JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ain't no lie, baby, buy, buy, buy! ;)

I've seen it mentioned in a number of threads, but thought it might be interesting to hear what people are doing, specifically, to take advantage of this little 'breather' we have in guns, ammo and accessories pricing and availability in the wake of the DT election and the R congress. Gun control, at least on the national level, appears to be on hold, and I'm sure we all know it's only a temporary reprieve - we will be fighting again.

In the meantime, 2017 is offering some pricing and availability we haven't seen in years. And while .22lr hasn't returned back to the glory days in terms of pricing, at least you can find it pretty regularly now.

So, in this window of time, what is your focus? Buy your first AR, AK or other semi-auto rifle? Add some double-stack pistols to the lineup? Stocking up on ammo and magazines?

As for me, I'm focusing mostly on the things I've had a harder time getting the past few years - magazines and ammo. I'm pretty happy with the guns I own and have slowed down adding to the lineup - most I'm interested in now typically don't fall under the target of the anti's anyway, so they'll still be a bit easier to get when the fight ramps up again.

I'm making sure I'm covered with spare mags for my guns - all 'standard' capacity, of course. And ammo, I'm finally starting to feel like I'm catching back up again to a place where I can have some ammo on hand, but still go shooting without worry of depleting the stores.

How about you? Any particular focus of whatever funds you may have, during this time? Are you doing your best to help keep the gun/ammo industry well funded during this time? What's most important to you right now that just about everything is available, and at some nice prices?

Fine tuning and consolidating my collection. Trading or selling away some of the extras. Most importantly investing in training for better usage of pistols and carbines.

My list of upcoming gear acquisitions:
-Complete my Glock mag AR9 (possibly suppressor)
-Acquire a Semi 308 and all the fixins' (possibly suppressor)
-Build a 300BO Pistol (possibly suppressed)
-Additional ammo and mags

Last Edited:
"They" are DEFINITELY going to exact their revenge as soon as the Donald is out. I am taking advantage of the availability right now,and getting rid of collectibles,wallhangers,and safe queens-and replacing them with more 762x39 eaters.
I'm down to 762x39,12 ga,.45,.38,and .22
Anything that doesn't use one of those is gone ,barring a couple of inherited items that I don't need to worry about.
It's the calm before the storm..:confused:

Mostly keeping eyes on the ammo market - buying higher end ammo - not 'bulk' FMJ - but rather expanding ammo in centerfire, and more accurate and expanding (HP) rimfire ammo.

I am mostly okay for firearms, just waiting for DT to finally start delivering the long promised MDR to see if lives up to their promises. Had a lot of family medical and other expenses so not buying just any guns - only ones that would fill a niche in my collection; a chambering I need/etc.

Maybe a few more bolt or lever actions in 5.56 and 7.62, which are less of a target of banners so not so much a priority. Probably a couple more PS90s.

I need to work on optics (learned I have a discount source on Leupold) and other accessories, but I could get by with what I have. Keeping my eyes open for something that is a bargain and/or that I "can't live without" (i.e., that I lust after and/or is too good to let pass).

But mostly ammo. Rimfire is readily available in almost any quantity now - no limits and prices are comparatively reasonable.

Not much we need to stock up on, but am keeping an eye on ammo prices, even though getting into reloading.

The cost/benefit of reloading for 9mm pistol is a wash rite now because of pricing. Particularly when time is taken into account. However it's a skill, and a skill well worth learning. Components if properly stored will last decades.

Haven't started reloading for rifle yet. But can't imagine there's a cost benefit for reloading plinking rounds either at the moment. Just saw 62gr 5.56 aneled brass cased at SGammo the other day at under $.30/round including shipping! Really can't beet that.

Am hoping the overall market will cause component pricing to go down as well. Would like to stock up "very deep" on primers, powders & projectiles.

Maybe get some spare parts on special as well, while pricing is decent. No particular build ideas in mind, so just stuff to have on hand for future needs. Barrels, bolt carrier groups, parts kits etc.

