JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I attended the Sultan Basin shooting pit clean up today. It was a beautiful day weather wise and a really good turn out of volunteers
For those who have never been there it is a small hike in to the pit.
It amazes me people carry all of that garbage in there and just leave it there.
Bill Cogly from Trash NO Lands.org provided some clean up yools, heavy duty trash bags and a good lunch & beverages.
Trash NO Lands And Cabelas of Tulalip provided raffle items.
You sign in and you get a free raffle ticket.

Ammunition must be plenty available.
There was a brick of 22lr and that was the last thing to go.

I am organizing a pit clean up for the two Suaittle River Road shooting pits on Saturday July 15th at 9am.
If you like shooting at these pits you should attend these clean ups.
If they get to trashed up they will close them down which they have.

20230604_120635.jpg 20230604_123334.jpg 20230604_120357.jpg

I attended the Sultan Basin shooting pit clean up today. It was a beautiful day weather wise and a really good turn out of volunteers
For those who have never been there it is a small hike in to the pit.
It amazes me people carry all of that garbage in there and just leave it there.
Bill Cogly from Trash NO Lands.org provided some clean up yools, heavy duty trash bags and a good lunch & beverages.
Trash NO Lands And Cabelas of Tulalip provided raffle items.
You sign in and you get a free raffle ticket.

Ammunition must be plenty available.
There was a brick of 22lr and that was the last thing to go.

I am organizing a pit clean up for the two Suaittle River Road shooting pits on Saturday July 15th at 9am.

View attachment 1432588 View attachment 1432589 View attachment 1432590
Thanks for coming out, Pat! Everyone did a really great job! I think we counted 25 people, and they came from TNL, BHA, NWFA & WaGuns.

It took me 3.75 hrs to get there (3 to 6:45), early Sunday morning, and 5 hrs to get home (2 to 7)! The tourist traffic was terrible way out there on that 2 lane highway! So many people out in nature today and making their way back home to the city. I'm beat!

No pics from me tonight! But rest assured, that place hasn't been that clean in years!

Bill

Where did the volunteers park to do the clean-up at the Sultan Basin pit?
It isn't really the pit. It's the first place you can shoot, after the No Shooting zone, on the right, with a small space to park. Walk the path about 100 yards and it opens up to a 100 yard lane with a fair backstop.

In the parking area and along both sides of the road.
Thanks. I was looking at it on Google Earth, noticed the parking area but wondered if it was large enough for many vehicles.

Many years ago, I used to shoot in several places along that road. Before the area was closed down. One place I liked was north of the road, on a hill at 47 58 02N, 121 46 38W, you could see all over from there. That's history now. Some time I'll drive out to this site and take a look see.

I won't park in front of locked gates. Like the one at Sauk Suaittle (SR 17 is it?). Years ago I got a ticket from a ranger for blocking such a gate. I'm not particularly fond of parking at a trail head and leaving my vehicle, either. Too many break-ins, and around a shooting site they'd figure you had guns to steal.

Hoping to twist a few arms here and garner some interest in this cleanup. If you live in Snohomish or Skagit county and enjoy shooting outdoors on public land it would be great if you could make it. As the saying goes, many hands make light work. As noted, we're losing more and more outdoor shooting areas thanks in large part to the thoughtless and inconsiderate actions of those that make a mess and don't think it's their responsibility to clean up after themselves. DNR doesn't have the resources to clean up all the trash left by the slobs, so it's up to volunteers to pitch in and keep these places open not just for ourselves but future generations. I know I'm preaching to the choir here for most of you, so with that said please consider contributing a few hours of your weekend to help out, and also spread the word to your shooting friends. If you've never participated in one of these cleanups, they're actually a lot of fun. Here's the link for more info:

Hoping to twist a few arms here and garner some interest in this cleanup. If you live in Snohomish or Skagit county and enjoy shooting outdoors on public land it would be great if you could make it. As the saying goes, many hands make light work. As noted, we're losing more and more outdoor shooting areas thanks in large part to the thoughtless and inconsiderate actions of those that make a mess and don't think it's their responsibility to clean up after themselves. DNR doesn't have the resources to clean up all the trash left by the slobs, so it's up to volunteers to pitch in and keep these places open not just for ourselves but future generations. I know I'm preaching to the choir here for most of you, so with that said please consider contributing a few hours of your weekend to help out, and also spread the word to your shooting friends. If you've never participated in one of these cleanups, they're actually a lot of fun. Here's the link for more info:
Well said! You nailed the primary reasons for routine maintenance at our shooting sites on public lands.

And you're right, it does take much when there are several people helping. Saving a place to shoot is well worth a few short hours, every once in a while.

"Stewardship Keeps It Open"!

Bill

You hit the nail on the head.
It is a wise investment of three to four hours to keep these public shooting areas open
They don't clean themselves up. It take volunteers.
Plus lunch and beverages are provided.

It would be nice to see a good turn out at the Suaittle River Road shooting pit clean up.
There are two pits there that need to be cleaned up from own ranks.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top