JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was in the same boat as you "poly guy that wants a 1911 to carry". Bought a Kimber, took it to the range, a few times and got used to it. I then started packing it instead of my XDM and it was much more cumbersome compared to the XDM.

Chances are if you get into a gun fight on the street the cops are going to take your gun for who knows how long. If they do then the pretty 1911 is in the hands of the police to do who knows what with. Get in the same fight with the poly gun that cost half the price or less, then who cares when you get it back.

Go to youtube and watch the video 1911's suck by James Yeager. I am not saying they suck but just not a first choice in my opinion. I enjoy shooting 1911's myself but I'll stick to my XDS or G19 for carry purposes.

That's funny, I had a friend in Vegas who had the same issue with regard to to his beautiful custom $2000 1911. He said if he ever had to use it for self defense and then get rid of it in a hurry because the police "just wouldn't understand" and he had to throw it into a lake or something, he would have a really hard time making it leave his hand because he was just so attached to it. But he said he would have no problem chucking a Glock into the pond, because one Glock is as good as another. He had no emotional attachment to the Glock.:s0112:

I knew someone that had there prize 1911 taken by law enforcement and when he did get it back, it was hammered and dirty.

Let them have the Glock or what ever other plastic pistol, they are cheap and easy to come by. The poly guns typically go bang everytime but may not offer the safety of the 1911 but then again the best safety is YOUR FINGER, NOT THE GUN. It's your responsibilty to keep it away from unsay children. Get the 1911 for play time and the poly gun for carry.

1911 triggers are as good as it gets. I love how they feel in my hand, and I love how effortless it is to shoot accurately with them. They obviosly pack a serious punch, and 10 round extended mags give you a respectable amount of that heavy hitting .45. In the lower price points, a Rock Island Armory 1911a1 can be had for very little money, and it'll serve you very well.

Having said that, I'm generally a polymer pistol guy. My favorite handgun is a Walher PPQ 9mm (full of Speer Gold Dot 9mm 147gr).

I don't worry about negligent discharge, because I am very disciplined with firearms safety, and I don't stick weapons in my pants without a holster (because duh. A basic IWB holster can be had for $12).

I've had guns since the late 50's. Just bought my first Kimber, an ultra Crimson Carry II, haven't even had time to get to the range yet. My Crossbreed holster came in today for it. May hove to save for a Pro Crimson Carry II next.

Some years ago I did put money down on a 1911 at a pawn shop, but was going through a divorce at the time and just couldn't break the money loose to pay it off.

Chances are if you get into a gun fight on the street the cops are going to take your gun for who knows how long. If they do then the pretty 1911 is in the hands of the police to do who knows what with. Get in the same fight with the poly gun that cost half the price or less, then who cares when you get it back.

That is my worry too, and exactly why I have two or three of each of my carry guns. They take one for evidence, I have another. With a Kimber I might not have two or three of them in the safe!

There are many good 1911s out there that cost about the same if not less than poly pistols. Not everybody carries a $1000+ 1911 daily.

And by the small chance that you didn't get your pistol back I would rather have my steel 1911 get melted down into something other than Tupperware.

I really don't care what they melt my pistol into
My point is that I am not can lose a 500-600 dollar gun but losing a 1911 that I had to dump another 3-400 into just to make it dependable enough to trust my life with, pass. The 1911 can be my play toy for the range. Plus the poly gun typically gan 2-3X the ammount of ammo.

I love my Glocks,and shoot them more than adequate.And they shoot and handle great.Come to target as they should
And are uglier than sin.

Now a 1911 does all of this and looks very nice.
And my new pro carry II does like every other Kimber I have owned did.
Hit what I pointed it at.
It's stupid to debate which is better. The best gun on Earth is the one that YOU shoot best

Perfect!

I really don't care what they melt my pistol into
My point is that I am not can lose a 500-600 dollar gun but losing a 1911 that I had to dump another 3-400 into just to make it dependable enough to trust my life with, pass. The 1911 can be my play toy for the range. Plus the poly gun typically gan 2-3X the ammount of ammo.

