JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you recommend and why?

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • 6.5 Creed

Votes: 26 40.6%

• Total voters
I own two .308win. rifles and would recommend the 6.5 unless you have a purpose for the .308 like Tactical class PRS. Like others have stated 6.5 Creed will recoil less and has favorable ballistics. Have you considered the 6 Creed if you are just punching paper? Last thing, if you go with a .308 rifle targetsportsusa has 200rd. Cases of Fed. GMM for less than $200 delivered all the time.

I think the .308's recoil isn't an issue, since it can be tamed with a good muzzle brake.

I vote 6.5 creed. I have both calibers; 308 (bolt gun), and (6.5 AR10). I have been a long-time 308 guy. There is vast amounts of data for the 308 and I love the cartridge. The 308 is a proven, do everything round. Two years ago I got the 6.5. It has became my go-to rifle out of all of mine—30-06, 270, 308, etc. I don't have the dies to reload for it yet, but Hornady makes some very accurate ammo for the 6.5–expensive, but good. Last two years the 6.5 has been my deer/wild boar rifle and using Hornay's hunting ammo it has done a fantastic job at long distance. I am currently in Texas which has horrible wind—and lots of wild boar/coyotes. 308 gets blown around a lot and I used to pull my hair out trying to get firing solutions for the ever changing start/stop swirling gusts of wind out to 700 meters. I spent years shooting known distance ranges and getting data for my 308. With the creedmore, I just haven't had the time to make wind or ballistic charts. Right now, with the 6.5, I don't even calculate or adjust for wind—I took Hornady's Data off their website for ballistic drop, and dial my scope or hold. Most of the time, I just pull the trigger—which is helpful when you are tracking a boar/coyote at distance. (Hard core guys are going to cringe about not calculating—truth is, I just haven't had the time to make all the same data/dope charts for the creedmore as I had with the 308–reality is, I haven't needed them yet—6.5 is flatter shooting and bucks the wind better than 308). Bolt rifle vs gas gun (AR10). Recoil of a gas gun is quite a bit less than a bolt gun of same caliber—a good portion of felt recoil is absorbed by buffer and spring. Combine gas gun, creedmore caliber and suppressor, and the recoil is low enough you can keep the scope on target for follow-up shots. Every round through my 308 made it jump just enough (suppressed as well) and it would take a second to "find" my target again—6.5 is always right there—it doesn't move.

@DB Wesner : Just came across this in the rifle classifieds. Don't know why the text copied over here in bold print.

T3x CTR Stainless 6.5 Creedmoor 20" with threaded barrel. Tikka Performance 20 moa rail and pineapple bolt. Vortex Viper Gen 2. 5-25x50 illuminated Mrad. Vortex Precision Matched Rings and defender flip caps. Right around 200 rounds fired with proper break in. Gun is sub MOA all day long if you do your part. Shot out to 1300 at COSSA. Just going a different Creedmoor direction

Approximately $2,400 invested, asking $1,900. FFL of your choice in CO or will ship at your cost. I would let the rifle go separately for $850 with rail and bolt. Tom. 503.five three nine.8566

If 600 yards is the limit either cartridge is fine.

If you want to LEARN about shooting out to 600 yards get a .308 Winchester.

If you want to just start hitting targets out to 600 yards at will and quickly get bored with it, and move out to further distances, get the 6.5 Creedmoor.

600 yards with a creedmoor is absolutely boring under normal shooting conditions.

The 308 will make you learn to judge wind and hold off much more as it requires 2-3 times as much wind correction as the creedmoor given the same conditions.

Drop dope is nothing but a simple calculation, learn to read wind and you will master the art of long range, even if you think 600 yards is long range.
That's a killer post , I'd love to shoot with you !

This is my 600 yard gun . Just a 556 with a 1-6x . It's the most fun and frustrating but I have learned more about reloading and shooting to 600 yards from this rifle than anything I've read .
6BD96675-0F97-4AC7-B719-3C6BF2DED52A.jpeg
CE56C8A1-C7B4-4A9D-9150-490BC2ACCA87.jpeg

Man that pic gets my competitive juices flowing, can't wait to see how bad I am...LOL
No matter how bad it's a better day than at work lol . With me it's not about the groups out there with my set ups. It's about hits as fast as as I can . At 600 I'm never samaller than 12 inches on windy days it's rougher but I shure have learned to judge wind value. I shoot at a place that usually bench rest folks shoot at . Some of them shoot an inch at 600. But when I shoot they all stop and commend me for even hitting paper with that silly rifle . They respect the challenge of it and admit they probably couldn't do better . It's always fun .

I just worked out a 600 yard load I hope for this , a 16" 308 . But a 1-8 . Should be easier that the 556 in my mind ..... drop is easy . Wind should be a little better . But a challenge .

3A5C9417-962F-4BA4-9D8E-7232FA95AD1F.jpeg

100% agreed, just can't believe I was so focused on pistol work and totally missed Riflecraft. I'm pretty stocked to get going on it.

100% agreed, just can't believe I was so focused on pistol work and totally missed Riflecraft. I'm pretty stocked to get going on it.
I'm the opposite . I so need to invest more in pistol . I suck . I do good enough to competently defend myself and not hurt others but to shoot well I need to shoot them a lot and I don't especially as of late . I'm a natural rifleman , so I gravitate to what I am better at I guess . Need more pistol time aways . I have waves .

Just get a Glock 19, their dishwasher safe...LOL
Lol , I carry a 29 . Closest I've been to buyers remorse . It's really when I learned how bad I sucked with pistols . I was single action until then , mostly CZ , make anyone look decent , Glock , not so much . Made me better though once I figured out it wasn't the gun .

I've determined that I want to be a better rifleman, being proficient and accurate at shooting up to 600 yards. Through the process of talking with some guys here I've decided that the Tikka T3x CTR is the rifle but I need some help with which caliber to choose.

The choice has been narrowed to .308 & 6.5 CM.

What do you recommend and why?

I appreciate your help.
The .308 Win. is available worldwide and has a mind bending variety of loads and choices...

After much review I've elected to go with the much storied .308.

I realize that I'll have to retire my Hipster wardrobe and buy a Filson Makinaw coat to own the .308, but the sacrifice is worth it. Thanks to all that contributed to this discussion.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top