JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been gettin' back in the mood for this round.
Most likely in a Marlin 336.
Always wanted one. Would be willing to trade off the Model 94 for one of these.
Check this video. Impressive!

When my mom was little on the homestead, in Canada, the whole family would go compete with the big Black Bears for berrys! With his tiny wife and four small children he felt under gunned! So he traded in his .30-30 Winchester for the Remington model 8 in .35 Remington. Through the following years he killed many Bear, Deer, Moose, Wolves and Foxes! That Remington was his baby and he never let it go until his will was read!:) SRG

Flopsweat,

Odd. I made that post yesterday and am just now coming back, as I was alerted to your (and the others) reply.
I can see the video here, no problem.
Weird.
Sounds like something got jammed up in the pipeline on your end.
Thanks for posting the link anyway, I'll have to remember to do that in future posts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medic!,

If I had a .375, I wouldn't feel the need for the .35. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sgt. Nambu,

That's a great story!
Does that Model 8 still reside within your family?
...better question, got pics or a video of it? =D

Dean

Yeah, that video.
...got me to thinkin'...
As rifle cartridges go, in general, the .35 Remington doesn't really rank especially high.
On paper it really only bests the .351 Winchester Self-Loading and the .30-30...and not by much.
Yet, it'll take a big bear, Moose...or 5/16" low carbon steel plate (and lord knows we all are very familiar with the treachery of 5/16" steel plate!).
...anyway, got me to thinkin'...
Maybe its not about making oodles of power at the get go, so as to last the trip down to the target, but rather retaining the energy due to substantial mass.
Its akin to a WWII fighter plane with a supercharged engine. The supercharger was never meant to increase the power the engine (although mass amounts of marketing speak otherwise), but rather, it was meant to retain power at higher altitudes (because as the air gets thinner, the engine makes less power).
So what one really gets with a .35 Remington is a controllable round that just happens to have enough mass to the projectile that it can deliver more energy to the target, because of its ability to retain that energy better.
...and with the numerous .35 cal. pointed bullets that fall into that 200 grain weight, now they can retain even more energy, via retention of velocity, in addition to the mass (and for the tubular magazine crowd, Hornady now makes a .35 cal 200 gr. FTX with BC numbers that almost double those of the rounded nose bullets).
This makes the .35 Remington extra special, in my eye.
Possibly...the best hunting round ever, for ranges within 100 yards.

Dean

The 200 grain .35 Remington is a great cartridge, and the Marlin 336 is a great rifle.

Sure, it's not a 1,000 yard cartridge, or even a 400 yard cartridge, but who gives damn?

Go with the .35 Remington & you will never regret it! I know that I've never regretted owning and shooting my Marlin in .35 Rem

If you want something other than the commonly available 200 grain load, look to the LeveRevolution ammo from Hornady.

Even with the 94 .375. I would still like a nice model 8 in .35 Remington. The trick is to find one in really good condition.

The .375 I bought was like new. And that's why I bought it. [Well it had some nice wood also].

The older they are the harder it is to find nice examples.

I'm to the point now that I but almost anything old in good condition. I don't find many. But it's still about to put me in the poor house.:(

Last Edited:
I always found it interesting that, when Winchester developed the .375, they beefed up the part of the receiver around the hammer.
I guess that's to help out that flat block that helps hold the bolt closed.
You'd think they'd bolster up the chamber portion, but I guess the standard design can work with the pressures involved in shooting the .375.
Beautiful wood on that stock, btw.

The 200 grain .35 Remington is a great cartridge, and the Marlin 336 is a great rifle.

Sure, it's not a 1,000 yard cartridge, or even a 400 yard cartridge, but who gives damn?

Go with the .35 Remington & you will never regret it! I know that I've never regretted owning and shooting my Marlin in .35 Rem

If you want something other than the commonly available 200 grain load, look to the LeveRevolution ammo from Hornady.
Jerry,

You are my new friend.
Congratulations.
You get it!
It's not for shooting across canyons, but for deep woods hunting, when ranges can be easily within 100 yards, It's literally second to none.
The biggest pisser of this whole thing is I had such a huge jones for the .35/336 combo back in the 70's and through the 80's.
Not sure what changed my mind 30 years ago, but I'm back on it, now! o_O
Back in '87, I lived in Bothell and there was a pawn shop I drove past every day.
One day, I decided to pay them a visit and they had a 336 on the wall for $90.
Someone had pained the stock black, but it was in nice shape.
Once the guy told me it was chambered for .35 Remington, I wanted to walk out of there with it right then.
Without any haggling, he told me I could have it for $75 and we shook on it.
Unfortunately, the money just wasn't there in those days and I was waiting on a cheque.
Told him I'd be back in a week or so.
I never returned. :eek::mad::(

