JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wasn't sure to whether to post this under the "brass trolls" thread, the thread about people being out of work, or here. So I'm going to bless you all reading this thread with another one of my post. Last night the wife and kids and me loaded up and heading out to one of our favorite logging roads. It was getting close to dusk and we tossed the shotguns in hopes of shooting a few grouse.
Stopped at one shooting spot and found 4 very large fire extinquishers, tags still on them and full of hole. I contacted the fire extinquisher company in Portland in hopes that we can find their rightful owners and hopefully track down the s.o.b's who left them there, along with the satellite dish and television. I'll update when I hear back from them.
Now the good part. About a mile up the road from there we stopped at another spot. I got out in hopes of finding a few pieces of brass. As soon as I saw what I saw I unloaded the wife and kiddos and went to work. There was brass everywhere. We spent about an hour scouring the ground. Kids spent more time picking blackberries than brass. The old ladies OCD kicked in and she wasn't stopping until every last piece was picked up. Finally had to stop when it got too dark to see. When all was said and done we found close to 1000 pieces of brass.
Took it home, counted and sorted it, then posted in online. Within two hours I had it sold and now have an extra $20 in my pocket.

brass.jpg

From the quarry on Mary's Peak. Plenty more where this came from. I don't mind hauling out more than I took in, but walking it back to the car bugs the snot out of me ;). I'd also like to thank Stickjockey for the help. Your turn is next.

0904121734.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK! So today I went up to the usual spot in Tillamook National Forest hoping to get to the one spot where I knew there a bunch of garbage. Unfortunately when I got there, it was already inhabited by shooters. So I quickly decided to move further into the area until I found a nice spot to shoot on an old yarder platform. Initially it didn't look like there was much to pick up, but, "Oh well" I thought, I'm going to police the area anyway. I finished up my target practice, and started loading the bags I brought. I moved into the tall grass around the platform, and that's where all the real garbage was:

I managed in an hour to collect three full kitchen garbage bags, and a big pile of shot up cardboard that someone had thrown down a small ledge in hopes that it wouldn't be seen I guess. It took a bit of huffing to get it up the hill, but I got it all out. Technically speaking, these are the 6th, 7th, and 8th bags of trash I've hauled out of that shooting area since this thread began!

Amazing- this morning I went to the exact same spot I shot at on Wednesday to do some fine tuning of my Ruger for the Appleseed event this weekend. I decided to do a quick walk around just to see if I could get more garbage. I managed to pick up another full kitchen garbage bag full of trash that I had overlooked the first time!

Great job everyone and thank you Northwest Firearms and Joe Link for starting this effort.

I am headed up to Memaloose this afternoon with my son and some of his team mates from the Central Catholic Varsity Football Team to get in some shooting, blow off a little steam after last night's narrow loss to Sheldon and then get them some community service hours (required by the school) by cleaning up any garbage we find at the big pit. Will send some photos after our clean up. I am also going to stop by each group of shooters (if any) and promote the importance of cleaning up after ourselves and others to preserve our access to outdoor shooting areas. I will also pass on the good word about NorthwestFirearms.com and the bronze membership for 3 bags effort.

I've been cleaning up sites around the Woodland area all summer. I didn't know there was anyone giving an incentive for doing it. This is great. Hey how about making a map of the different shooting locations so people know where they can shoot.

going to gibson prairie this weekend for camping and will be hitting a couple other places. if the place is trashed i will clean it and take a picture of what i gathered, even if its not enough to earn the bronze..

awesome idea though :s0155:

If a person shows they try and support and clean up their sport it might make them points with the powers to be.

For years, a few friends & I would go out every spring & clean up our favorite woodland shooting areas. At first it started out one, maybe two truck loads :(. After a few years it was two or three with one or two trailers!!!!:mad: So me and one of my friends went to the Forest Service, to see if we could get some vouchers for the local dump, we were denied!:complain: We told them we were willing to do ALL the work, we just wanted to get reimbursed for the dump fees. Again, DENIED!!!! :angry: After that I stopped shooting in the woods. I joined the Oakridge Gun Club. Now, I'm the vise president. I'm still picking up after others, but I find this gig to be a lot more rewording!!!! :s0155:

Again, your doing a great thing Joe. Even the most die hard of men, will throw in the towel if given zero incentive, to do what we all know is rite!:s0155:

I was up with cavemand. There were 7 of us, a group from our church who do an annual "Serve & Shoot" where we do a service project and then play with guns. This was our 4th year with the activity. We decided, with the number of public shooting areas being closed due to trash, that we would pick one of the ranges up Memaloose and clean it up. We chose the one just past and to the left of the big quarry. I wish I would have gotten better before pics, but I'll post some during and after shots below. All in all, 7 guys and 2.5 hours - we filled 22 of the large contractor bags, took out 2 5-gal propane tanks, and about a sheet of plywood worth of treated lumber that had been shot up. We were happy to do it if it helps keep our local ranges open. We were sad to see the range above Stevenson close down (salamander study, right!) and would hate to lose the other spots we currently have access to.

Now the pics:

IMAG0389.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0377.jpg

IMAG0381.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0386-1.jpg

And the glorious, heaven approved, image of the range when we left:

IMAG0393.jpg

Get out there and do some cleaning!

Got the whole family out today to do some cleanning. My little girl was getting so mad at the people who left trash. We had alot of fun and my daughter learned that we need to take care of our shooting areas or we will lose them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top