JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you recommend and why?

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • 6.5 Creed

Votes: 26 40.6%

• Total voters
Even hipsters agree..

B8E5ABDA-800B-4E02-B97E-8427181D2908.jpeg

6.5CM is not a novelty or a hipster round. It's here to stay, and it's better. In almost all aspects.

6.5cm is ballistically better with lower recoil. It is flatter at a distance. Overall it is a better round if you're choosing from scratch. 308 is cheaper to shoot and you can find ammo everywhere by 6.5cm is becoming popular faster than any other cartridge I've seen.

Personally though I would go 260 rem which is a little hotter. Not even by much.

Either way don't look back. Either caliber will be excellent.

Also Tikka are great but you can switch barrels on savages an that means you can have as many calibers as you like over time.

I didn't know that was possible. Now I have some research to do...

Yup. The AR10 6.5 and .308 take the same mags, same BCG, and same lower. It is just the barrel, that is different.

So take for instance if you already had a complete .308, you could get most any 6.5 Creedmoor completed upper and make the switch and shoot 6.5 Creedmoor.

I voted for the 308, seventy years of history, gallantly serving in the military today. It was my cousins choice in the new Winchester 88. I don't have to say Creedmoor to explain it. I don't like the term 'modern'. I don't care about Mrs. Creedmoor and all her little weird Creedmoor kids. I have plenty of 308 ammo. I am not elitist like some certain people around here.

Really I do not shoot rifles other than black ones much these days, and I am not going to re-barrel a AR-10. I am not into long rage shooting as that congers up long range walking. Hunting that would be way down and then way up. I'll leave you to it.

I own two .308win. rifles and would recommend the 6.5 unless you have a purpose for the .308 like Tactical class PRS. Like others have stated 6.5 Creed will recoil less and has favorable ballistics. Have you considered the 6 Creed if you are just punching paper? Last thing, if you go with a .308 rifle targetsportsusa has 200rd. Cases of Fed. GMM for less than $200 delivered all the time.

If 600 yards is the limit either cartridge is fine.

If you want to LEARN about shooting out to 600 yards get a .308 Winchester.

If you want to just start hitting targets out to 600 yards at will and quickly get bored with it, and move out to further distances, get the 6.5 Creedmoor.

600 yards with a creedmoor is absolutely boring under normal shooting conditions.

The 308 will make you learn to judge wind and hold off much more as it requires 2-3 times as much wind correction as the creedmoor given the same conditions.

Drop dope is nothing but a simple calculation, learn to read wind and you will master the art of long range, even if you think 600 yards is long range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top