JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
NEW SHOOTING LANE ABOUT TO DROP INTO THE SANTIAM

Trash No Land, the Oregon Dept of Forestry and the Oregon Dept of Fish & Wildlife have partnered up to do some nice improvements to a dispersed shooting location in the Santiam State Forest. It is East of Scotts Mills and NE of the Crooked Finger area. This is a decommissioned gravel quarry that is currently being used for target shooting. It's location, and physical characteristics are ideal for public safety and fire prevention. It's a place with few (to no) conflicts with other types of recreation. It will offer about 110 yards. The bowl shaped high sidewalls with dirt bases also offer excellent opportunities for tactical maneuvers exercise or competition training.

The benefits of this improvement are Public Safety, Fire Prevention, Easy to comply with target shooting regs, Attractive place to shoot, Features to accommodate various types of shooting but the primary firing line is a 110 yard shot.

The final details have just been completed and we are currently scheduling materials and excavation contractor. Work is to be completed by end of October.

Trash No Land is paying for the excavation contractor with a grant from the NRA Foundation.
ODF is providing all the 1 1/2" gravel, Jersey Barriers firing line, Gate at the entrance and transporting the gravel material.
ODFW is providing the primary berm backstop gravel (1/4-#10 Washed) with delivery and transportation of the jersey barriers.

Volunteers are needed!
We would like to provide night security at the pit during construction to keep an eye on the equipment (contractor will not be able to camp there). Besides having a gate with lock and chain, we would like at least 2 people to camp there each night the equipment is there. It should be a little over 1 week.

The actual start date has not been firmed up yet, but will be either the week of 10-18 or 10-25. Isn't that hunting season and you need a private place to camp?

I plan on taking the first weekend shift but I can only camp on Friday & Saturday nights. I'll need at least one other person to join me.

Can we muster up a security force to man the pit each night?

Grand Opening Day
I'll announce the date later, but here's the plan...
We'll have an official opening day where we'll also plant some trees & shrubs along a 120 ft long sidewall berm (this will be a side berm that blocks the view and temptation to shoot out into the forest).
We'll have a little discussion about the project, show our appreciation to ODF & ODFW, and give the pit a good workout (so bring your favorite recreation tools!).
More about the grand opening later.

This improvement for recreational shooting is for all who wish to partake in free shooting on public lands. While it may be free to shoot 7 days a week, it is not a 'free-for-all' or 'anything goes' type of place! No dispersed shooting place on pubic land is like that.

It is OUR place to shoot and WE own it. It is imperative that we all share and care for this place, (as well as any other dispersed shooting place in the forest), with volunteer stewardship. We must show ownership in our places to shoot by keeping them clean and shooting within the rules, or else we loose them.

Stay tuned by clicking 'Watch Thread' (above) to keep up to date on schedules and activities.

Thanks all, enjoy!
Bill
Trash No Land

Is this spot open to shoot at right now? Or will it be available after all the work is done and finished? I'd love to volunteer for a Friday or Saturday shift once I know more about the details of when exactly

Is this spot open to shoot at right now? Or will it be available after all the work is done and finished? I'd love to volunteer for a Friday or Saturday shift once I know more about the details of when exactly
Technically, the Santiam is still closed due to last years fire. But I did see people out shooting and riding ATV's.

This pit will be closed and gated off about mid October as the contractor moves in to do his thing. Meanwhile, we'll be stocking up some gravel and dropping some trees this month (I think the trees come down next week and they'll be in the way at that time).

Keep an eye of this thread and I'll post dates and progress.

Thanks!

I might be able to camp one weekend if it's not the weekend of the 23rd.
How 'bout the 16th, Saturday? We're working out the schedule right now, but it may be that he delivers his equipment on that Saturday. I'm delivering the gate on Sat and plan to camp that night. I hate to camp alone!

So far, I have 3 others on the Security team. One may be able to camp Wed & Thurs nights.

If anyone is available and willing, please sign up to be on the force. We have about a week and a half to two weeks to fill, so we'll need a few folks.

Thanks,
Bill

There's a 14 ft Livestock gate at the Forest Grove ODF office I need to pick up and transport to the Santiam project. My pickup bed is 6 1/2 long & 8 feet with the tailgate down. Is there a legal limit to the length behind the vehicle? Will I be legal to simply put a red flag on the end? It'll stick out 6 feet from the open tailgate.

Thanks,
Bill

Post a calendar and I'll look into it!
Here's a .jpg of a calendar. I'll upload each revision as we get people signed up. I didn't put other names until they are firm.

615 Security Detail Schedule.jpg

There's a 14 ft Livestock gate at the Forest Grove ODF office I need to pick up and transport to the Santiam project. My pickup bed is 6 1/2 long & 8 feet with the tailgate down. Is there a legal limit to the length behind the vehicle? Will I be legal to simply put a red flag on the end? It'll stick out 6 feet from the open tailgate.

Thanks,
Bill
I think it's 3 feet max past the bumper and flagged.
What about putting it up over the cab ?
Just watch your height above pavement.

You'll probably have to put the tailgate down to flatten the angle and secure the whole thing very well.

You'll probably have to put the tailgate down to flatten the angle and secure the whole thing very well.
Thanks. Over the cab may be the way to go. I can pad the edge with a moving blanket.

Thanks,
Bill
Do you want to use a flat bed trailer? I could ask a coworker if it's available. Also go ahead and put me down for the 16th. You will need to shoot me some coordinates so I know where to go.

Do you want to use a flat bed trailer? I could ask a coworker if it's available. Also go ahead and put me down for the 16th. You will need to shoot me some coordinates so I know where to go.
Thanks. I'll put you down for the 16th. We have another person who sounds like he's in for the 16 and 17th, but need to confirm that.

I have access to a 24 ft trailer, but didn't want to haul it all over Oregon. I gotta go from Washougal, to Tualatin for the trailer, to Forest Grove for the gate & posts, and then down to Scotts Mills. That's a lot of driving with a heavy trailer and not too much fun, but I could make it work. I'd just rather avoid the trailer if I can. So if I can do it in just the pickup truck, we be fine.

As I read it Oregon DMV requires a flag if it extends 4' beyond the vehicle.
If it has a heavier attached pivot that will fit flat against the cab in the bed and then just a pole, you might be able to shut the gate and then ratchet it down so the pole angles up and back. That's the way most guys move longish lumber if they don't have a rack especially if the load is below the tie downs with the tailgate down.

I found this...
Vehicle and Cargo Length / Width / Height Limits –
Oregon Revised Statutes​

"For example, if you want to transport a canoe and are considering using an extender from the tow hitch, consider the following example:

Your overhang on the back of the vehicle cannot extend more than 3/4 of the length of the wheelbase of your pickup truck bed, regardless of the extender (there is nothing in Oregon law that exempts length limits based on an extender). You would need to measure first your wheelbase and then multiply by .75. You cannot exceed that length measuring from the last axle of your truck. Example: wheelbase is 12 feet, you cannot extend more than 9 feet past the last axle of the pickup.

Your other option is to trailer the canoe. Anytime your load length exceeds 4 feet from the end of the pickup bed you need a 1 ft. square red flag or lights."

So, my pickup is a 12 ft wheel base. I'm good up to 9 feet plus a flag.

Update on the Security Team schedule...

615 Security Detail Schedule.jpg
We need someone to join @powermad on Sunday night, and preferably a lady or two to join Rilene A. on Wed & Thurs night. Also need to fill the blank days.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top