JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bozeb and I went up to the pit on Crooked Finger Rd. today, did some shooting and then some cleanup. I'm already a Bronze Member, can Bozeb have the free membership since he was cleaning up too?

IMG_20121030_162149.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What are your thoughts on a "Wall of Shame"? I came across a pile of trash so big I couldn't haul it all. I took pics and contacted the sheriffs dept and gave them the mail and other personal info they left behind. Idiots. I even stopped by the church they were members of to see if they wanted to handle it amongst themselves.

Would of posted quicker but I've been stuck on the boat...bad reception.

Great little shooting spot on the way to Port Angeles...I need to bring like 15 more bags to clean up all the shotgun debris. I grew up next to Alger, WA close to (Kesselrings Gunshop) and when we went to go shooting up in the mountains the gates were always closed due to garbage being dumped. Keep it clean!

IMG_20121214_124848.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Whenever we go camping or shooting (or just for a walk), my son and I have an ongoing competition to see who can carry out the most trash. Now that he's fully grown (and I keep getting older) he beats me on a regular basis. He's very proud of that, and so am I! I'll have to remember to take the camera next time out.

Erebus
- A dark region of the underworld, through which the dead must pass, on the way to Hades.

I renewed my interest in target shooting last spring and was appalled at the condition of the sites in our area. It baffles me that I can hear complaints from folks that the shooting areas are getting closed off and yet the trashing continues. Unfortunately, it is not a minority of shooter's who leave junk behind. Just last week I had to kindly hint to a solo shooter that glass bottles were not cool to use as targets (I gave him some of my paper targets). I have had hauled several pickup loads of trash since I re-started shooting. I still don't understand the trasher's mindset. Fortunately the Sheriff's Chain Gang also cleans up the sites every few weeks. Two weeks ago the only place to sit and shoot was on a bed of spent shotgun shells. Next time I'm bringing a rake.

I renewed my interest in target shooting last spring and was appalled at the condition of the sites in our area. It baffles me that I can hear complaints from folks that the shooting areas are getting closed off and yet the trashing continues. Unfortunately, it is not a minority of shooter's who leave junk behind. Just last week I had to kindly hint to a solo shooter that glass bottles were not cool to use as targets (I gave him some of my paper targets). I have had hauled several pickup loads of trash since I re-started shooting. I still don't understand the trasher's mindset. Fortunately the Sheriff's Chain Gang also cleans up the sites every few weeks. Two weeks ago the only place to sit and shoot was on a bed of spent shotgun shells. Next time I'm bringing a rake.
Fortunately or unfortunately you stumbled on part of problem. Weather it be shooting spots, camp grounds, parks, beaches, schools, restaurants, bathrooms, etc., the majority of folks don't care. They make a mess and walk off and leave it... Now that majority has taken over the country and that my friend is why we are in the mess we are in.

Fortunately or unfortunately you stumbled on part of problem. Weather it be shooting spots, camp grounds, parks, beaches, schools, restaurants, bathrooms, etc., the majority of folks don't care. They make a mess and walk off and leave it... Now that majority has taken over the country and that my friend is why we are in the mess we are in.

I don't think littering is a political problem nor would I attempt to make blanket statements regarding who is responsible. I do see more Romney and NRA stickers than Obama stickers at the sites but the group I shoot with is a mixed bag of Democrats, Republicans, and Independents and we are all working, side by side, cleaning up. I think we have a malaise in our society that has been brought on by too many choices without any hard decisions. It isn't political, it's a social and economic evolution with which we haven't yet learned to cope or guide. I believe there's a majority of good, hard-working people in America. It's just the proverbial squeaky wheel getting the attention. My advice to myself is to keep on doing my best and maybe it'll rub off on the next guy. Maybe we'll embarrass the violators into cleaning up...

Pass the ammunition and the trash bags.

I don't think littering is a political problem nor would I attempt to make blanket statements regarding who is responsible. I do see more Romney and NRA stickers than Obama stickers at the sites but the group I shoot with is a mixed bag of Democrats, Republicans, and Independents and we are all working, side by side, cleaning up. I think we have a malaise in our society that has been brought on by too many choices without any hard decisions. It isn't political, it's a social and economic evolution with which we haven't yet learned to cope or guide. I believe there's a majority of good, hard-working people in America. It's just the proverbial squeaky wheel getting the attention. My advice to myself is to keep on doing my best and maybe it'll rub off on the next guy. Maybe we'll embarrass the violators into cleaning up...

Pass the ammunition and the trash bags.

I never said it was a political issue. It is the deterioration of society. Weather you voted for Romney, Obama, Paul or Mickey mouse, doesn't negate the fact this deterioration cuts across all society. I pick up trash too, but it is going to take much more than you and I being noticed.
Hold on, it's going to be a bumpy ride...

I never said it was a political issue. It is the deterioration of society. Weather you voted for Romney, Obama, Paul or Mickey mouse, doesn't negate the fact this deterioration cuts across all society. I pick up trash too, but it is going to take much more than you and I being noticed.
Hold on, it's going to be a bumpy ride...

There are many factors that seem to coalesce into an apparent problem.

One thing I have noticed is a reduction in the number of places to shoot. This has been happening over decades due to a number of causes, among them transfer or rezoning of property, increase in residential areas (sprawl) and vandalism/littering.

Another factor is the relative skyrocketing number of new gun owners, all of whom are seeking a place to use their new purchases.

Less space/More users. We are bound to see the dregs of society messing up a good thing for the majority.

I've thought of posting a sign addressed to shooter's and party makers to the effect that freedom to do either activity comes with responsibilities. Pack out your trash. And if you don't pack it out, don't complain if you get locked out. Like the man said, "You're either part of the problem or part of the solution."

I rather expect the sign to get shot to smithereens by "the problem" :O)

There are many factors that seem to coalesce into an apparent problem.

One thing I have noticed is a reduction in the number of places to shoot. This has been happening over decades due to a number of causes, among them transfer or rezoning of property, increase in residential areas (sprawl) and vandalism/littering.

Another factor is the relative skyrocketing number of new gun owners, all of whom are seeking a place to use their new purchases.

Less space/More users. We are bound to see the dregs of society messing up a good thing for the majority.

I've thought of posting a sign addressed to shooter's and party makers to the effect that freedom to do either activity comes with responsibilities. Pack out your trash. And if you don't pack it out, don't complain if you get locked out. Like the man said, "You're either part of the problem or part of the solution."

I rather expect the sign to get shot to smithereens by "the problem" :O)

I'll buy that...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR