JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They probably got it mostly right. My opinion is it is a bit light on energy for elk at some of the ranges they were shooting them, but a well placed shot obviously will get it done. I have killed two mature mule deer bucks with the creed using 129gr Nos ablr bullets. One was at 100yds and the other maybe 35 yds. I was impressed that the bullets did not come apart or do too much meat damage as some predicted would happen with these bullets at higher impact velocities.

They probably got it mostly right. My opinion is it is a bit light on energy for elk at some of the ranges they were shooting them, but a well placed shot obviously will get it done. I have killed two mature mule deer bucks with the creed using 129gr Nos ablr bullets. One was at 100yds and the other maybe 35 yds. I was impressed that the bullets did not come apart or do too much meat damage as some predicted would happen with these bullets at higher impact velocities.

I doubt the creedmoor can achieve the velocity to create a "high impact velocity". Even if you were able to sneak up on the deer and contact shoot him.

Its not a high performance cartridge. Its an efficient combination of aerodynamics and a velocity threshold that isn't so fast to create extra drag, yet enough speed to keep the bullet supersonic. Disrupt any of that and the cartridge instantly loses its magic.

For instance, load the case with a Hornady Interlock or Nosler Partition, both excellent hunting bullets, and that cartridge gets pretty exposed at ranges greater than 350 yards.

I doubt the creedmoor can achieve the velocity to create a "high impact velocity". Even if you were able to sneak up on the deer and contact shoot him.

Its not a high performance cartridge. Its an efficient combination of aerodynamics and a velocity threshold that isn't so fast to create extra drag, yet enough speed to keep the bullet supersonic. Disrupt any of that and the cartridge instantly loses its magic.

For instance, load the case with a Hornady Interlock or Nosler Partition, both excellent hunting bullets, and that cartridge gets pretty exposed at ranges greater than 350 yards.

I'd think that's true for most rifle cartridges. I don't hunt with 6.5CM but I find it to be a flat accurate cartridge with light recoil and predictable repeatability. Interesting to read the stories on successful hunts. Honestly, I never put 6.5CM in that category in my mind, but it seems more are using it for harvesting game.

@No_Regerts what speed do you think the 6.5CM would need to hit to make it better? Or a completely different projectile all together?

I'd think that's true for most rifle cartridges. I don't hunt with 6.5CM but I find it to be a flat accurate cartridge with light recoil and predictable repeatability. Interesting to read the stories on successful hunts. Honestly, I never put 6.5CM in that category in my mind, but it seems more are using it for harvesting game.

@No_Regerts what speed do you think the 6.5CM would need to hit to make it better? Or a completely different projectile all together?

There is flat shooting, and there is flat shooting. With VLD bullets, a 6.5 becomes "flatter" beyond 500 yards. For most hunters, thats pointless. They need "flat" out to 500 yards since thats beyond most hunter's capability. The only thing that does that is lighter bullets or case capacity. For instance, the 257 Roberts pushes a 117gr bullet about 2750. A 257 Weatherby pushes same at 3500. Thats useful flattness.

With the bullets that are high BC/SD like the VLDs, ELDs in the 140+ grain range, the cartridge needs nothing else because the bullets bleed energy slowly.

I'm wary of using match bullets to hunt, but many companies are making hybrids (like the Nosler Accubond LR, Berger VLD Hunting). These may be viable to make the 6.5 CM a more viable hunting cartridge while not sacrificing the physics that make the cartridge what it is.

There are certain bullets that have a reputation for punching through bone and heavy muscle (Swift A-Frame, Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition). Those bullets loaded in the 6.5 CM don't give it the efficiency it needs to shoot flat or carry energy very far because they have the BC of a tennis ball.

Makes sense. Like I said before, the 6.5CM isn't exactly on the top of my list for hunting cartridges. Stupid me I never even really considered it as such.

Makes sense. Like I said before, the 6.5CM isn't exactly on the top of my list for hunting cartridges. Stupid me I never even really considered it as such.

Its a great deer cartridge for the distances that most have any business shooting at a deer. If I loaded a hunting bullet I trusted, I'd go out to 350 to maybe 400 and thats really a long way for most hunters.

