JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is awesome, @HighlandLofts ! Precisely what we want to see happening on public lands! It is so cool to see you mentoring your grandson and instilling the values you, (we), grew up with. A true sportsman teaching a new generation! Kudo's to you, Mr. Highland!

We couldn't get out this weekend, my grandson had two birthday parties to go to. One on Saturday and one on Sunday for kids he goes to school with.
My sister in law had a good size daycare and needs a bunch of repairs done so worked over there Friday night after work, Saturday and today.
We will get out one day next weekend for sure.
Not sure which day we will go yet, depends on the weather.
I will be back at the daycare Friday night and either Saturday or Sunday.
If Ed (EPS) can make it out shooting on Saturday, I will go to the daycare on Sunday.

Stew Awards

Well deserved Pat!

Pat from Arlington.jpg

We got out late today, we left the house at 5pm and stayed out until 8pm when the bugs started to bite.
I did some shooting with Mason and the time went by really fast. I picked up the area around whete we parked. I did fill ip a five gallon bucket about 3/4s way full of shoutgun hulls.and picked up some brass, about fiften pounds of it. Mostly handgun brass. I did get some 10mm and 44spl brass which I could use.

20190527_200646.jpg 20190527_200810.jpg
That handgun is an old Sheridan 22lr single shot. They only made these for two years. This is the only one I have ever seen.

We have went out a few times since the last report. This weekend can't come fast enough.

June 1st.
Three buckets of shotgun hulls
20190601_111952.jpg

June 9th
Two 5 gallon buckets of steel rifle & pistol cases and a safeway bag of plastic bottles.
20190609_192606.jpg

We were going to go out last weekend but Mason got sick and we couldn't get out.
We will be going again this weekend.

I actually enjoy picking up the old shotgun hulls & the steel rifle & pistol cases. It represents hours & hours of shooting entertainment by others. A couple of hours spent picking them up gives my grandson more ammo to shoot by me not shooting during that time at the pit.
Next winter I need to invest into a Hornady progressive press. I have been buying extra dies for it when the time comes.
Time & money.
Waiting to hear back from Ed (EPS) to see if he will be going back out with his gang this Saturday.
My grandkids are done with school today, i might take them up to the pit tomorrow morning for a little bit then take them to the river to play. Have to see what comes up.

I took my grandson out shooting today for his birthday. Eight years old today.

20190621_144520.jpg

He shot my 357 GP100N his 22lr Savage Rascle and his Ithaca model 66 - 410 shotgun.
We picked up two more 5 gallon buckets of steel rifle & pistol cases and a turd load of nails. Also about 1/3 feed bag of aluminum cans for him to sell to the recycle yard..

20190621_153229.jpg

Afterwards I took him and his sister to the river to play, that didn't last to long, we were high up in the mountains and the water is really cold up that high.

20190621_155753.jpg

Last Edited:
We hit it again today, we left the house at 7;30 this morning and got home a little after 3;30 this afternoon.

He shot my 20 gauge Stevens double barrel shot gun and Ed's 20 gauge semi auto.

20190622_085032.jpg

We picked up four - 5 gallon buckets of steel rifle & pistol cases and a three gallon bucket of shotgun hulls.

20190622_135657.jpg

I need to run them cases to the transfer station tomorrow. I think I might weigh them before I dump them to get an average weight per bucket.

I took Mason shooting late this afternoon. He did great shooting 38spl & 357 mag loaded light. I'm steping up the powder charges, he says it masages his hand.

My long range plan is to get him into compitition shooting.
Sniper in the armed forced.
Sniper in law enforcement.
Or hit man for the Mafia.
Shooting is and will be a gift from me to him.

Thos is off topic so here is what we did to help the envirorment.
20190629_205453.jpg

Three five - gallons of shotgun hulls, a five gallon bucket of steel rifle & pistol cases and five & a half pounds of brass.

20190629_223054.jpg

We went shooting at the Darrington Pit saturday and did a overnight camping trip and shot again all day sunday.
We picked up a feed bag full of garbage at the camp site Saturday evening then picked up another full feed bag of garbage at the shooting pit on sunday along with a feed bag full of aluminum cans to add to Masons can collection to take to the recycle yard.
We also picked up a five gallon bucket of shotgun hulls, a five gallon bucket of steel rifle & pistol cases and about 3/4s of a gallon paint can of brass. Mostly 223 then 9mm.

20190714_180706.jpg

20190714_133717.jpg

20190714_160209.jpg

Spent about an hour and a half cleaning up the Arrowhead Rock Pit this morning after doing some target shooting with my neighbor. I noticed that the Youth Corp had bagged up about five or six white bags and placed them by the roadside awaiting the Larch Mtn Corrections Crew to pick them up. They've already been sitting there for two weeks, and if they are still there the next time I go up, I'll bring those home as well.

Picked up 4+ bags of garbage and brought them home. WIll drop it off at the Transfer Station this weekend. It also looks like someone has been sleeping in their car and dumping their personal garbage on the roadside across from the pit. Very disappointing!