Dean
P.S. The Leverevolution round uses the FTX bullet I mentioned in an earlier post. I notice that round is loaded to a higher velocity than the standard round. I wonder if its a more stout charge or that's part of the difference using that particular bullet makes.....hmmm

Mike,

You use a shoulder stock with that T/C or just hand held?
Blows my mind, someone shooting a rifle cartridge from a hand gun.
I always picture some guy shooting it and his whole hand rips right off his arm, in a very Monty Python sort of way. :D

Dean

Nope, just your standard T/C contender.
My collection of barrels is much smaller now, only have a 22lr, 30-30 win and the Ol 35 rem.

Between the 30-30 and 35 rem, both super 14 barrels with scopes. The 35 rem is much more enjoyable to shoot.

Less recoil than my ruger super black hawk Hunter 44 mag with 240 gr hot loads.

Always wanted a super 14 45/70 barrel for the t/c :D

Do you feel the Winchester '07 is a better gun than the Model 8 Remington?

I really like the Winchester 1907 but ammo is tough to find,if it used the .35 rem round I would probably like it more because then I could find some ammo for it.
Both guns are great but I think the Remington Model 8 might be slightly more reliable but in my hands the Winchester is more accurate when I could find ammo for it.

Yeah, I'm sure 351 WSL ammo is tough to locate these days.
Another surprisingly effective round.
Check out this Ballistics Gel test...

Edit: Apologies for the schmaltzy music. Even if you enjoy such music, you have to agree, here, it just doesn't work.
Did a quick Google search and noticed the following:
1) As I'm sure you're painfully aware of by now, Winchester no longer offers that ammo.
2) Did find Graf & Sons offers a couple of loadings for this cartridge.
3) Buffalo Arms also offers this load.

Graf & Sons - https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/273
Buffalo Arms - http://www.buffaloarms.com/351_WSL_Winchester_Self_Loading_Ammunition_it-158003.aspx?CAT=4445

Any gun shop should be able to get these for you.

Dean

Last Edited:
I found a minty Remington model 8 at a garage sale a couple of years ago.
On a whim, I stopped at a house with very few items out in front of the garage.
As I walked around one of the tables I noticed some .22lr, 45acp & .300 Savage ammo for sale.
I asked an old guy sitting in a lawn chair what was up with the .300 Savage ammo, as I had never seen it before.
He told me that it went to an old Remington rifle with three barrels and would I like to see it.
He goes in the house and comes back with the model 8 and proceeds to tell me that it has three barrels, but what he was pointing to was the barrel shroud, end cap and the actual barrel.
After a lot of talking, I ended up buying from him a really nice Remington bolt action .22 rifle and all of the ammo.
He didn't want to part with the model 8 just then, but he gave me his phone # and told me to check back before the end of summer as he was planning on moving into a rest home and they didn't allow firearms.

I finally bought the model 8 a month later, and as I was walking out the door with the rifle, he asked me if I was interested in an old .45 pistol that he inherited from his older brother.
Once again he goes into his house and comes out to the garage with a WW II Remington Rand .45 and says that his brother carried it through the war.
The old guy didn't like the parkerizing finish on it, so he had sanded it down to bare metal and never got around to bluing it. He wanted $500.00 for it.
I told him the value was severely reduced and it's to bad he messed with it, and I would get back to him about it.

After a couple of days of research, I called him back with an offer, and he then told me that a guy who worked for the rest home asked if he had any firearms that needed to be disposed of and he had stopped by and made an offer of $100.00 cash because it's government property and he could go to jail owning it, so he sold it to him.
One month later, I see an ad on Craigslist promoting a lawn sale in West Linn that featured 24 guns.
I went there and to my surprise was that Remington Rand on a table along with a bunch of over priced old shotguns and other old beaters. The .45 was now priced at $1,000.00
This slick Willie of a guy goes around and scams old people out of their vintage firearms, paying next to nothing and then cherry picking the best and unloading the rest.

Did you happen to get the name of that scumbag?
Post it.
Let everyone know who to look out for.
That's a neat story about the old guy, too.
I think his rifle was actually a model 81 though. I don't think any Model 8's were ever chambered for .300 Savage.
Pays to garage sale, I guess.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews