JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you recommend and why?

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • 6.5 Creed

Votes: 26 40.6%

• Total voters
After much review I've elected to go with the much storied .308.

I realize that I'll have to retire my Hipster wardrobe and buy a Filson Makinaw coat to own the .308, but the sacrifice is worth it. Thanks to all that contributed to this discussion.
Your the man , you won't be sorry . The sheer amount of ammunition options and possibilities will make your brain hurt but you won't be sorry and you won't get bored .

Nowadays if I have to walk over 25yds it's a problem.... need to buy a 4whlr. ;):)
Yeas a 4whlr and favorable terrain could make me interested in Long range shooting. I do think I would go with a 6.5 CM upper then. But still if you are merely testing your ability and not competing with anything but yourself, any caliber will do.

Yeas a 4whlr and favorable terrain could make me interested in Long range shooting. I do think I would go with a 6.5 CM upper then. But still if you are merely testing your ability and not competing with anything but yourself, any caliber will do.

The La Grande Rifle and Pistol club has a 100yd range, a pistol range, and a 300yd range (expanded from 200yd). I don't think I've ever seen a 4whlr on the range, but maybe a hefty electric bike or a small motorcycle would work. They do have benchrest competition, but I know those guys and it's a high $$$ game. Kinda like USPSA became.

If I had access to a private area where I could take 600yd - 1000yd shots it might be interesting... assuming I could see the target with my bad eyesight. At that point, a CM might be acquired for enjoyment of that hobby. Otherwise, and budgetwise, I'll have to stick with my Ruger M77 .308, and my AR15 18.5" Stainless barrel with spiral flute. Right now, I'm just trying to get out there to shoot because the range is still buried in snow!!! :D

I realize that I'll have to retire my Hipster wardrobe and buy a Filson Makinaw coat to own the .308, but the sacrifice is worth it. Thanks to all that contributed to this discussion.

Aha, back to loggersexual! You win a pint of synthetic mix oil for your Stihl 36" bar chainsaw. But the catch is you have to grow your beard and buy some corks/caurks/quarks er whatever.

Once you learn all about LD shooting with .308 come on by... I'll buy the after-shoot adult beverage!! Do I have to own a Tikka to shoot with you??? ;)

Aha, back to loggersexual! You win a pint of synthetic mix oil for your Stihl 36" bar chainsaw. But the catch is you have to grow your beard and buy some corks/caurks/quarks er whatever.

Once you learn all about LD shooting with .308 come on by... I'll buy the after-shoot adult beverage!! Do I have to own a Tikka to shoot with you??? ;)

HUH I never got that invite! If he takes you up on that I'm tagging along! :D

HUH I never got that invite! If he takes you up on that I'm tagging along! :D

Come on down!!!!

If he takes me up on that, I'll have to switch my new 8x32 scope from the .223 to the .308... Wow, I didn't think it would go that way. :confused: Maybe not...

(Edit: I'm not buying Maker's Mark or Crown tho sooooo I guess I could be a cheapskate host!)

I already have .308/7.62x51 weapons so it makes good logistical sense to stay there and ten years ago I would have done just that, but today I'd 6.5 a bolt gun and a gas gun in a heart beat over .308. That said I'd still want something that is end user easy to change out barrels, you can't go wrong with 308, especially @ 600 yards.

Come on down!!!!

If he takes me up on that, I'll have to switch my new 8x32 scope from the .223 to the .308... Wow, I didn't think it would go that way. :confused: Maybe not...

(Edit: I'm not buying Maker's Mark or Crown tho sooooo I guess I could be a cheapskate host!)

If your hosting I will bring the Crown! :)

If your hosting I will bring the Crown! :)

I be hosting! K... you can bring the Clown/Crown (none of that peach Crown my grand-daughter likes, then we'd be Metroshooterals instead of real men!), I'll buy the beer, as long as it's Budweiser... Coors drinkers will be sent packing! That Bend(y) stuff is ok, but then yer back to bringin yer own! :p;):D

I be hosting! K... you can bring the Clown/Crown (none of that peach Crown my grand-daughter likes, then we'd be Metroshooterals instead of real men!), I'll buy the beer, as long as it's Budweiser... Coors drinkers will be sent packing! That Bend(y) stuff is ok, but then yer back to bringin yer own! :p;):D

Whiskey and IPA, none of that Bud stuff for me. :confused::D

Whiskey and IPA, none of that Bud stuff for me. :confused::D

Okay, maybe one sixpack of IPA. And two of Fat Tire. Any other requests? I got room for one more sixer. No Wheat Berry beer. No Stoli, no Goldenslagger. No Tanqueray. Cuervo is ok. How bout some nice Old Overholt Rye? Ha, I haven't seen any for 50yrs!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top