility. If your buying a specific manf you should (and might have to) buy all your parts from the manf.
They are not like AR15, parts don't easily (if at all) co-mingle.

If it's a stripped lower it will more than likely be classified as a receiver and can be made into a pistol or rifle. Once made into a rifle it would be illegal to switch it to a pistol. Pay attention when you go to pick ot up from the FFL and make sure it': marked as a pistol or not specified before doing your BGC.

I've found another ATF document that I think says that you can build an AR15 pistol, convert it to a rifle, and then convert it back to a pistol again. That's not to say that there isn't another one saying you can't, of course. :rolleyes:

ATF1.jpg
ATF2.jpg
ATF3.jpg

Its not a rifle. Its a lower. Rifles are complete guns. Lowers are just lowers and can be configured any way you please. When it transfer to you it will transfer as "other" on the 4473. No excise tax was paid on it as a rifle as manufactured . It was never a rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top