JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The LCP makes me wish I had small hands but I am 6'2" and have oversized hands that make me have to put a rubber grip even on my M&P 40 full size...So yeah the LCP is like a little yappy dog that is cute and functions as a gun but has no regrets about biting the hand that feeds it. Pretty much like all little dogs it is cute and comforting while in your lap but when it starts yapping its out of control on the bite side. I carry it if I have to. I do prefer a CZ 82 or a sig 230. Little bigger is the CZ 83 but holds 13 rounds of .380 and all of those including the ppk and the Bersa leaves my little flap between my finger and thumb alone. So if you have smaller hands enjoy...if I have to pull the LCP I am pretty sure it is going to bite me as I have no way to get a good grip without a good chance of my pup taking a chunk out. Better that than let the bad guy take a chunk out when nothing else fits and I do trust the LCP for going boom when I need it. My vote is the LC9 Or LC 380 if you are stuck on a slim gun made by Ruger. Otherwise I would get the Bersa if I was choosing again if price was an issue. If not spend a little more on a Sig. Well worth it.

Strange, I'm 6'4" and wear XXL gloves and have no problem. Maybe you should evaluate how you're holding it and see if you can control it without choking up so much with those big strong hands you have?

To the OP's question, I really like the LCP. Don't listen to these guys recommending big thick guns for pocket carry. The only thing I can think of is they have concave thighs or only wear bib overalls. I went from a phone that was 1/2 as thick as an LCP to a phone that is 1/3 as thick as an LCP carried in my front pocket and that made a noticeable difference. Thin and light mean that I won't leave things at home.

Strange, I'm 6'4" and wear XXL gloves and have no problem. Maybe you should evaluate how you're holding it and see if you can control it without choking up so much with those big strong hands you have?

To the OP's question, I really like the LCP. Don't listen to these guys recommending big thick guns for pocket carry. The only thing I can think of is they have concave thighs or only wear bib overalls. I went from a phone that was 1/2 as thick as an LCP to a phone that is 1/3 as thick as an LCP carried in my front pocket and that made a noticeable difference. Thin and light mean that I won't leave things at home.

I am far from saying I cannot shoot the thing without getting bit. I can and do. Only problem with any gun I have is I want to be able to fire at least a decent 3 round burst when at the range and your grip will shift on an LCP if you really want to work it out. Larger hands make it harder. Firing one shot down range and then taking a few seconds I do not get bit....In fact I do not get bit every time I go. Just often enough to know what when in stress I will likely grip it like every gun I own and cut myself if I have to fire rapidly. I know your XXL hands cannot rapid fire the LCP in comfort. If so that is a trick I need to learn. If I get a clean head shot game over but a moving crack head is more likely to get a couple to slow him down in the chest and then one in the head if still coming...rapidly as I practice at the range. If I start trying to change around my grip, stance, anything then I will throw off my shooting of most every other gun I own. I would prefer the occasional small band aid and to keep my muscle memory on the same page as me. I am afraid I would rather bleed a little than adjust what I know to be an accurate grip. I do know you are right and I could do that...I just prefer the bite over missing the bad guy since I want to choke down if I do not want a small bleed.
You probably have larger hands. Maybe more experience and can go from a full size to a LCP without any conscious adjustments and blast the target without ever a small bleed..I cannot. but I know most people with a small pistol get bit more often than they would like when trying to shoot it as they would in a bad situation...not one shot then a breath and shoot again but empty the mag.

I am far from saying I cannot shoot the thing without getting bit. I can and do. Only problem with any gun I have is I want to be able to fire at least a decent 3 round burst when at the range and your grip will shift on an LCP if you really want to work it out. Larger hands make it harder. Firing one shot down range and then taking a few seconds I do not get bit....In fact I do not get bit every time I go. Just often enough to know what when in stress I will likely grip it like every gun I own and cut myself if I have to fire rapidly. I know your XXL hands cannot rapid fire the LCP in comfort. If so that is a trick I need to learn. If I get a clean head shot game over but a moving crack head is more likely to get a couple to slow him down in the chest and then one in the head if still coming...rapidly as I practice at the range. If I start trying to change around my grip, stance, anything then I will throw off my shooting of most every other gun I own. I would prefer the occasional small band aid and to keep my muscle memory on the same page as me. I am afraid I would rather bleed a little than adjust what I know to be an accurate grip. I do know you are right and I could do that...I just prefer the bite over missing the bad guy since I want to choke down if I do not want a small bleed.
You probably have larger hands. Maybe more experience and can go from a full size to a LCP without any conscious adjustments and blast the target without ever a small bleed..I cannot. but I know most people with a small pistol get bit more often than they would like when trying to shoot it as they would in a bad situation...not one shot then a breath and shoot again but empty the mag.

40cal, I also have quite large paws and feel most comfortable with a larger weapon. That being said, I've got a set of wrap around rubber grips on my Sig 238/380 that allow me a good grip and allow fast follow up shots without shifting. The grippy rubber style grips are needed though as the stock grip slips as in your experience.

tb

I had a LCP but I don't like DAO and the no lock back on last round action. That and the fact that my wife wasn't able to rack the slide and chamber a round if she needed to, she is only 5' tall. We went to the gun earlier this year and racked slides until we found some that worked for her.

I know it's a bit above your stated price but I paid $469.99 on sale for a Sig P238, it is basically the same pistol as the Colt Mustang. SAO and is fun to shoot. I could put rounds on target with the LCP but I didn't like shooting it.

You can check some of the ranges to see if they have the pistols you are interested in, or see if someone in the community would want to spend the day doing a comparo.

Teach her to rack it quickly, she CAN do it.

My Colt mustang pocketlite is not going to be in a pocket holster as it is a lot to valuable to me after getting it from my grandfather. The Sig is a good recommendation but I would say the 230....now 232 is my favorite slim .380. Otherwise its the 13 round browning BDA .380.
So many small guns and so many various prices. An LCP will not let me down so I own one. I also do not care if it gets a little beat up during pocket carry...hell I would throw it at someone if I had to without a second thought about the value. They all function the same and the mustang or p238 sounds a little out of range. I still say if you can go with a small revolver do it and carry a speed loader.
.380 is my second favorite caliber and I have owned or shot pretty much all the makes and models. CZ makes a great single stack 9 by 18 makerov and can be had for 200 bucks. That is the 82 the 83 is .380 and holds 13. Awesome gun and again under 300. Bersa makes a good .380 but I would not choose that. PPKs is junk so an old PPK is the only way to get those initials to be a reliable gun. I still will grab the sig over the walther every time...aside from the range. A Kahr is awesome if you can manage to buy at least 200 rounds for break in.
Otherwise I say deal with the small size if its what you need and get a LCP. As I stated and others it bites. I put some rubber around the grip earlier thanks to TB it feels way more stable. Looking forward to letting it loose again.
If you buy the LCP you will love the way it carries. Just do not get one without the laser or after 15 feet or so you may as well throw the bullets or pray. Whichever you prefer. Still in the mid 300 range and as many have stated it goes bang when needed.
Sorry people but I love .380s and collect any older one or new cool one I can get so even though a lot of you know better about them I cannot help but at least share what I have learned about them by owning and shooting. Just do as everyone said and hold a few of the guns stated. Usually it all comes together for you when you do that.....or you walk out with 2 and a angry wife if you are me.

I am far from saying I cannot shoot the thing without getting bit...

I'll try some rapid as possible fire next time I take it out and see if it causes problems. Most likely the difference is I don't have other training to vary from. Most of my handgun shooting is revolvers or my .22 that I shoot for accuracy/hunting. Neither of those grips/shooting styles transfers, so I don't have the good larger semi shooting habits to avoid. Thanks for the well reasoned post. I enjoy finding the reason behind why things work or don't work. (I stand behind my concave thighs comment though. :D)

40cal, I also have quite large paws and feel most comfortable with a larger weapon. That being said, I've got a set of wrap around rubber grips on my Sig 238/380 that allow me a good grip and allow fast follow up shots without shifting. The grippy rubber style grips are needed though as the stock grip slips as in your experience.

tb

I certainly agree on the soft rubber grips. I'm 6' 5" and skinny, with arthritis starting in my hands. The tacky grips let me handle the p238 and p938 easily , without the pistol shifting in my palm. I also have some PPK clones ( FEG R61 and SMC918) that benefit from a piece of bike innner tube stretched over the grip. :) A pocket Makarov loaded pistol can be quite lively, BUT milsurp 9x18 Maks can handle stiffer ammo than the pocket plastic pistols.

Last Edited:
Beg, steal or borrow an LCR or an airweight J-frame and carry it in a pocket holster. You will be amazed at how easily it carries and conceals. Why settle for a wimpy, finicky little .380 when you can just as easily conceal a 100% reliable .38+P with a proven track record of service use?

I have to say that neither the SP101 or the LCR is as comfortable to carry, IMHO, as a thin, flat semi-auto. I DO agree that the revolver is a more reliable platform. I really like the thinner semi-auto's for concealed carry in warm weather, and the 9mm Makarov is superior to the 380 . I carry a PPK sized semi auto ( smc-918) loaded with 95 GR XTP , chrono's over 1200 fps . That's low end 9mm parabellum range and nice to shoot.

Beg, steal or borrow an LCR or an airweight J-frame and carry it in a pocket holster. You will be amazed at how easily it carries and conceals. Why settle for a wimpy, finicky little .380 when you can just as easily conceal a 100% reliable .38+P with a proven track record of service use?

