JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regardless of what I do I keep coming back to my 1911 when it comes to what I like for a 'favorite' semi to shoot.
I was out yesterday and even though I was rifle shooting I brought about 30 rounds to run through it and it comes down to 'fit' for me (both in hand and carry) and the incredible trigger my 1991-A1 has. I like my CZ 75 but reality is I don't like the long takeup and creep (on any gun) not just the CZ.
Ok SO I want (need) better sights on my 1991 however I do NOT want to get a set with a stake on front and I would like a flattop and in stainless steel.
SO - I am thinking of finding a different slide with a dovetail front and have been scrounging Ebay for them but a decent slide is a couple hundred bucks, add a set of good sights and I'll have 3-350 in a new slide setup.
OR - should I just look for a 'better' 1911.

Get a new gun;).

Here is what a couple old Springfield's look like cut.
Alexx - do me a favor and take and post a pic of the muzzle end of your springer. It appears to have more 'meat' on the slide than on my 1991.
Just this morning I laid a dovetail plug on top of the slide and looked at the front of it and it appears there is not enough material as the bottom of dovetail portion of the plug basically extended to the top of the barrel bushing.
It appears if it were cut the top of the slide would be very thin at this location.

The slide on your Colt have the same dimensions as any other Colt Series 80 round top Colt slide, and dovetails have been cut on them not long after they came into production around 1983-84 with no problems.

My DW CCO had enough material for a front sight dovetail.

DSCN3143.JPG DSCN3144.JPG DSCN3145.JPG

Alexx - do me a favor and take and post a pic of the muzzle end of your springer. It appears to have more 'meat' on the slide than on my 1991.
Just this morning I laid a dovetail plug on top of the slide and looked at the front of it and it appears there is not enough material as the bottom of dovetail portion of the plug basically extended to the top of the barrel bushing.
It appears if it were cut the top of the slide would be very thin at this location.
This may give you some perspective. First pic (the one with front serrations) is the Loaded, comes factory with dovetail front, second is the older one the custom shop did for me that came with a staked in front originally.

1911 Muzzle.jpg 1911 Muzzle-1.jpg

Ok - so, from the TOP of my bushing to the top of the slide I measure exactly 1/8" - However if you look closely there is a slight 'flat' at the top which is a little longer than 3/8 " however if the cut were made with the rear of it indexing on the REAR portion of the 'flat' this might work.
IMG_1234[1].JPG
IMG_1238[1].JPG

Ok - so, from the TOP of my bushing to the top of the slide I measure exactly 1/8" - However if you look closely there is a slight 'flat' at the top which is a little longer than 3/8 " however if the cut were made with the rear of it indexing on the REAR portion of the 'flat' this might work.
View attachment 509272
View attachment 509273

Looks just like the slide on my "Loaded" . Easy way if, and that's the big if, you really want to do this, ask a Smith. There is at least one here who many give great reviews, Veslie (I am probably spelling his name wrong) who I think is in OR. Been hoping he would see this thread and chime in. Find him and drop him a line. I have heard enough good about him I would trust his word on it if I wanted to do this to the 1911, and it was mine. If you decide you want to do it and there is not a Smith local to you I would ask him price. Since you can just mail the slide to him and he can mail it back. Again assuming you decide you want to do this.

The book by Jerry Kuhnhausen is a must for learning the 1911. I'd previously had some help by a 1911 guru that used to moderate this forum, and there's not much better help than someone talking you thru things, but this book would have been able to get me to where I needed to go.
I bought the first copy I found and encourage anyone serious about the 1911 to get one for themselves.

The book by Jerry Kuhnhausen is a must for learning the 1911. I'd previously had some help by a 1911 guru that used to moderate this forum, and there's not much better help than someone talking you thru things, but this book would have been able to get me to where I needed to go.
I bought the first copy I found and encourage anyone serious about the 1911 to get one for themselves.

Who was the guru?

I am he...one and the same...ya know the one with the laughing horse avatar....

I guess I should sign in more often under that name.

Got the firearms instruction thing going along with the 'smith thing.

Just got done with the 1911 Armorer / Operator class this last weekend. There's a review about in the education area.

Anyway, been to both Colt armorer and various 1911 'smith schools. Trained under Richard Neimer, he was a gunsmith for Detonics in Seattle from the 80's until it closed. Then he was the Chief smith for Olympic / Safari Arms until his untimely passing a few years ago.

I'm still here, just under the biz name now. Still available to help any way I can.

Orygun...I signed in just for you!
Fudge Factory! @wichaka , You just made my day! Thanks! I'll never forget when you talked me thru a problem. @SKrueger , no offense to anyone else, this is the guy to talk to. K?
wichaka, I'd wondered where you went and I'm so glad you're still around. Your knowledge is invaluable around here. Some day we'll need to meet up. Thanks again.

Fudge Factory! @wichaka , You just made my day! Thanks! I'll never forget when you talked me thru a problem. @SKrueger , no offense to anyone else, this is the guy to talk to. K?
wichaka, I'd wondered where you went and I'm so glad you're still around. Your knowledge is invaluable around here. Some day we'll need to meet up. Thanks again.

Was firearms instructing for the state, traveling some, just wasn't on here as much as this place needed, so gave up the moderator position.

Retired now, started the firearms training biz, with the 'smith thing on the side.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread.

RVTECH, trust me there's more than enough meat on top for a dovetail cut. One of the industry standard cuts is Novak, as just about every sight maker has a model to fit.

A front Novak dovetail cut depth is .075-090" depending on the sight you choose, which leaves plenty of meat left over. So fear not...if you you're attached to your 1991, put a good set of dovetailed sights on it and live life happy ever after.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads