JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Bit surprised by how many folks think fireworks are just freedom sparklers, they are very real and dangerous explosive devices that should be banned or regulated, not because you don't deserve to have them, but to save homes, wildlife, and lives. We can love America without hurting other Americans or our land. If a bomb squad can't control them how do we expect regular people too.

oops my mistake didn't see other thread. Feel free to remove mods
What we need is for our reps to step up and do the right thing. Quickly enact "Common Sense" fire works safety laws. Close the fireworks loopholes. People should be required to take classes and get permits to light off fire works. Oh, and background checks to purchase fireworks.

We need more laws so people won't be able to hurt themselves or others.

What we need is for our reps to step up and do the right thing. Quickly enact "Common Sense" fire works safety laws. Close the fireworks loopholes. People should be required to take classes and get permits to light off fire works. Oh, and background checks to purchase fireworks.

I agree

Don't forget they need to do the same for some other stuff too. Gambling, alcohol, are a couple that come to mind. Food is the big one. We have a true epidemic now that is killing mass numbers of people, they eat too much and make poor choices of the food they buy. We need common sense laws on food. How much you can buy and what you can buy. Its for the children after all. Childhood obesity is off the charts now and is killing so many people it makes the Covid crisis look like a common cold.

Well if you're going to make it that hard to be legal, who's going to bother with bottle rockets? There was a thing called M-80's when I was a kid. Louder than a shotgun. I'll bet you could set off car alarms with those now. :s0087:

Well if you're going to make it that hard to be legal, who's going to bother with bottle rockets? There was a thing called M-80's when I was a kid. Louder than a shotgun. I'll bet you could set off car alarms with those now. :s0087:
As the song says, "those were the days". I'm not sure the statute of limitations has expired for my younger years when M-80s were readily available.

And asking for a friends, are M-80s considered a destructive device?

As the song says, "those were the days". I'm not sure the statute of limitations has expired for my younger years when M-80s were readily available.

They are if you're doing it right! :D :s0087:

More seriously:

(1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellent charge of more than four ounces

First one on the list here:

Common Illegal Explosives

The following devices are illegal to possess if you do not have a FEL/FEP. These devices may also be illegal under similar state and local laws.

M-80

m-80.jpg

Average Size: Five-eighth inch diameter, 1.5 inches long
Average Load: 3 grams of explosives
Risk Factor: Improper use causes damage to fingers, hands, and eyes.

Funny thing, 3 grams = 0.1058218858 ounces, but it's still considered a DD. Huh.

EDIT: Apparently the M-80 is and Illegal Explosive, not a Destructive Device. Well eff me I like to skim sometimes. :rolleyes:

That'll teach me.

Last Edited:

It must have been around 2002. We went up to The "Rez" West of Chehalis where the native Americans had a bunch of tent/booths selling various fireworks that you couldn't buy at Black Jack. Bricks of fire crackers and various LARGE and standard bottle rockets and other stuff I don't remember. I asked at one of the booths about M-80's. The guy loooked around and said ATF had been around. Then he told me the kid would come around from behind the counter and get the money from me. I think it was $2.00/$2.50 each. I think I got six. The kid comes around and stands next to me and I discretely hand him the money. He disappears somewhere and comes back a few in a minutes and hands me a small bag with the M-80s. I also got a couple of bricks of fire crackers and standard bottle rockets.

M-80s are pretty loud. Use with care! They used to sell that stuff just past Bonneville dam too. And one time we had to go further up the gorge and up a dirt road where a guy was selling out of a plywood shack sort of hut. I didn't ask about the M-80s at the other two places.

It must have been around 2002. We went up to The "Rez" West of Chehalis where the native Americans had a bunch of tent/booths selling various fireworks that you couldn't buy at Black Jack. Bricks of fire crackers and various LARGE and standard bottle rockets and other stuff I don't remember. I asked at one of the booths about M-80's. The guy loooked around and said ATF had been around. Then he told me the kid would come around from behind the counter and get the money from me. I think it was $2.00/$2.50 each. I think I got six. The kid comes around and stands next to me and I discretely hand him the money. He disappears somewhere and comes back a few in a minutes and hands me a small bag with the M-80s. I also got a couple of bricks of fire crackers and standard bottle rockets.

M-80s are pretty loud. Use with care! They used to sell that stuff just past Bonneville dam too. And one time we had to go further up the gorge and up a dirt road where a guy was selling out of a plywood shack sort of hut. I didn't ask about the M-80s at the other two places.
Lol. You shoulda checked them out prior to 9-11-01. The windowless pedo-vans behind the shacks...that's where you found the fun stuff, m-80's were laughed at.

Bit surprised by how many folks think fireworks are just freedom sparklers, they are very real and dangerous explosive devices that should be banned or regulated,
Whats your thoughts on say one of the most dangerous yet easily obtained substances - gasoline?

Or how about smokless powder, or black powder and its much easier obtained substitutes?

These substances can be used in many different, and dangerous ways outside of their original intent.

Whats your thoughts on say one of the most dangerous yet easily obtained substances - gasoline?

Or how about smokless powder, or black powder and its much easier obtained substitutes?

These substances can be used in many different, and dangerous ways outside of their original intent.
Well if all the videos of Americans filling up plastic bags and truck beds with gas at the hint of of scarcity is an example of how we respect these things, I'd say the more regulation upon dangerous chemicals, which is what they are, chemicals, the better I say. If the most basic knowledges American doesn't know not to smoke a cigarette near gas, maybe they shouldn't be handling it so freely.

I don't have much issue with people blowing themselves up for being idiots, my issue is their idiocy destroying other peoples land, homes, and hurting others.

At minimum one should be able to pass a basic chemistry class in order to handle any kind of explosive chemical.

America's best and brightest.

I often think back on my growing up years. Awesome fireworks, shootouts with Roman candles, taking dynamite fishing (first lesson on that: Six sticks is to much in a small pond), taking Guns to high school on the school bus, working on Guns in high school shop class, riding anything with two or three wheels without a helmet, playing cowboys and Indians with bb guns, bringing our cap Guns ( I still want a Mattel fanner 50) to grade school and the list could go on.

We survived and came out OK. In my high school years there were no drugs and now, today, far more youth perish from drugs than perished in my generation doing things we thought were fun.

Today, I just feel the world has gone backwards.

Now answer a question of mine.

how would you feel about your neighbor having full access to those substances with no education on their chemical properties or how to properly use them. No laws against owning them but they do and very well could kill themselves, you, your family, burn your house down and so on. Is their freedom to be an idiot with explosives more important too you than your well being and that of your home and family? Or would some basic laws on education and maybe making it a little more difficult to just go buy explosives seem reasonable?

America's best and brightest.
This is an isolated, extreme situation and not even legal. The guy is obviously beyond brain dead and not an example of what I was referring to.

I was referencing the availability of gasoline and the ability to easily turn it into a very destructive substance with the addition of other substances.

So back to my original question - Should gas be 'regulated' ?

I know this, from certain tribal stands in Toppenish, a device can be had that makes M-80s sound pip squeak. One such device taped to a 20 lb. watermelon will leave a small crater in the gravel driveway and the watermelon will gave vanished. My friends told me that these devices are about 5.00 each.

This is an isolated, extreme situation and not even legal. The guy is obviously beyond brain dead and not an example of what I was referring to.

I was referencing the availability of gasoline and the ability to easily turn it into a very destructive substance with the addition of other substances.

Oh I can keep posting videos of people doing similar if you'd like. Not isolated at all. You're very wrong in that.

of course it should be. We should be regulating those oil companies for the damage they've done to our ecosystem and regulating carbon emissions for gas cars, and requiring far more stringent regulations on who has access to any kind of explosive chemicals. Perhaps you should educate yourself on what domestic terrorists have used to make their explosives in American history.

Now answer my question, or can you not?

Well if all the videos of Americans filling up plastic bags and truck beds with gas at the hint of of scarcity is an example of how we respect these things, I'd say the more regulation upon dangerous chemicals, which is what they are, chemicals, the better I say. If the most basic knowledges American doesn't know not to smoke a cigarette near gas, maybe they shouldn't be handling it so freely.

I don't have much issue with people blowing themselves up for being idiots, my issue is their idiocy destroying other peoples land, homes, and hurting others.

At minimum one should be able to pass a basic chemistry class in order to handle any kind of explosive chemical.
Yeah, because of all the leading causes of death chemical explosions is up there? I can't remember the last time I read about one. Every once in a while you hear about some idiot with gasoline. But even then it's rarely.

We don't need more government regulations. On anything.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top