JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I was first sworn in as a deputy sheriff, our department would provide you with an old S&W model 10 with a 4" barrel. It was chambered for the .38 special. We could also purchase our own sidearm (at cost) and carry that. I opted for a S&W Model 19 with a 6" barrel. Back in those days, deputies patrolled very rural areas and if gunplay were to arise, a longer barrel seemed like an advantage. It later proved to be less so, because my revolver and holster were pushed up under my armpit while driving my patrol car. I quickly purchased a Model 19 with a 4" barrel and was much happier.
We had to qualify every six months, but could use .38 Special wad cutters (target ammo) to do so. As a result, many of us became "Expert" marksman and wore a bar indicating so. Once a year, we had to qualify with the ammunition that we carried on patrol. Almost everyone carried Super Vel ammo and it was pretty hot. Consequently, most of us demonstrated that we were not, in fact, expert marksman. The timed fire events were awful because of our inability to recover sufficiently to get back on target and fire again. All this was done using double action only. Eventually, I mastered .357 Magnum ammo and could hold my own with the other guys. Then S&W came out with the Model 29 .44 magnum! I was able to purchase mine for $129.00. I bought mine with the 8 &3/8" barrel. I just wanted to own one, not carry it. However, there were two deputies that decided to buy the Model 29 with 4" barrels and carry them as duty guns. They are very heavy and if you are chasing someone, chances are the weight will pull your pants down. But I digress. When it came time to qualify with your carry ammunition, 2nd shot recovery was just plain silly! I was teased a lot because I wouldn't carry a .44 Mag, but I was concerned about the reality of 2nd shot recovery. Gunfights start quick and end even quicker. We didn't wear body armor and if you got hit, you bled a lot. I stuck with the .357 Mag through the Model 66. I found it to be a great caliber and I could actually shoot six rounds very quickly and hit what I was shooting at.
Today, I get teased because I shoot several 9MM's. I understand the .40 Cal and the 10MM, but I might get the first round on target, but probably not the rest. Personally, if you can't fire an entire magazine and keep them all in the black, what's the point in carrying it? Just my opinion.

When I was first sworn in as a deputy sheriff, our department would provide you with an old S&W model 10 with a 4" barrel. It was chambered for the .38 special. We could also purchase our own sidearm (at cost) and carry that. I opted for a S&W Model 19 with a 6" barrel. Back in those days, deputies patrolled very rural areas and if gunplay were to arise, a longer barrel seemed like an advantage. It later proved to be less so, because my revolver and holster were pushed up under my armpit while driving my patrol car. I quickly purchased a Model 19 with a 4" barrel and was much happier.
We had to qualify every six months, but could use .38 Special wad cutters (target ammo) to do so. As a result, many of us became "Expert" marksman and wore a bar indicating so. Once a year, we had to qualify with the ammunition that we carried on patrol. Almost everyone carried Super Vel ammo and it was pretty hot. Consequently, most of us demonstrated that we were not, in fact, expert marksman. The timed fire events were awful because of our inability to recover sufficiently to get back on target and fire again. All this was done using double action only. Eventually, I mastered .357 Magnum ammo and could hold my own with the other guys. Then S&W came out with the Model 29 .44 magnum! I was able to purchase mine for $129.00. I bought mine with the 8 &3/8" barrel. I just wanted to own one, not carry it. However, there were two deputies that decided to buy the Model 29 with 4" barrels and carry them as duty guns. They are very heavy and if you are chasing someone, chances are the weight will pull your pants down. But I digress. When it came time to qualify with your carry ammunition, 2nd shot recovery was just plain silly! I was teased a lot because I wouldn't carry a .44 Mag, but I was concerned about the reality of 2nd shot recovery. Gunfights start quick and end even quicker. We didn't wear body armor and if you got hit, you bled a lot. I stuck with the .357 Mag through the Model 66. I found it to be a great caliber and I could actually shoot six rounds very quickly and hit what I was shooting at.
Today, I get teased because I shoot several 9MM's. I understand the .40 Cal and the 10MM, but I might get the first round on target, but probably not the rest. Personally, if you can't fire an entire magazine and keep them all in the black, what's the point in carrying it? Just my opinion.