No interest in silencers with the tax stamp system in place. Don't want to setup a trust, so will wait on the hearing protection act. If it doesn't go thru, it doesn't.

Not much we need to stock up on, but am keeping an eye on ammo prices, even though getting into reloading.

The cost/benefit of reloading for 9mm pistol is a wash rite now because of pricing. Particularly when time is taken into account. However it's a skill, and a skill well worth learning. Components if properly stored will last decades.

Haven't started reloading for rifle yet. But can't imagine there's a cost benefit for reloading plinking rounds either at the moment. Just saw 62gr 5.56 aneled brass cased at SGammo the other day at under $.30/round including shipping! Really can't beet that.

Am hoping the overall market will cause component pricing to go down as well. Would like to stock up "very deep" on primers, powders & projectiles.

Maybe get some spare parts on special as well, while pricing is decent. No particular build ideas in mind, so just stuff to have on hand for future needs. Barrels, bolt carrier groups, parts kits etc.

No interest in silencers with the tax stamp system in place. Don't want to setup a trust, so will wait on the hearing protection act. If it doesn't go thru, it doesn't.

That brings up a couple of good points.

First, reloading supplies. They are on my list, in fact, just picked up 1K CCI small pistol primers a month or two ago. I'm also collecting brass as I go. I haven't bought any powder this year, but I'm due to add some more. I've got 6lbs of various pistol powders, but nothing for rifle yet. I did add a .308 die set recently as that's the first rifle round I want to learn to load when the time comes. But yeah, now is a good time to get those things since 2013/2014 especially those things were really hard to come by.

As for the NFA stuff. I'm thinking about doing an SBR next year and buying my first can. Unfortunately, I don't think this R congress gives a flying frack about anything NFA, hearing protection or even CC reciprocity (I know some do, the majority don't). As ineffective as they've been for the first half of 2017, I expect they're going to blow any chance to get some positive pro-gun legislation passed. They have hosed us before, and I expect to be hosed again, unfortunately. So 2018 may be my first tax stamps - one for an SBR, one for a suppressor, probably on a .22 first so I can put together a quiet pest gun at home. I've got a couple of .22's that could host a suppressor at this point.

In 2017 I'm mostly realizing that the parts and stuff for my guns are the same price as they were before. Only one of them will get more expensive. :(

So stocking up on ammo.

There isn't a ton of stuff that I need. It's more of a want at the moment.

Ammo is something that I will always look for and if I find a good deal then I will buy. I would love for accessories to come down in price so that I could add some stuff to my AR's and some of my bolt guns.

When the timing is right probably this winter I would like to put together a couple more AR's and start milling my own lowers. Maybe even do one in 9mm.

Next on the agenda would be reloading and stocking up on parts for the future. But right now I am just running low on time to do those things.

That brings up a couple of good points.

First, reloading supplies. They are on my list, in fact, just picked up 1K CCI small pistol primers a month or two ago. I'm also collecting brass as I go. I haven't bought any powder this year, but I'm due to add some more. I've got 6lbs of various pistol powders, but nothing for rifle yet. I did add a .308 die set recently as that's the first rifle round I want to learn to load when the time comes. But yeah, now is a good time to get those things since 2013/2014 especially those things were really hard to come by.

Yeah, similar to my thoughts, but I'll be learning to reload .223 first, as we plink a whole bunch of them. Then maybe .308, but again, first to learn the proccess.

Learning to work up loads is also on the list, but further down, as we're hardly precision shooters. If we can get to varment size out at 200yards, with repetition we're pretty darned happy.

Precision is on "the list" as well, but after we have the fundamentals ironed out.

I figure if we get into hunting before I start working up loads, it'll be with off the shelf ammunition. Pricier, but there's a whole bunch more to learn than just the shot.

There isn't a ton of stuff that I need. It's more of a want at the moment.

Ammo is something that I will always look for and if I find a good deal then I will buy. I would love for accessories to come down in price so that I could add some stuff to my AR's and some of my bolt guns.

When the timing is right probably this winter I would like to put together a couple more AR's and start milling my own lowers. Maybe even do one in 9mm.

