JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My very short list for a 308 would start with the Ruger Gunsite Scout, or preferably the discontinued Scout or Compact. I thought the Ruger's adjustable LOP stock was very ugly, until I saw a Mossberg.:eek:
I have no reason to doubt any quality issues with the Mossberg and someone else may not think the stock looks like a slightly worked over 4x4, but I wouldn't bring one home. The gun is priced well, though, and that may be a very important issue.

If still considering a 308, one shouldn't forget the used guns available. I bought this leftie Savage for my nephew's high school graduation present for $250. I replaced the buttpad and refinished the stock, sold the POS "Sweet 30-06" scope and replaced it with a inexpensive, but better Bushnell and was still into the gun for less than $325. I like working on things so the project was part of the fun and my nephew is very proud of it.
Evans 30-06.jpg

Just today I bought a Remington 700 SPS tactical AAC-SD, will make a great suppressor host when the HPA passes ;)
you are going to love it, I put the magpul stock onto mine and love it.. Shoots half in groups with some hand loads, I do need to get a new set of rings to lower the scope down, but at the same time.. The scope is set in a Larue Tactical QD one piece mount.. Super solid, and I love that I can take the scope off and put it back on with very very little movement if any. Also with a silencerco omega on the front :) Dont wait until HPA passes.. start the process now.

20160101_114827.jpg 20160109_145238.jpg

I went to cabelas yesterday to just look at some of the options you guys were talking about. I also held a really nice savage that was a .338 lapua and a Savage 30-06. Which none of these made my decision any easier. :confused:

I really like the idea of only having one caliber but I may have to work towards owning a couple of these options.

Guess its time for a second job so I can still retire by the time I'm still young enough to walk LOL:D

It comes with time, SKruger! I can remember a time when I could afford one firearm. I had to trade/sell to have a different gun. That truly sucks!
Now I'm having to consider another gun safe, critical mass is achieved! :( On the other hand all of my guns are special, to ME, none are for sale, I have a lot of memories because when I bought them it was a big event! Would I like to go out and get a bunch of new guns? Naaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

Well here she is, in all her naked glory, lol

The best part about guns is having a lot of different calibers, gives you plenty of variety. You just need to start reloading, if you don't already. Not only will you realize the accuracy your guns are capable of, you can keep components on hand to load whatever you want.

IMG_20170303_153451208.jpg

Well here she is, in all her naked glory, lol

The best part about guns is having a lot of different calibers, gives you plenty of variety. You just need to start reloading, if you don't already. Not only will you realize the accuracy your guns are capable of, you can keep components on hand to load whatever you want.

View attachment 346777

Nice!! I like it. Can't wait to see it as you get some components on it.:)

The .308 is a great round.
Works great with 20 inch or longer barrel.
The model 70 Winchester compact would only stretch you budget a little.
Made by fn . that's as good as it gets.
Th...3006

Well I pulled the trigger today so to speak.

I ordered the Tikka T3 varmint in stainless with a threaded bull barrel. I cant wait to shoot this thing it should be a tac driver right out of the box. ;):D:D:D

The verdict is finally in!! Thanks to @Joe13 I made it to the range today to finally break in the Tikka NOT that it needed it.

HOLY CROW is that one amazing firearm right out of the box!!

Joe and I went to the 25yd range to make sure I was on paper. Three shots and we were off to the 50 and 100 yd range. 30 rounds down range for the day and It was consistently hitting quarter sized groups at 100 yards. At 50 yards it was to the point it was one hole :) next time we go we will stretch its legs and see how it does at 200 and 300 yards.

Stay tuned but as of right now it is by far the best bolt action rifle I have ever shot. Thanks for the recommendation @Ura-Ki

The verdict is finally in!! Thanks to @Joe13 I made it to the range today to finally break in the Tikka NOT that it needed it.

HOLY CROW is that one amazing firearm right out of the box!!

Joe and I went to the 25yd range to make sure I was on paper. Three shots and we were off to the 50 and 100 yd range. 30 rounds down range for the day and It was consistently hitting quarter sized groups at 100 yards. At 50 yards it was to the point it was one hole :) next time we go we will stretch its legs and see how it does at 200 and 300 yards.

Stay tuned but as of right now it is by far the best bolt action rifle I have ever shot. Thanks for the recommendation @Ura-Ki

That rifle made it feel like cheating;).

Probably won't buy a rifle until I can afford one of my own it's that nice.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top