My only experience with with 6.5 Credmoor is that my hunting buddy has been killing mule and blacktail bucks for the past several years, with a variety of off the shelf cartridges, while I stick with my trusty 25-06 and 120 grain spitzer hand loads. We both have taken deer well past 400 yards, and both of us consider our cartridge a 600 yard limitation for clean kill.
However, the 6.5 has a selection of heavier bullets available than the .257, and should my friend ever attempt to handload and partake in long range shooting he may change his range assessment.
On that note, one of my guns chambered for 25-06 is a 26" barreled Sendero, and when loaded with 100 grain Nosler BT's makes mincemeat of coyotes out to 800 yards. This heavy bean field rifle is a joy to shoot and I do think about getting a 6.5 Creedmore in a similar package, but not sure I want to re-tool" for another rifle (or three) and reload another cartridge.
Change my mind....

At 100 yds the Nos 129 ablr is still going 2800 fps plus. I would call that high impact velocity for a bullet designed to expand down to 1300 fps.

At 100 yds the Nos 129 ablr is still going 2800 fps plus. I would call that high impact velocity for a bullet designed to expand down to 1300 fps.

You're at 2850 tops at the muzzle, you'd be at or under 2600 at 100. Bullets "may expand" down to 1300 fps, but if you catch some bullets at longer ranges, the expansion gets less and less reliable. I generally want 1800fps, or even 2000fps, if I can get it. Thats still a long way. I choose bullets that allow impacts at 3000 fps without coming apart. Thats why I'm such a big fan of the Barnes Tipped TSX.

My handloads have the nosler 129gr ablr leaving the muzzle at 2975 fps. Chronoed. Impact velocity at 100 yds is 2812 fps. At 35 yds it is 2917 fps. As I stated before I was impressed how this bullet hung together at high impact velocity. How it will perform at longer ranges I have yet to see, but will report back if and when that happens.

My handloads have the nosler 129gr ablr leaving the muzzle at 2975 fps. Chronoed. Impact velocity at 100 yds is 2812 fps. At 35 yds it is 2917 fps. As I stated before I was impressed how this bullet hung together at high impact velocity. How it will perform at longer ranges I have yet to see, but will report back if and when that happens.

Those are great numbers. I shot a deer at 310 yards with a 150gr NABLR out of a 7mm Rem Mag. Velocity at the muzzle was a smidge over 3100. Didn't catch the bullet, it exited with a hole the size of a golf ball. Chest cavity was soup.

I hit one with a van, going 55 miles an hour with the headlights on and the horn blowin'. Whoo that's an elusive creature! :s0140:

Here is a link to a post I did concerning the creed and and a recovered bullet, complete with pics and recovered weight data. According to this post It was 50yds not 35yds. My apologies for my lapse in memory :eek:. As they say though, "never let facts get in the way of a good story"

I'm going to drink the 6.5 CM koolaid. Got a Tikka SL and I really got it for my son when he turns 10 in couple years.
It gives dad time to play and develop some loads.
ANOTHER reason I got 6.5CM is the Euros have ben shooting moose with 6.5 Sweed for 100 years. SO, it can't be that bad.

Last Edited:
I read that article, and even as a smaller caliber advocate, I found it a little ridiculous. The performance described could just as easily been any rifle cartridge. The primary consideration of hunting is shot placement. Next consideration is bullet contruction equivalent to terminal performance needed. Caliber size, velocity, sectional density etc are just very minor data. Is the 6.5CM a "great" big-game round? I would say there is no such thing. It is just as adequate as any other round.

All comes does to preference. I think it's a nice flat shooting round but I do not understand all of the hype. For a match rifle sure, for hunting...maybe it works for some but not my choice.

I would not even consider it for an Elk under any circumstances. My go to is a .300WM. Tried, proven, tons of bullet selection, new brass and old brass available anywhere, more load data than could ever satisfy a handloader, accurate, lots of knockdown power, and really the recoil is not as bad a most make it out to be.

For a deer rifle I did consider it. For the terrain that most of the forest is around me I will not be making any long shots so I chose to go with a .270 Win. Inside of 400 yards similar loads in 270 Win and 6.5CM, 270 shoots with less drop, more velocity, and more impact energy. Most everything I said above about .300WM rings true to .270 as well. As an added benefit since everyone wants 6.5s right now a good .270 Win can be had for great prices. Now if I were making longer shots on deer in windy conditions or maybe my wife or son were looking for a rifle I would not hesitate for them to shoot a 6.5CM for deer. It's just not for me. I do have a Ruger Precision on my want list for some long distance fun though.

ive seen animals die with 1 shot of a 22LR to the head.

6.5CM is fine for big game at reasonable distances.

i prefer 308 for deer and 300win mag for elk though i wouldnt NOT shoot an elk with a 308 at a reasonable(to me) distance.

im gonna hunt mule deer with 6.5 grendel this year

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads