JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You knowledgable folk and you're fancy slinging around of which 'alphabet' frame revolvers are way ahead of me.

I don't have a clue which alphabet frame my SP 101 spurless, DAO .357 Magnum is, do you?
Alas, Smith & Wesson, seem to the the only manufacturer that had "frame" sizes. The smallest frame size for their revolvers was the "J" frame, Next size up was the "K" frame and at the top of the heap was the " N" frame. The size reference was limited to their line of revolvers. The auto loaders were simply referenced by model numbers, although, if you became familiar enough with the way they number them, you could figure out what their ancestors were. Most of the business concerning nomenclature just comes about by either owning or talking with folks about guns. If you spend enough time on this site and you ask questions, you'll find a wealth of information concerning firearms of every kind. You will also read about conspiracy issues, political opinions, sexual innuendo and personal stories about many topics. You may also hear bad things about me, but they're all lies spread by miserable bastards.

OCG,

Thanks for illuminating the revolver alphabet mystery.

And yes, I'm somewhat familiar with the site.

I've heard nothing but very high compliments about you, well mostly...

Depends on the individual.
Some find full power .357 magnum hard to handle, some can shoot it just as if it were loaded with .38 special.
I find for me not much difference between how quick I can shoot a DAO .357 magnum 4" to a DAO 9mm(VP70) accurately. With an accuracy edge to the .357 mag.
I can't shoot .44 mag as quickly accurately, but oddly enough I'm quicker back on target with 240 grain .44 mag than 10mm 180 grain in an semi-auto.(I guess God just made me to be a wheelgun guy)

Still meaning to try some larger cal revolvers sometime in the future not sure where to start after .44 mag though.

"Alas, Smith & Wesson, seem to the the only manufacturer that had "frame" sizes."

Actually Colt did too, but people aren't as familiar with their nomenclature.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews