JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i know not the best pictures but trying to figure out what this rifle is. Distant family member not sure what they inherited.

988080B9-A029-47D2-B201-A2371C7E5D65.jpeg 62D14A45-5CB0-47D1-B40D-38283B75CA1E.jpeg 7818B867-E2EA-4356-BEA9-4FF51C8A78BA.jpeg 26A853A7-185C-465A-A55B-68B78147462F.jpeg 9EC26903-3F21-4E01-9F61-AEE5CD592D90.jpeg 457875D3-F46D-4787-932F-25681638E960.jpeg 8C703D25-0F64-4B57-8381-1A83A59B1581.jpeg 97B329D0-BCCE-43B3-AC02-CCD87ECE6798.jpeg

Additionally, a large number of training rifles were brought back as souvenirs. These were designed to fire training ammunition only, and they can be exceedingly dangerous if fired with full-power ammunition. If you have any doubts, carefully research your firearm or consult somebody familiar with Japanese small arms.
-------------------------------------------------

6) Most training rifles were not made of the same materialas the battle rifles and the reason is obvious to anyone that knows the differencebetween a blank and a live round. When a blank round is fired there is verylittle chamber pressure compared to a full power ball round. The better steelwas used to build fighting weapons while these training tools only requiredwhat is often described as "pot metal" it is good steel just not ordinancegrade. I cannot in any way suggest using an Arisaka training rifle receiver tobuild anything other than a nice looking wall hanger.

Bruce

I'm not an expert on Japanese Army gear. But. What this might be is a "school rifle," an older Type 38 taken out of military service. School rifles were reworked, often converted to smooth bore for firing blanks. Some have no military markings; some have them that have been defaced to denote withdrawal from service. Which I assume was a function of when or where it was done. The "star" marking on the chamber may represent the school that it was donated to.

One of the pictures in the OP shows the rear sight. Which has been modified by removal of the original notch on the slider. And replaced by a simple aperture sight, which it can be noted is slightly offset. This is another characteristic of converted school rifles.

I suppose there are other possibilities, but this seems the most likely to me. Arisaka type rifles were used around the world in a number of surprising places, sometimes in large quantities. Italy, Britain, Russia, Finland, China, et al.

Is the bore 6.5mm or 7.7mm? Are there any markings on the stock? Sometimes school rifles will have markings there.

That "mark" just below the star on the receiver ring, that's a vent hole that is filled with dirt and/or grease. Also note the different color on the receiver ring, where it appears original markings were removed before the "star" was added.

Additionally, a large number of training rifles were brought back as souvenirs. These were designed to fire training ammunition only, and they can be exceedingly dangerous if fired with full-power ammunition. If you have any doubts, carefully research your firearm or consult somebody familiar with Japanese small arms.
-------------------------------------------------

6) Most training rifles were not made of the same materialas the battle rifles and the reason is obvious to anyone that knows the differencebetween a blank and a live round. When a blank round is fired there is verylittle chamber pressure compared to a full power ball round. The better steelwas used to build fighting weapons while these training tools only requiredwhat is often described as "pot metal" it is good steel just not ordinancegrade. I cannot in any way suggest using an Arisaka training rifle receiver tobuild anything other than a nice looking wall hanger.

Bruce
These are the rifles, fired with ball ammo by unknowing GI's, that gave the Arisaka's their bad name in many post-war circles.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top