JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's lots of choices in a .380, and you've gotta make up your own mind of what's the best one for you. If you're already second guessing the LCP, or you otherwise need to be talked into it, your mind is already prejudiced and you'll always find fault with it. It'd be wise to look elsewhere. Not much different than my prejudice against any Taurus product.

But, here's my experience with the LCP...

I usually carry two guns. My main concealed-carry gun often changes depending on what I'm doing or how I'm dressed for what I'm doing.

My backup gun however, never changes. It's always the pipsqueak LCP. It has never failed. Many of my Bro's also carry the LCP as a backup, and everyone I know continues to be pleased with it.

WAYNO.

Do yourself a favor; before you buy a .380 for pocket carry, go to a range and rent...or at the very least go to a gun store and handle...a Ruger LCR airweight .38+P revolver. IMHO these are far better pocket guns for several reasons;

1. Reliability-they wont jam. All of the pocket 380's are known to be finicky and the more pocket lint and debris that they pick up the worse the problem gets. You also don't have to worry about accidentally hitting the mag release. A hammerless revolver also gives you the ability to carry and fire from inside a coat pocket at contact distance without ever exposing the weapon.

2. Cost- an airweight revolver like the LCR or the S&W 442/642 costs a little but more up front but you get that money back as soon as you buy ammo. You don't need to "break in" a revolver with 200 rounds of JHP carry ammo, which for a 380 will wind up costing you more money than you spent on the gun itself.

3. Stopping power- The .38+P 158 grain hollowpoint has a proven track record as a service round for decades and is far more effective than anything available for the .380.

4. Versatility- If overpenetration is a concern, you can shoot Glasers out of a revolver. If cost is a concern, you can shoot cheap RNL reloads bought in bulk. Your options for ammo choices are almost unlimited and you don't have to worry about FTE's or FTF's.

I have a Ruger LCR that I use for a summer pocket gun, with a Galco pocket holster it just disappears into the front pocket of denim or khaki shorts and I barely know its there. IMHO it is by far the best option for pocket carry.

I agree the LCR is a good choice, but it is not in the same size-class as the LCP and its clones. If we're already talking the OP out of a pocket .380 and into something more substantial, then I suggest he looks into a 1911.:)

Everybody has their opinions, but I do not consider the LCR as a pocket gun. Yep, the LCR would probably fit in the pockets of my jeans, but I don't think it'd be very comfortable having to adjust my pockets every time I sit down, get in a car, or jump on my motorcycle. The same argument could be said for the LCP, but when I consider it a pocket gun, the only pocket I consider is the front pocket of my shirt.

Again the LCR is a great little gun, and a .38 Spl cartridge is always superior to any .380 cartridge, but the only way I carry any revolver of any size is in a real holster. Even right now I'm carrying my LCR in a OWB holster...Not with the belt thru my belt loops of my jeans, but above my pants, around my gut, in a separate belt. It is virtually weightless, and I forget it's there. An oversized untucked shirt completes my ensemble and nobody would ever guess I'm carrying.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
I carried a Kel Tec P32 ( .32 ACP version of the 3AT) in a pocket holster for a few years until I upgraded to my LCR and what I can say from personal experience is that the difference in weight and bulk between the two guns is barely noticeable whereas the difference in reliability, accuracy and stopping power is huge.

The bottom line is this; if you ever wind up in a situation where your life or the life of a loved one is totally depending upon the reliability and performance of the gun you will have in your hand...would you rather have that gun be a pocket .380 auto or an airweight revolver shooting a cartridge with 100+ years of proven effectiveness in service use? For me the choice is an easy one.

It's a shame makarovs have climbed so much in price, always considered them to be very reliable but a bit heavy in weight and trigger pull. It does fill out my speedos nicely, sorry, no pics.

Next time try putting the potato in front...

Have a Sig 238 in 380 that seems very reliable and well made. All metal but still under a pound weight and 6 plus 1. Can engage the safety and keep it engaged while chambering a round.

I have had no issues with my LCP, it eats anything. Only about 200 rnds though. Two years old now. I got mine with a laser already aboard and I feel much more confident about fast, close range hits. I dislike pocket carry so I use a SHTF Gear ITW holster. The tiny little gat just disappears and it's super comfortable. Good luck finding the perfect pistol for you. SRG

Agreed that the LCP has no issues for me either and fits anywhere without giving you that bulge. It is a bubblegum to shoot for fun but after a few hundred rounds and as Sgt said the laser is a huge difference maker in it. Otherwise you really have to be 10 feet or closer to be able to make a clean shot. Laser I can hit the chest on paper at 50ft.....most of the time....Still it is a gun I only use when wearing a suit or riding my bike as it sucks to shoot and has made my hand bleed often. My guess is that gun will end up drawing more blood from me at the range than it will from a bad guy since hopefully it will never need to be used. I would take a look at a LCRx and see if you can pull it off. Much better concealed gun in my opinion and I leave the range happy..not holding my hand in pain.

Just to clarify as most say the LCR and I had not read all that in my first response I say the x because you cannot beat a tiny bit more weight but the ability to fire .357 as well as 38 plus p. It just allows you to find that much more ammo in this time of empty shelves.

Mini pistols. If you have big hands beware of slide bite!! Been there done that. Went with a Interarms Star compact 9mm. Fits nicely in my front or back pocket. But then I wear XXL or extra fat clothes.

Agreed that the LCP has no issues for me either and fits anywhere without giving you that bulge. It is a bubblegum to shoot for fun but after a few hundred rounds and as Sgt said the laser is a huge difference maker in it. Otherwise you really have to be 10 feet or closer to be able to make a clean shot. Laser I can hit the chest on paper at 50ft.....most of the time....Still it is a gun I only use when wearing a suit or riding my bike as it sucks to shoot and has made my hand bleed often. My guess is that gun will end up drawing more blood from me at the range than it will from a bad guy since hopefully it will never need to be used. I would take a look at a LCRx and see if you can pull it off. Much better concealed gun in my opinion and I leave the range happy..not holding my hand in pain.

Ha Ha, while I'm a big and fat guy, I have tiny little hands so the LCP is pretty easy for me to shoot. :D

Thanks for all the responses. Im still on the fence. Since im off tomorrow im going to go to sportmans warehouse and hold some guns. Also found out they have a layaway program so maybe that sig is notout of the question.

The LCP is just way too small.
I do have a LC380 which is the same size as the LC9 and its pretty slim. Has some mag issues though.

Way too many safety features on it though. Bersa is another that comes to mind. Both have been reliable in the past.

Unless you're after just a small backup pistol.

Ha Ha, while I'm a big and fat guy, I have tiny little hands so the LCP is pretty easy for me to shoot. :D

The LCP makes me wish I had small hands but I am 6'2" and have oversized hands that make me have to put a rubber grip even on my M&P 40 full size...So yeah the LCP is like a little yappy dog that is cute and functions as a gun but has no regrets about biting the hand that feeds it. Pretty much like all little dogs it is cute and comforting while in your lap but when it starts yapping its out of control on the bite side. I carry it if I have to. I do prefer a CZ 82 or a sig 230. Little bigger is the CZ 83 but holds 13 rounds of .380 and all of those including the ppk and the Bersa leaves my little flap between my finger and thumb alone. So if you have smaller hands enjoy...if I have to pull the LCP I am pretty sure it is going to bite me as I have no way to get a good grip without a good chance of my pup taking a chunk out. Better that than let the bad guy take a chunk out when nothing else fits and I do trust the LCP for going boom when I need it. My vote is the LC9 Or LC 380 if you are stuck on a slim gun made by Ruger. Otherwise I would get the Bersa if I was choosing again if price was an issue. If not spend a little more on a Sig. Well worth it.

For all the reasons you stated, I purchased a S&W Bodyguard about two weeks ago for $329.00. I looked very carefully at the LCP but I didn't like the way it felt in my hand. I looked at the Glock 42 but it was more money than I wanted to spend.

I am sure they are all fine weapons, but when I looked at feel, size, weight and price; I chose the Bodyguard.

I was looking for a small pocket pistol last year. After checking out many that have been mentioned here I settled on a Taurus model 85 .38 special five shot revolver. Bought mine for a bit over $300.

It sits well in a Galco pocket holster and is easy to get a purchase on even when wearing Levis.
I use this set up whenever I'm wearing a T shirt...+P and a speed loader in my other pocket, and only feel a little bit under gunned.

Last Edited:
I would agree on the revolver as a Taurus 605 is my favorite carry piece when its hot. Only problem with any of the revolvers is they are quite a bit wider. When I have to wear a suit at work I want to be able to take my coat off so iwb is out. Revolver is noticeable in properly fitted slacks and the LCP does have its use in that situation and a few other...or the bodyguard..same size and width pretty much. I can put the LCP in my slacks in a pocket holster and it looks like a cell phone...no revolver looks like a cell phone in a decent fitted suit. Some people never have to worry about that but I do so I would rather have a gun I do not care for but trust than nothing. Corporate meetings it is trimmed down to a old high standard 2 shot 22 mag derringer. Again when you need to have extreme concealment 2 shots is better than 0.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top