I picked up a 4" model 29 forty plus years ago and it has been my daily companion pretty much every single day since I bought it. I actually prefer prefer the heavier "thump" of it's recoil to the quicker "snap" of most 357's. Keeping follow up shots "in the black" while maintaining a fairly rapid rate of fire is just a matter of shooting it enough to learn to control it.

It is not the rounds we fire, the noise or the smoke we make........ it is the hits that count.

I picked up a 4" model 29 forty plus years ago and it has been my daily companion pretty much every single day since I bought it. I actually prefer prefer the heavier "thump" of it's recoil to the quicker "snap" of most 357's. Keeping follow up shots "in the black" while maintaining a fairly rapid rate of fire is just a matter of shooting it enough to learn to control it.
I can't make that claim. You're a better man than I am.

Well I respect any man or woman that has been willing to "protect and to serve" whatever they choose to carry. Thanks for the story and your service...from a relative newbie to guns.

Never had to carry a revolver, I was always issued some sort of semi auto, and with them being mostly double action, I found I needed to concentrate on my draw and that first shot in double action, it took me a while, but once I got it, I took the top scores and qualified marksman!
These days, I carry single action pistols, so the skill set is different, but I still concentrate on the draw and first shot hit accuracy! From there, I run drills to practice follow up shots! I have found the 1911 in 10 mm to be very easy to score with, the recoil impulse doesn't flip the muzzle like .45 ACP does, it hits strait back at you, and while sharper, you don't get the muzzle flip, which makes for very accurate follow ups! I also carry a single action revolver, and have found the size, weight, and recoil make for pretty easy single handed operation, including cycling the hammer each shot! Makes for a very effective pistol, especially as it allows me to keep my second hand free to do what ever I need! I also practice weak hand shooting using the same drills, so that I at least have something to fall back on if i ever need to use them!

I think constant self reflection is important. You have to know what's best for you vs caving to what other people think. A lack of ego can be life saving.

1) Wait until arthritis makes a full size .357 unpleasant to shoot.

2) This thread brings to mind the J-Frame .357s. Is there anybody who can shoot a J-Frame snubbie with full-power .357 loads with acceptable split times for follow up shots?

1) Wait until arthritis makes a full size .357 unpleasant to shoot.

2) This thread brings to mind the J-Frame .357s. Is there anybody who can shoot a J-Frame snubbie with full-power .357 loads with acceptable split times for follow up shots?
I'm not sure that there ever were any "J" framed S&W's chambered for .357 Magnum. I had a Model 36 "Chief's Special" chambered in .38 special and I carried Plus P loads in it. I'll tell you, it was a handful of controlled explosion! The only "snub- nose" I ever owned was a Model 19. It was a "K" frame though.

Know_Your_Limitations.png

I can see nothing wrong with the logic. Afterall.....it's your life.

Spoken by someone......
Limited to what the Dept issued.....6 shot, 4", S&W M15 with 125 grn semi jacketed hollow point +Ps for on duty.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I was halfway through when we upgraded to the S&W 5906.

Well I'll be! I've never seen nor heard of one! That must be a handful when fired.

If you enjoy pain while shooting .357 Magnums in a J frame, then an S&W AirLite 360 PD is for you.
It's like holding an M-8o firecracker in your hand when it goes off.
I couldn't get anyone to shoot it more then two rounds.
It weighed 11.4 ounces.

Seems a J-Frame .357 is like like those pistols in .458 and other monster rifle calibers (except cheaper) that are so powerful as to be useless for any Real World application. Of course, this doesn't apply to .38+P loads.
My choice for a bear stopper sidearm would be a NAA .45-70 with 7 1/2" bbl. and Express sights. Given that I seldom leave the casa I probably won't be needing a handgun for Grizzlies.

You knowledgable folk and you're fancy slinging around of which 'alphabet' frame revolvers are way ahead of me.

I don't have a clue which alphabet frame my SP 101 spurless, DAO .357 Magnum is, do you?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews