JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Forgive me if I speed-read this thread and overlooked something, but I see no mention of the Remington 14/141's (with focus here on the .35 Remington chamberings).

This gun is arguably the lightest, fastest, handiest and most powerful hunting weapon in the entire world. (When I say this, I am combining all four superlatives together toward the conclusion.)

Hound hunters after Bear and Cougar seek these guns out in this caliber because there are few if any other weapons that deliver all four characteristics at once. The man running across rough terrain and through the timber after his dogs on a hot trail after dangerous game can strap this gun on his back, and never know it is there until the time comes to apply it.

When that time comes, it never fails to come to the shoulder instantly, never fails to grant rapid and perfect sight picture with no struggle, never fails to function, and in this cartridge never fails to kill.

When all four characteristics are imperative to the task, there is no other choice. The .35 Remington is the fourth crown on a package that is perfection.

P1010804_zps64c2f49b.jpg

That's funny? I thought the 94 win. .375 at 7lbs. vs. the rem. 14 .35 at 7-3/4lbs. Is the lighter, faster, handier and more powerful hunting weapon? :s0002:

Now if I can just find ammo for it. :( It's out there. But not like .35 Remington.

Last Edited:
You're right, it was a model 81. When I took the barrel action apart, I found that a part was missing
(barrel nut washer) and had the devil of a time finding a replacement.
I think the old guy tried disassemble the barrel action and lost it when it all sprang apart.
I can't remember the slimy guys name, but he was also selling over priced guns and ammo during the last drought out of his sons house around SE 138th & Burnside.
He made 82nd ave used car salesman look honest.

That's funny? I thought the 94 win. .375 at 7lbs. vs. the rem. 14 .35 at 7-3/4lbs. Is the lighter, faster, handier and more powerful hunting weapon? :s0002:

Now if I can just find ammo for it. :( It's out there. But not like .35 Remington.

My 141 carbine, with the sling, recoil pad, swivels, tang peep (with buckhorn still), and upgraded (not original, heavier) front sight tips my RCBS trigger-pull scale at 6.9lbs. Strip the sling and swivels, replace the original sight, pad and such, and I believe the disparity in weight comparison would be accented.

I would also present the Remington as having fewer "protrusions" than a 94(to include hammer, lever and such). This grants advantage toward sling carry and mounting of the weapon in a rapid fashion, as well as scabbard carry considerations.

Persons favoring pump actions over levers (I actually prefer a lever), would argue with good defense perhaps a measure of speed toward cycling the action, and even a lever man such as myself would not challenge retention of sight picture advantage toward a slick pump.

You presented with facts an admirably strong contender (as was my hope when I made my definitive conclusion). I stand with my champion when ALL four characteristics are considered.

I think the disparity in all areas are accented. They are far more similar than they are different.
I cant like my 94 without liking the 141. The same is true of the.375 and .35 cartridges.

I won't argue with my brother that I'm better looking because I have a smaller nose. And He has bigger ears.:s0104:

You're right, it was a model 81. When I took the barrel action apart, I found that a part was missing
(barrel nut washer) and had the devil of a time finding a replacement.
I think the old guy tried disassemble the barrel action and lost it when it all sprang apart.
I can't remember the slimy guys name, but he was also selling over priced guns and ammo during the last drought out of his sons house around SE 138th & Burnside.
He made 82nd ave used car salesman look honest.
Had to play catch up, so I decided to go back over your story.
Considering that you ended up with a nice little .22, I think you came out on top.
Sure, the slime bag is...well, a slime bag...maybe?
However after reading your first story again, along with your latest post, I'm thinkin' now that old guy maybe wasn't quite as "innocent" as he seemed.
The fact that he wanted $500 for the .45 tells me he's done some research on the resale value of that gun. Maybe it was a few years ago, but he got it for free, from him brother. Typically in those cases, you'd be asked to quote him a price, not the other way around.
Now you find pieces missing from the Model 81.
Granted, he didn't want to sell initially, but "call me before the end of summer", tells me he's about to go into research mode again.
...got me wonderin' about that $100 selling price he quoted you, too (Mr. Slime Bag isn't looking quite so slimey now).
Like I say, you ended up with a nice little .22 (for not too much $$$?) and were able to walk away from the rest unscathed, puts you pretty much on top, in my eyes.

Dean

Last Edited:
Forgive me if I speed-read this thread and overlooked something, but I see no mention of the Remington 14/141's (with focus here on the .35 Remington chamberings).

This gun is arguably the lightest, fastest, handiest and most powerful hunting weapon in the entire world. (When I say this, I am combining all four superlatives together toward the conclusion.)

Hound hunters after Bear and Cougar seek these guns out in this caliber because there are few if any other weapons that deliver all four characteristics at once. The man running across rough terrain and through the timber after his dogs on a hot trail after dangerous game can strap this gun on his back, and never know it is there until the time comes to apply it.

When that time comes, it never fails to come to the shoulder instantly, never fails to grant rapid and perfect sight picture with no struggle, never fails to function, and in this cartridge never fails to kill.

When all four characteristics are imperative to the task, there is no other choice. The .35 Remington is the fourth crown on a package that is perfection.
Hey, that's a cool ol' gun you got! :s0155:
14/141 is cool. I seem to remember its replacement, the 760, was once offered in .35 Remington, too.
I wonder what you'd find in a side-by-side comparison of those guns, if you could get both in .35 Remington.
Anyway, thanks for the pics. That's a really nice piece you got there.

Dean

The old guy was an old time horse trader, but he just had a lung removed because of cancer.
He didn't want to sell because he was thinking that he would beat cancer and wouldn't have to move into a care facility.
The Remington 511 ScoreMaster I picked up for $100.00.
The Model 81 for $375.00, he wanted $475.00 but I really didn't want it that bad, as I prefer Winchesters.
As far as the initial Remington Rand price of $500.00, I do believe that he had looked it up, but since I pointed out that he had severely undercut the value by sanding it down to base metal, I wasn't going to spend a lot 0f coin on it, but would just do a home blue on it and keep it as a shooter.
He had one other firearm that I passed up on, which I had heard about but never seen.
It was a H&R Handi-Gun in .410 caliber which is on the ATF's illegal to own list.
Very cool and he only wanted $150.00 but owning one is not worth going to prison for it.

LOL! Agreed.
Yep, you confirmed it. He was an old horse trader.
He had some cool stuff, though.
Sucks about the cancer. My dad died from Cancer.
Were you ever able to get the model 81 fixed?

Dean

Found a place back east that specializes in vintage Remington parts. About $12.00 plus shipping.
It was a cool old rifle, beautiful shape with no scope mount holes drilled in it.
But a little too heavy and not something that I wanted to hang onto.
Sold it to a collector in Ohio.

Here's another interesting video featuring the Model 8 Remington chambered in 35 cal.
Take notice just how high he makes that 5 gallon bucket of water jump, at around the 6 minute mark...

I just got a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem today in a trade. I have been doing a lot of reading on it, and i think it will be a fun little rifle. Plus it will go nicely with my 358 NM and my 35 Whelen.

:D Hey, at least you now know it works.
...wish I could still shoot out of my back yard.:(
First chance you get, you should pop a pic or two of it in the "show your guns" thread.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top