JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hmmmm, I think there are many people that have secret outdoor shooting places. Had some myself, but they have been closed down for the usual reason, needed clean up for one!
But right now I am a slave to the indoor shooting range because I can't find any special, secret, and safe outdoor places to shoot! Not to mention somewhere that isn't a 100 mile drive both ways. This summer I plan to go looking, (yeah heard that before). I remember standing in my aunts back yard and shooting shotgun clays and handguns. Now her neighbors "get nervous". Should have them join us, but they probably voted for the current problem.

I'd be happy to go out to sites and clean them up. I am a new gun owner and don't know where any outdoor sites are in my neck of the woods (ok proverbial woods ... if I was in the woods I probably wouldn't be looking for a site but ... I digress). If anyone knows of outdoor ranges near Bothell WA please let me know. I'll check them out and pick up trash while I'm there.

If anyone decidedes to help cleanup the gooseneck road area, I will get the trash disposed of.

If you are able to bag trash, spent shells or anything of any size and pile it next to the road, I will have it picked up. No cost to you for dump fees, just send me a message and it will be gone!

IMG_0017_zps9cf5a4ca.jpg

Not much but every little bit helps.

I haven't posted before, but this a great idea. Is there a list of places around PDX overdue for a clean-up?

By the way, I visit my local recycling center and grab a stack of worn out aluminum frying pans (heavy ones work best). They make great targets and let you know when hit. After I'm done, they go back in the recycling bin.

Well, I'm already a Bronze Member and not looking for anything. I always try to come away with more than I bring in, anyway. But at my local shooting spot I threw a bunch of wood, shot up aerosol paint cans, cardboard, junk and miscellaneous stuff I found into the back of my truck. It eventually filled a 60 gallon trash barrel. All in the dump, and some recycled. Thanks for the idea and incentive sir! No pictures after my last camera gave up the ghost, but I got 'er done.

I did some clean up at the Larch Rock Pit today but I couldn't get very much, someone else had done it recently, I was also stopped a little short by people wanting to start shooting. But even then I only had a grocery bag and had scoured at least half the site. Snow might have been hiding a bunch though. Lol. Maybe next time!

I went to a new shooting area outside the Centralia/Chehalis area managed by DNR on Thursday and shot some, and was pretty surprised at the mess all over the place, especially in shells. Here is the pic of all the trash I picked up- took me about two hours and I probably picked up a couple hundred shotgun shells along with trash, electrical components, and a bunch of other stuff. You don't want to know what people throw away when no one is at the range after dark! It's pretty obvious people shoot stuff they're not supposed to, and it's a bit frustrating as I try to model good behavior whenever I go shooting.

Zeshio Trash.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what I have picked-up and cleaned today at the Gifford Pinchot National Forest along #42, there are more to be cleaned up but I was running solo and was running out of daylight.

If anyone is willing to help out next weekend, I will be heading out there again to test my reloads.

d56a79fd-8b14-448f-9645-4fc72ee48469_zps10caff84.jpg

This is the Canyon Creek Washout. Not included in the pics is the stack of pallets (still 2 more up there that we'll pick up next time) and we couldn't talk the wife into tossing the horse skeleton in the Burb.

The 5 gallon bucket in the middle of the pile has about a half gazillion shotgun wads- definitely the most time consuming item. Sadly, approximately 0% of the shotshells are reloadable due to someone methodically shooting the bases with .22's. sigh

It was already starting to get dark by the time my wife took pics of the trash, and we got 2 more bags and a shot up kitchen cabinet after that.

What's up with folks who shoot bottles and other glass items? Those shards are going to be sharp and in danger of hurting people for a hundred years, it seems to me.

I was griping about the slobs who leave their garbage for others to pick up, and my dear wife had this to say:
"Those fellows probably had full intentions of picking up every scrap, but at the end of their shoot one of them got an emergency call that his wife was going into labor, and he had to rush to the hospital." She says the same kind of thing when someone is driving like a maniac too.

I sure do love her.

We had a good afternoon shooting. Lots and lots of .357 and .22 revolvers, .40 S&W and .380 pistols, AK47, SKS, Mosin Nagant, a few bolt action rifles... We went through almost 4000 rounds and left the place in MUCH better condition than we found it.

Joe et al, this is a great idea to encourage us to police our favorite shooting areas, and it lends a bit of cred to those of us Geezers who have been telling their kids to "fill a trash bag every time you head out in the woods or to shoot."

My boys were most impressed that someone on NWFA actually cared to see that they helped clean up.

RESIZEDDSCN0273.jpg

DSCN0314.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallelujua!!! I was just out at a shooting area just outside of Sandy Oregon and I spent the whole time up on a soap box about the A holes that left all their garbage. I was raised to always leave it better than you found it and I'm glad someone is encouraging this code of conduct.
Semper Fi

I guess I am getting old. I thought that trash was more of a problem on Steelhead Rivers. I got too old and it was tiring to take a backpack for others garbage. That is one of the reasons I quit fishing in Washington. Not to mention the cost, and poor regulations. Doe's anyone know of an open shooting area in Kitsap or Mason county in Washington? I promise I will add three bags to my stuff! :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top