JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
now i know this topic has been beaten to death for probably a decade or more but i persnally have never been party to a discussion on this topic. pending a trade i may be the new owner of a kimber 1911 type handgun and just for fun thought i would ask; if you are a 1911 guy why? and if you are a polymer guy why? specifically regarding home defense and concealed carry. I'll go first i have more experience with polymer guns and for anyone on a budget it seems polymer is the way to go regarding initial cost and these are the main reasons why i have always used/carried at first a glock 19 and as of late an s&w m&p 9.

yeah i know waitin to see if anyone bothers to have the dead horse debate. me to but hey i had a bad night and se friendy debate sounded like fun so...we'll see i guess haha

umm not sure what the troll thread thing means.. but i completey agree 1911's are gorgeous my first handgun was a springfield ultra compact but it was in 9mm not sure if all the problems with it were due to the 9mm chambering as browning's design was meant for a bigger caliber but ever since i have wanted another 1911 but couldn't shake the first impression combined with the price point on the polymer's. which are generally ugly but go bang.

Ah what the heck. I'll bite. For me it comes down to preference. I'm a 1911 guy and love the pistols trigger, safeties, and ergonomics of it. The feeling of a steel pistol I would think would give anybody a bit of confidence. The only downside for me is the weight. 1911s are heavy for everyday carry. I recently picked up a Springfield lightweight and the extra savings of the alloy frame is noticeable.

As far as poly pistols, ive never been a fan. Yeah they are lighter but you get more felt recoil. Most poly pistols are striker fired and IMO isn't as safe as a pistol with external safeties. I love the way my old XD subcompact felt but sold it because of the lack of a external safety. To easy to have a accidental discharge. Something I couldn't deal with with having kids around.

Some people love their poly pistols and some people love their all steel guns. It all comes down to personal preference. As far as you trade deal, I say go for it. If you don't like it I'm sure you won't have a problem selling the kimber.

1911s are great but require some additional training vs the XD or Glock as you have to incorporate the manipulation of the manual safety when doing your drills. When under stress it is one more thing to have to remember to do. It is entirely a training issue. If you put in the hours and drill developing muscle memory then no problem. If you don't want to have to think about all that and just want to pull the trigger when you want it to go bang then stick to your Glock. Personally I don't think Glocks are any more prone to Negligent discharge than 1911s the grip safety and manual safety are incorporated because of the light single action trigger pull on the 1911. Remember the safety rules about keeping your finger off the trigger until on target and ready to shoot. Again training issue. Training is key no matter what you carry.

Wait!!! Are you saying there is something other then a 1911?????
Shhhhh... calm down gehrheart. The bad man didn't mean to scare you. No, there's nothing but the 1911 and the BHP... and JMB is alive, well and living in a Miami Beach condo. It's OK... walk away from the 'puter and go fondle your favorite 1911. That's a good soldier... g'night, sleep tight.

;)

I have owned a couple of revolvers but only one pistol - an unmodified Colt 1911 Series 80.
I have zero experience with any other pistol, but I find the 1911 to be an very natural pointer.
Nearing 1000 rounds and never even a hiccup with either ball or hollow-point.
I can't say that the 1911 is better than other styles, but I can say that it is pretty darned good.
I guess if I needed something for concealment I would have to look at something other than my big ol' Colt.

the ability to smith the trigger with cheap parts and attain accuracy with custom parts is the main draw for me...

that said my XDM 5.25 with PRP trigger is close in accuracy and trigger feel....

Shhhhh... calm down gehrheart. The bad man didn't mean to scare you. No, there's nothing but the 1911 and the BHP... and JMB is alive, well and living in a Miami Beach condo. It's OK... walk away from the 'puter and go fondle your favorite 1911. That's a good soldier... g'night, sleep tight.

;)

oh! ok... was worried for a moment..

Im going to go stroke and fondle a couple 1911's now.

There's little on the Internet more amusing than people who "forget" to deactivate safeties and who think "polymer pistol" only evokes talk about G thangs.

I like 1911s and I like polymer framed pistols that don't use strikers or two piece trigger doohickeys.

001.jpg
100_0165.jpg
BBQ Guns ARE Sexy! and shoot like a house afire!
HKUSP.jpg
Poly guns are not sexy but hold more go juice!

I love my Glocks,and shoot them more than adequate.And they shoot and handle great.Come to target as they should
And are uglier than sin.

Now a 1911 does all of this and looks very nice.
And my new pro carry II does like every other Kimber I have owned did.
Hit what I pointed it at.
It's stupid to debate which is better. The best gun on Earth is the one that YOU shoot best

As far as poly pistols, ive never been a fan. Most poly pistols are striker fired and IMO isn't as safe as a pistol with external safeties. Too easy to have a accidental discharge. Something I couldn't deal with with having kids around.

If you aren't capable of keeping your finger off the trigger,this is true.
So you don't have any double action revolvers either?
I mean ,it's the same idea.No external safeties,EXCEPT YOUR BRAIN telling your finger to leave the trigger guard

No gun is completely safe if you don't know how to handle it.

1911s are great but require some additional training
You mean like sweeping your thumb down across the hammer safety with a natural movement?
Hmmm,maybe that is muscle memory. Never think about it as additional training.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top