Why is it that people think they have to dump money into a gun to make it reliable? The guns coming out these days are more reliable than ever. This isn't the days of when there were only two pistol manufactures.....

Unfortunately, such is not the case with 1911s and other traditionally manufactured (milling, forging, etc.) firearms. Injection molded pistols are simply cheaper to make, this fact has forced other manufactures to trim costs with MIM parts, poor QC, etc, plus the shear number on different manufactures with there own set of specs has hurt the reliability of once great pistols.

I can see this maybe a couple years ago but those problems have been worked out. There are plenty of low prices steel frames guns that have no problems at all. With the MIM process being used on guns these days they seem to be doing just fine. Sure your gonna have breakages, as with anything, it's a machine.

I believe that all the hype about "building" a good gun comes from over-anal 1911 owners Trying to compare guns built 30-40-50+ years ago to today's guns. Just no comparison whatever gun it is.

I will say that I had a Taurus pt1911 and it was a good gun. It had MIM parts all over it yet I didn't have a single problem with it. Never a failure, never a jam, and it ate any ammo I fed it. Kinda suprising being that Taurus is regarded as junk to alot of people.

I don't know where y'all are getting your 1911s but all but one 1911 I have had, I would bet my life on. Without any work done to them.
The only one was a Citadel and it was replaced by citadel with one that worked perfectly.
Then it turned into a Kimber.
I can't believe that the 1911 platform has survived for so long with everyone using them getting work done to them to make them reliable.

Another thing I don't understand.Why would you worry more about loosing a gun than your personal safety?
I have read this on many forums.People that will carry a lesser gun to make sure that if they need it,they wont lose an expensive gun.
Do you actually shoot the lesser gun as good as your expensive gun?
Is the lesser gun as reliable?

I'll always choose the gun I shoot the best and worry about the rest if I'm still alive after the altercation.
But that's just me...YMMV

I don't know where y'all are getting your 1911s but all but one 1911 I have had, I would bet my life on. Without any work done to them.
The only one was a Citadel and it was replaced by citadel with one that worked perfectly.
Then it turned into a Kimber.
I can't believe that the 1911 platform has survived for so long with everyone using them getting work done to them to make them reliable.

Another thing I don't understand.Why would you worry more about loosing a gun than your personal safety?
I have read this on many forums.People that will carry a lesser gun to make sure that if they need it,they wont lose an expensive gun.
Do you actually shoot the lesser gun as good as your expensive gun?
Is the lesser gun as reliable?

I'll always choose the gun I shoot the best and worry about the rest if I'm still alive after the altercation.
But that's just me...YMMV

There is a big difference between my travel pistol (outside of 30mins) from my house/zone (what I've deemes my battle pistol) which is full sized and my cc pistol. Most ultra compact pistols are not in any way "range" or combat pistols and wouldn't hold up anyhow after s amounts of rounds though the pipe. Thus my CC pistol is a light and compact weapon. It's foolish to buy into the over priced SC-CC weapon hype and over pay for a firearm where half the materials are even present. People are essentially paying for half a gun with these "brand name" CC pistols. I won't be fighting zombies with my CC, just shooting the jackwagon trying to assault my family or I, in many cases less than 10 rounds if even that. A kahr, keltec, bersa, wheel guns among others are all in the 200-400 range and very reliable. Even a highpoint will get the job done. I'd talk trash about their 9mm but it'sproved me wrong more than a few times so I'd trust my life with it.

Its one thing to go out and test (play) with something and have it fail time after time even after the mag and ammo issues were addressed and its another to believe internet and gun store parroting. Not insinuating that you've done the ladder, just validating my point.

Reliable 1911s can be had for poly money. Rock Island Armory 1911a1 FS comes in below $500. Great trigger, glass smooth action.

Again, I'm a poly guy, but that's because of preference.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top