IMG_20190726_111513729_HDR.jpg

Spent about an hour and a half cleaning up the Arrowhead Rock Pit this morning after doing some target shooting with my neighbor. I noticed that the Youth Corp had bagged up about five or six white bags and placed them by the roadside awaiting the Larch Mtn Corrections Crew to pick them up. They've already been sitting there for two weeks, and if they are still there the next time I go up, I'll bring those home as well.

Picked up 4+ bags of garbage and brought them home. WIll drop it off at the Transfer Station this weekend. It also looks like someone has been sleeping in their car and dumping their personal garbage on the roadside across from the pit. Very disappointing!

View attachment 603660
Thank you, Mr. Robert. I'll contact DNR about the youth corps bags and try to get them removed. If we leave them there, they will get opened and recycled as targets! Very good of you to cover the disposal cost of those four bags. Not many do that, yet, it's just what we need to happen from responsible shooters. It shows we value public lands and shooting on public land and we're willing to donate a little time and money to help keep it open.

May I use that photo to post on the Trash No Land Facebook page? I'd like to show an example of what responsible shooters do. (I'll blot out the lic plate).

I had hoped to schedule another group volunteer cleanup this summer but it looks like I'll stick to a couple mini-cleanups like you did. Next year, I'm planning at least a couple big cleanups.

Thanks again,
Bill

Thank you, Mr. Robert. I'll contact DNR about the youth corps bags and try to get them removed. If we leave them there, they will get opened and recycled as targets! Very good of you to cover the disposal cost of those four bags. Not many do that, yet, it's just what we need to happen from responsible shooters. It shows we value public lands and shooting on public land and we're willing to donate a little time and money to help keep it open.

May I use that photo to post on the Trash No Land Facebook page? I'd like to show an example of what responsible shooters do. (I'll blot out the lic plate).

I had hoped to schedule another group volunteer cleanup this summer but it looks like I'll stick to a couple mini-cleanups like you did. Next year, I'm planning at least a couple big cleanups.

Thanks again,
Bill

Yes, you can use the photo for whatever you need. My photo does not show the entire shooting area, so will think of that the next time I am up there and let you know so you can use that photo as necessary..

Thanks for all the great replies everyone, glad to be part of such a supportive community! Here are some pictures of the brass and random rounds I managed to pickup.

Picked up a fair amount of 10MM cases, which I found fairly surprising. 9MM seems to be quite popular, .40cal is another popular choice, .45 making a solid showing, with .380 making a very small showing. For rifle cartridges, .300 blackout is definitely getting popular, an absolute monster load of .223 as usual, with a few .30-06 and .308 cases getting picked up.

I usually collect brass for friends when we shoot together, but I think I am going to start cleaning brass and reloading for my particular needs and then hopefully be able to give away clean brass to other folks who would want it.

View attachment 527465 View attachment 527466

Excellent job!!!! I see you play with your brass too...:p:p:p

Yes, you can use the photo for whatever you need. My photo does not show the entire shooting area, so will think of that the next time I am up there and let you know so you can use that photo as necessary..
It be done. If you are on Facebook, here's the link to the story...
And here's the script I put in:

Please give Mr. Robert V. a nice show of appreciation for his recent Random Act of Cleanup effort in the Yacolt Burn State Forest.

He spent about an hour and a half cleaning up the Arrowhead Rock Pit this morning after doing some target shooting with a neighbor.

He picked up 4+ bags of garbage, took them home and will drop it off at the Transfer Station this weekend.
This is how responsible shooters do it. Have some fun, yet, show respect for our public lands and have the responsibility to do something about the mess.

Thank you, Mr. V., for the donation of your time and money to help clean up and dispose of other people's trash on public land.
The more this kind of Random Act of Cleanup happens, the better off we all are when shooting on public lands. So we owe Robert a big THANK YOU!!!

#CommitRandomActsOfCleanup, #StewardshipKeepsItOpen, #TrashNoLand.

RobertV.jpg
Thank you again, Robert! (I also sent that note to DNR. An Inmate crew should get it this next week).

It be done. If you are on Facebook, here's the link to the story...
And here's the script I put in:

Please give Mr. Robert V. a nice show of appreciation for his recent Random Act of Cleanup effort in the Yacolt Burn State Forest.

He spent about an hour and a half cleaning up the Arrowhead Rock Pit this morning after doing some target shooting with a neighbor.

He picked up 4+ bags of garbage, took them home and will drop it off at the Transfer Station this weekend.
This is how responsible shooters do it. Have some fun, yet, show respect for our public lands and have the responsibility to do something about the mess.

Thank you, Mr. V., for the donation of your time and money to help clean up and dispose of other people's trash on public land.
The more this kind of Random Act of Cleanup happens, the better off we all are when shooting on public lands. So we owe Robert a big THANK YOU!!!

#CommitRandomActsOfCleanup, #StewardshipKeepsItOpen, #TrashNoLand.

Thank you again, Robert! (I also sent that note to DNR. An Inmate crew should get it this next week).

No problem. I drove by there two weeks ago and this is my first time shooting there. It's a good place to shoot if you also respect others who also like this place and want to shoot at the same time.

I met a couple of great guys who came about an hour after our arrival. I appreciated the respect they showed to us and the fact we both honored each other by exercising safe shooting practices (shooting parallel to each other and allowing hot and cold range signals). Not everyone does that. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top