Next on the agenda would be reloading and stocking up on parts for the future. But right now I am just running low on time to do those things.

Speaking of lowers, I do have on my want list the 5D Tactical jig set for both AR15 and AR308. That may have to wait until 2018, but I definitely want it so I can mill my own too, especially down the road when the anti's get some power back - and it's going to happen.

Yeah, similar to my thoughts, but I'll be learning to reload .223 first, as we plink a whole bunch of them. Then maybe .308, but again, first to learn the proccess.

Learning to work up loads is also on the list, but further down, as we're hardly precision shooters. If we can get to varment size out at 200yards, with repetition we're pretty darned happy.

Precision is on "the list" as well, but after we have the fundamentals ironed out.

I figure if we get into hunting before I start working up loads, it'll be with off the shelf ammunition. Pricier, but there's a whole bunch more to learn than just the shot.

Yep, precision is the long term goal/plan, whereas for now, I'm more interested in learning the general loading process for various calibers, then will refine from there.

I don't need any encouragement to buy more firearms and ammo. I barely have 500 rounds through my last purchase and am already dreaming of a .22 mag chambered Ruger American. I need someone to talk me down. I'm running out of things to sell. Addiction is a disease isn't it ? I think meds and disability are in order. :D

I don't need any encouragement to buy more firearms and ammo. I barely have 500 rounds through my last purchase and am already dreaming of a .22 mag chambered Ruger American. I need someone to talk me down. I'm running out of things to sell. Addiction is a disease isn't it ? I think meds and disability are in order. :D

You need encouragement? That Ruger American Rimfire is a great rifle! Had one in .22WMR and .22lr, but got out of .22WMR, so sold it last year. Great bolt guns for the money! How could you pass it up?? :rolleyes:

I mean, no, don't buy it, it's a bad idea ;)

Speaking of lowers, I do have on my want list the 5D Tactical jig set for both AR15 and AR308. That may have to wait until 2018, but I definitely want it so I can mill my own too, especially down the road when the anti's get some power back - and it's going to happen.

I figured if I can start milling my own then I would probably take some of my existing lowers and sell them. Then again maybe I won't.:D

I would really like to own a suppressor for every gun I own as well. But that will be a long and expensive propasition. So by the time my kids inherit my collection they might have them all :(

Lowers - I just saw Anderson somewhere for 34.99 (+$20 FFL transfer on my side)
Pistol/SBR AR uppers
Parts - upper & lower
Magazines - AR & pistol (USGI, Magpul, Hexmag, Factory) and all capacities
AMMO - been waiting it out and now that some good stuff is around .30/rd for 5.56 /
<.18/rd for 9mm / 7.62, .45, .22, ETC (even .300 BO has come down)

Would like to build an AR9.
Would like to find cheap trijicons.
Would like to find a good deal on a FAL. - (saw DSA was under $1000)

Lowers - I just saw Anderson somewhere for 34.99 (+$20 FFL transfer on my side)
Pistol/SBR AR uppers
Parts - upper & lower
Magazines - AR & pistol (USGI, Magpul, Hexmag, Factory) and all capacities
AMMO - been waiting it out and now that some good stuff is around .30/rd for 5.56 /
<.18/rd for 9mm / 7.62, .45, .22, ETC (even .300 BO has come down)

Would like to build an AR9.
Would like to find cheap trijicons
Would like to find a good deal on a FAL - (saw DSA was under $1000)
Primary Arms has Anderson stripped lowers for $29.99...
Sale Name: Sale
Anderson LPK's also $29.99 (my favorite budget LPK)

Last Edited:
You need encouragement? That Ruger American Rimfire is a great rifle! Had one in .22WMR and .22lr, but got out of .22WMR, so sold it last year. Great bolt guns for the money! How could you pass it up?? :rolleyes:

I mean, no, don't buy it, it's a bad idea ;)
I need to start countering your silly Jedi mind tricks. :rolleyes:

That Ruger American Rimfire is okay, but the CZ 512 is more fun to shoot. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews