JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The security team looks better! But still have a ways to go. Thanks, @Certaindeaf for signing on!

We need a 2nd person to join each one from Sunday night through the first week. Not sure if the project will continue the following week, but I'll find that out soon.

Post here or send a PM to let me know if you can camp at the 615 Pit any one or two of those nights.

Thanks,
Bill
[email protected]

615 Security Detail Schedule.jpg

We're getting there! I now have a 2nd person to camp on Wed & Thurs, the 20th & 21st. Kait S. lives right next to the Santiam SF near the entry road that leads to the 615 Pit. She is of military family (Marines) and that makes for a perfect match to camp with Rilene, who works in the millitary unit of Cedar Hills Hospital. They'll have great conversations I'm sure. Neither of them are members here on NWFA, but that could change!

Take a look at the calendar and pick a day or two that you could help contribute to the security team.

Besides being behind a locked gate, the local sheriff's dept and ODF enforcment is aware of our camping there on those dates, so that is in our favor. Our presence there is to deter any jackwagons who might want to access the pit while we have valuable equipment staged there. I'm sure they'll turn around when they see the signs and campers are there.

Here's the latest calendar: Click to enlarge

We're getting there! I now have a 2nd person to camp on Wed & Thurs, the 20th & 21st. Kait S. lives right next to the Santiam SF near the entry road that leads to the 615 Pit. She is of military family (Marines) and that makes for a perfect match to camp with Rilene, who works in the millitary unit of Cedar Hills Hospital. They'll have great conversations I'm sure. Neither of them are members here on NWFA, but that could change!

Take a look at the calendar and pick a day or two that you could help contribute to the security team.

Besides being behind a locked gate, the local sheriff's dept and ODF enforcment is aware of our camping there on those dates, so that is in our favor. Our presence there is to deter any jackwagons who might want to access the pit while we have valuable equipment staged there. I'm sure they'll turn around when they see the signs and campers are there.

Here's the latest calendar: Click to enlarge

And just like that, I have another one who'll join me on the 22nd & 23rd. Joe W., a police officer! With thermal imaging! We're going to do a video of sparks off a steel target in the dark to illustrate where the sparks go at different angles of the target. I want to see where those sparks go, in relation to the angle and the distance to fire hazards nearby, so we get a good understanding of the importance of the angle of the steel target. Should be a good demonstration vid.

We still need a second person to camp on Sunday, Monday & Tuesday, the 17th, 18th & 19th. Then we'll work on the following week.

Thanks all!
Bill

The 615 Pit project is coming along real well. Materials are being ordered, trees should be falling by now and we're building our schedule for the volunteer Security Team camp outs. We almost have the first week covered!

I'm picking up the security gate from Forest Grove this weekend Oct 2nd, Buying the shrubs the next weekend, Delivering and camping on the 16th when the contractor moves in then & we'll help install the gate, Camp again the next weekend and finally be there again for the Grand Opening. A busy month for me, but it'll be worth the effort!

Looks like we need a few more people to help on the Security Team. We need a 2nd person(s) for the 17th, 18th & 19th, and two campers each night for the 24th to the 29th.

On the 30th, I'm planning a little celebration Grand Opening. We'll enjoy some coffee & donuts while we shout out some kudo's to ODF & ODFW for their roles (they each chipped in about $7,000!), and talk about this lane and the others that could come. We'll also plant a few shrubs in the new side berm (because we don't want people getting the idea to shoot in that direction). I'll provide a lunch and then it's Open Range time! Pew Pew! More details on the Grand Opening later.

So let me know if you can help with camping on any of those nights.

Thanks,
Bill

Last Edited:
Enhancing public safety while providing target shooters with a great place to shoot.

A wagon train of plants for the Santiam State Forest public safety area at the 615 pit shooting lane improvement site. There is one stretch along the side of the pit, (120 ft long), where it is open to the forest below and we don't want anyone shooting in that direction. So, we will be building a high wall of dirt and plant it with native shrubs. It will grow to blend in with the natural landscape and will not be a temptation to shoot in that direction. It will also help define the direction of the line of fire. We like walls on both sides!

Today was dedicated to purchasing the needed shrubs. We visited Sauvie Island Native Plants and loaded up a few wagons with Northwest natives.

Planting party Oct 30th!

(The Chicken was staff and we couldn't take her with us. She was helping pick out the last few bugs in preparation for plant transportation. A great helper and a good egg she is!)

I'll be picking up the gate for this project tomorrow in Forest Grove. First, I'll go to North Fork Wolf Creek Rd lanes to evaluate how many plants we'll need to replace at the safety project. I'll also check for any graffiti and damaged signs at the lanes. Then I meet with ODF in Forest Grove to pick up the gate for this Santiam project.

The work at the 615 Pit starts in 1 week! (Actually, it's already started with gravel material being delivered and trees falling). I'm excited to finally get this project up and running! We've been trying for 2 years now, but fires and COVID have prevented it from happening.