.380 defensive rounds have come a long way. I have said 5 times here I prefer to have a revolver but I also said I carry a .22 Derringer when I have to. I think some people do not understand the different body type or wardrobe differences that cause the need for the lack of extra inch of the width of a gun. I am 6'2" 200lbs. There is not fat pocket to hide a gun in...yet.
If you can get away with a revolver all the time you either never have to walk into a boardroom meeting in a suit or are a husky guy. Nothing wrong with that but we cannot all get away with that. If I could get away with a revolver all the time I would not have a love for the .380. Even the Tomcat in .32acp has come to meetings with me. My first and only true love is a .357 but nobody can get away with that at least in my world at all times. Most days sure but the other days I am not going to not have a gun that fits and shoots well. In comes the slim .380. Buy a holster from amazon and your LCP looks like a perfect rectangle...or cell phone as others see it in your slacks. If we all lived in the country and could wear a jeans every day this conversation would not exist. Riding a elevator 30 floors along with a bunch of anti gun folks does not make me want to shove something that stands out to a perfect stranger or co worker in my pocket.

To Brent who seems somewhat new here but far from new to a gun I agree 100% on the PPK size grips. Sig 230 and PPK are almost identical in size of grip and they allow the best accuracy out of a small single stack for the perfect size grips as far as my hands are concerned. The only Makarov I have liked is the CZ 82. Lots of clones but since you have confidence in your clones can you tell me what you have? I have tried a few off brands out and not been impressed but I assume by your own statement of age and knowledge of the .380 platform you would not continue to have a gun that was not reliable.

Sorry Brent you did answer that with the SMC-918. I just did not recognize it as a model. I will have to look into it more. As you said that extra step up between .380 and 9mm is a big step.

"Why settle for a wimpy finicky little .380?" 6+1!!! Or, better said, more than five!
5x158 = 790 grains of +P hollowpoints in an airweight snub that will not jam.

7x90 = 630 grains of .380 wimpiness in a pocket auto...assuming you can get all 7 rounds out without an FTF or FTE.

My LCR in a Galco holster feels like a wallet in my front pocket, it carries just as easily as my KelTec P32 ever did, and if things ever get ugly I will feel a lot better knowing I have a weapon that will NOT jam with the ability to put service-powered rounds with decades of proven stopping power into the bad guy.

40calruler,
Google on the FEG family of milsurp pistols. FEG is the Hungarian national factory, that copied and improved the PP/PPK platform for Hungarian military and police use during the cold war. They are competent small pistols, and much less expensive than the Walthers. I have a couple CZ-82's as well ( they are the largest 9mm Mak pistols made) and they are part of my carry rotation. They're great pistols. I also have a pair of older CZ-75 compacts, a trio of Sig 9mm's and a Taurus .45 ACP . Everything is a compromise in carry guns. With me I carry based on the situation. I like the 45 or a CZ-75 in the woods, but in more civilized surroundings, I carry FEG 9mm Mak pistols ( and maybe Sig 938) . :)
Brent

5x158 = 790 grains of +P hollowpoints in an airweight snub that will not jam.

7x90 = 630 grains of .380 wimpiness in a pocket auto...assuming you can get all 7 rounds out without an FTF or FTE.

My LCR in a Galco holster feels like a wallet in my front pocket, it carries just as easily as my KelTec P32 ever did, and if things ever get ugly I will feel a lot better knowing I have a weapon that will NOT jam with the ability to put service-powered rounds with decades of proven stopping power into the bad guy.

Everybody must use what they feel best with. In the 80's I only had 357 Mags and 44 Mags. I can't shoot them now, and they don't conceal real well, anyway. I don't keep any guns that aren't reliable. I tune their springs to my carry ammo. I can put rounds on paper with my CZ-82 and can't touch that same paper with an LCR at 25 yards.
13 rounds x95 gr @ 300 ft-lbs energy , hitting a target at 25 yards trumps my performance with a 38 special. If you shoot a revolver better than I , then that should be your gun.
:)

Everybody must use what they feel best with. In the 80's I only had 357 Mags and 44 Mags. I can't shoot them now, and they don't conceal real well, anyway. I don't keep any guns that aren't reliable. I tune their springs to my carry ammo. I can put rounds on paper with my CZ-82 and can't touch that same paper with an LCR at 25 yards.
13 rounds x95 gr @ 300 ft-lbs energy , hitting a target at 25 yards trumps my performance with a 38 special. If you shoot a revolver better than I , then that should be your gun.
:)

I agree everyone should carry what they are competent and comfortable with. However the OP was asking about a LCP style gun. As Brent said I can Shoot the 82 or the sig 230 a lot faster and a lot more accurate at a bit of a distance than a snub revolver. Reliability wise all semi auto pistols can jam.
I agree that it would be ideal to carry a revolver all the time. Just cannot in my case though. I also do feel slightly comforted to have an extra mag on me. A speed loader with long .38s or .357 I find harder to conceal than a short slim 7 round mag. Also I can reload a mag a whole lot faster than a speed loader.

I will be checking out the FEG as I do like the sound of it. Besides that a heavier metal .380 or Makarov is a lot easier to control and rapid fire than a snub nose revolver. The cz 82 is like shooting a .22 compared to my sp101.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top