JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you recommend and why?

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • 6.5 Creed

Votes: 26 40.6%

• Total voters
What part of "That is absolutely incorrect"." Would be considered a friendly comment? I would think a moderator might choose their words more carefully. I try not to make sweeping judgmental statements in my posts. So I won't say anything more on this topic.
Whichever the OP decides, I hope he enjoys the experience.
Well I'm the OP of this thread and I've tried to explain he misunderstood, but if you've decided to be upset, I can't change that for you.

That said let's take a breathe and remember rule #1 "Be excellent to each other"

I saw them. I just take exception to being called out by a moderator who apparently didn't read my post. Or maybe he didn't understand it.

Who's calling out who here?

I misunderstood your wording, and I apologized. What more do you want from me?

Well I'm the OP of this thread and I've tried to explain he misunderstood, but if you've decided to be upset, I can't change that for you.

That said let's take a breathe and remember rule #1 "Be excellent to each other"
OK, but in spite of condemnation from on high, the. 308 is still leading the poll. :D

Surprised no one mentioned the option to buy any .308 AR10, and then get a 6.5 completed upper to switch it out in less than 10 seconds in the field, or at home in the garage.

Or better yet, buy any AR10 lower and make your own. Buy both the .308 and 6.5 barrels with all the parts and you're good to go.

I didn't know that was possible. Now I have some research to do...

In case you're wondering, barrel life really is a legitimate concern for the 6.5 cm. You can start seeing burnout prior to 3k rounds. That's a lot rounds for some, but not very many for anyone who actually shoots.

Comparing performance of the two past 600 yds really is kind of silly. Sure, you can consistently hit plates with the .308. But decent groups is something that requires a lot more tuning and doping than with the Creedmoor.
Hell it takes 3000 to start to get good at distance lol . Takes me a couple hundred rounds to figure out a load for a rifle sometimes depending on how obsessed I get ..... and of course way out there you are loading hot as possible so there is that for a reloader. A lot of shooting in a 6.5 though , if every round is a thoughtful press

I own both calibers. .308 in Rem 700 VSSF with Jewel trigger and bi-pod. Shoots 3/8" at 100 yds. 6.5 Creedmoor in Ruger American and Tikka T3X CTR. Shoots 3/8" at 100 yds out of both 6.5 rifles.

.308 brass is easier and cheaper to find.

6.5 bullets are longer with higher BC, therefore better external ballistics.

Recoil: I don't notice much difference between the rifles - the Remington 700 is a little heavier, thus absorbing more of the recoil.

Good question.

6.5 is a novelty toy. I have two 308's in the safe, one bolt and one in AR-10 flavor.

308 you can hunt with and take down most anything on the North American continent. 308 is also super easy to find supplies for and you can buy ammo for it almost anywhere. 6.5 is coming close but still, not as easy as 308.

6.5 will piss you off thinking you have a bad load when in reality it's the nut behind the trigger that's not doing so well.

Both of mine recoil about the same with the proper brake/break. if they didn't I wouldn't shoot them.

Funny ! And I voted 6.5 for his application but in my life I am very fimly in the 308 camp lol

Really I like them both. Just seems like most guys I know that have a .308 really want a 6.5CM. Not so much the other way around. :)

6.5 is a novelty toy. I have two 308's in the safe, one bolt and one in AR-10 flavor.

308 you can hunt with and take down most anything on the North American continent. 308 is also super easy to find supplies for and you can buy ammo for it almost anywhere. 6.5 is coming close but still, not as easy as 308.

6.5 will piss you off thinking you have a bad load when in reality it's the nut behind the trigger that's not doing so well.

Both of mine recoil about the same with the proper brake/break. if they didn't I wouldn't shoot them.

"Novelty toy"? Ehhh.....

Really I like them both. Just seems like most guys I know that have a .308 really want a 6.5CM. Not so much the other way around. :)
Grass is always greener I suppose. I'm a dooms day guy that lives in more or less tight vegetive rugged topography...... never get a realistic long shot 500+... If I ever turn into an insurgent who knows probably get good at belly crawling everywhere

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top