Everyone always says "We need more good places to shoot on public land!". That's easy to say but not so easy to make happen. It takes a lot of volunteer hours in talks, site evaluations, planning, estimating, networking contacts, fundraising, logistics, pricing quotes and grant applications. Man, if I got paid for this I could quit my day job!

To finish this project we still need a few more volunteers to help. Mostly on the Security Detail Team by camping overnight for 1-2 nights while the work is being done. The next opportunity to help will be on the 30th for planting the shrubs in the sidewall berm. On that day we'll also break in the new lane with a group shoot. I'll provide the lunch.

Can anyone else help on Security? We need a 2nd person(s) for the 17th, 18th & 19th (Sun, Mon & Tue), and two campers each night for the 24th to the 29th (unless the contractor gets done before the 29th).

If you want more 'Improved' shooting lanes on public land, we need to show the forest officials that's what we want by volunteering to help make it happen. They would like to see our concern for quality recreational target shooting to be represented by more than just one person. So help me out if you can! It's for all of us now and for the years to come.

Thanks All!
Bill

I got it! The worst part was the posts! Them suckers were heavy!

It may look like it's sticking out too far, but I measured it and it's 6 1/4 ft from the tail lights. I'm good up to 9 feet beyond and I didn't get pulled over. I'm ready for next weekend!

I hear the 4 big Doug Fir trees are now down and limbed. They dropped them as a whole tree, into the pit. The 700 tons of 1 1/2" gravel is being delivered this next week. The 250 tons of 1/4-#10 gravel to be delivered the week of the 18th. The jersey barriers (6) are coming from ODOT's summit yard on Hwy 6! That's a long haul! Each barrier runs about 5000 pounds! Should take a couple trucks. (ODOT donated the barriers and ODFW is paying the delivery charge! NICE!).

Gate 1.jpg Gate 2.jpg

I'd love to come out and camp for a night or two, but I would have to bring my 6 month old pup with me... hopefully thats not a problem.

I could do 18th and 19th, or any 2 back to back days from the 26th to the 29th.

I'd love to come out and camp for a night or two, but I would have to bring my 6 month old pup with me... hopefully thats not a problem.

Awesome, Oregon! You pick any of those days you'd like. I'm sure @Certaindeaf would enjoy the company on the 18th & 19th, or any day the next week would be great.

Bill

I'm planning on bringing my Springer with me on both weekends, so your pup would be fine.

In that case, I guess you can go ahead and put me down for the 18th and 19th!

If we are short on campers during the following week, I might be able to do one or two more nights... my schedule is pretty flexible this month.

In that case, I guess you can go ahead and put me down for the 18th and 19th!

If we are short on campers during the following week, I might be able to do one or two more nights... my schedule is pretty flexible this month.
You got it! Thanks man! The contractor and I appreciate you help!

@powermad , @Certaindeaf & @OregonForest , I sent private messages to each of you with details for camping next week. Check you Inbox! (I'll send out the info to the others next week).

The only night we need to fill is someone to join Powermad on Sunday night the 17th (I'll be camping with him on Sat).

That part of the forest is closed to all recreation because of last year's fires and it sounds like they don't want us shooting in the evening (but I hear reports of people shooting and wheeling up there all the time). We have permission to be there and ODF police and Sheriff's Dept know we'll be camping there. I tried to get an exception for us and will keep trying. Especially for the 30th when we'd like to do a group shoot and break in the new improvements. We'll see.

The 2nd week doesn't have anyone signed up for Security Detail yet. I'd really like to see those days filled! Most likely, the contractor may be done by mid week and we won't need the last 2-3 days. So if you know of anyone who can help, please have them contact me: [email protected] or call 360-713-8304.

I really appreciate everyones help with this! ODF is impressed that we'd put forth this kind of effort. We probably don't need to do this because I highly doubt anyone would come out at night in October, but it's a good show of responsibility for us to do it. Thanks!

Bill

I should add a note about cell phone reception. The closest place to get cell reception is at the intersection of S. Family Camp Rd and Elk Prairie Rd (It's where the pavement ends and you enter the forest). That is 4 miles (10 mins) from the 615 Pit. Otherwise, reception is few and far between as you get near the pit, depending on what service you have. So, if you need to call out, plan on a 10 min drive back to the entrance.

Here's the intersection:

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/UYEq7DFz7HmyVfJu8
GPS: 44.976241, -122.505982

I'm not going to be able to make it guys. Family health issue.
Thanks for letting me know. I got your other message too.

OregonForest was to camp with you those nights but stuff happens and he had to bow out as well.

So, we have 2 nights open to fill with 2 campers each night, if we can. Mon & Tue the 18th & 19th.

If someone can do it, send me a message and I'll get you the info you need.

Thanks,

Bill

Nice day!!! We're getting started!

Sure hope we get some more volunteers to help camp on those nights needed.

Check out the illusive Elk early this morning on the way up!

20211016_120717.jpg 20211016_105504.jpg 20211016_073345.jpg 20211016_114717.jpg
20211016_071227.jpg

I haven't been able to check these photos for clarity yet. I hope they come out okay.

No cell service at the site, so I may not check in again until tomorrow.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top