JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a big job at all to cut a dovetail. If you really like the 1911 you have see what a Smith wants to cut it.
And I might simply just do this. Really this 1911 I have is literally the 'best' one I have ever owned (of all Colts - some pretty bad with cycling issues, accuracy etc) but this 1991 will literally 'do' 1.5" groups rested with good reloads so no real issues - just sights.

I am pretty well 'fixed' for protection.
I shoot a lot and sticking with easily obtainable brass is part of what allows me to do this.

Then the 9mm would be great. For fun shooting it's hard to beat. Factory ammo is so cheap now I no longer bother to roll it. I do of course keep plenty of brass just in case there is another panic, which will happen. For now though I buy it by the case for fun. Save as much brass as I can easily save but only to give away. For fun cheap shooting in a 1911? By all means get you one in 9mm.

And I might simply just do this. Really this 1911 I have is literally the 'best' one I have ever owned (of all Colts - some pretty bad with cycling issues, accuracy etc) but this 1991 will literally 'do' 1.5" groups rested with good reloads so no real issues - just sights.
Then by all means why not just cut the slide. If there is not a Smith local to you, just pick one you like and you can send him your slide. He can cut it and just mail it back to you. Hear great things about the one guy who is a member here. PM him and ask for a price. Sounds like you have a great pistol, just make it a little better :)

Why get rid of a perfectly good 1911 when all you really want is a slide cut to accept better sights? Assuming it's a .45, that's not a bad way to go for Old School defensive shooting, just pick the ammo that works best and your GTG!
Or, you could pick up another in 9mm with the options YOU want and call it good! :)

Why get rid of a perfectly good 1911 when all you really want is a slide cut to accept better sights?
Actually I would NOT have gotten rid of this one if I had got another but the slide cut is really all I need done to install new sights - which is what I REALLY want. A SS one would be nice but maybe the 9mm I MIGHT look for will be in SS!

Sarco has complete "Top Ends" in many different flavors and finishes, a really good way to get a different caliber with out doing an entire new pistol! They also have builders kits that have every thing you need minus the frame if you wanted to build one of your dreams, especially nice for new builders, all you have to do is fit the slide to the frame and your good! Then there is the 80% frames, while more work, it allows for even more options!:)

What is the pistol primarily used for? Bullseye, Competition, or Self Defense? Combination?

If sights is all you're wanting, then have the slide done as mentioned in earlier posts...a lot cheaper than a whole new gun.

I may have missed it...whats the make/model of this current 1911 of which you speak?

Last Edited:
Does your 1991 A1 have a beaver tail grip safety. It sure makes it a more comfortable shooter.:rolleyes:
I have modified 3-Colt 1911s with beavertail grip safety's. :eek::eek: In hind sight wish I had not.
Buy a new 1911 with all the features you want.:p Putting a crisp 3.5 pound trigger on a 1911
is basic gunsmith task.;) I have done trigger work on many 1911s by a fitting the sear,
hammer hooks stoned, and change main spring. Learn to do it yourself or pay a gunsmith
to do trigger work on your new 1911. Cylinder and slide sell excellent drop in trigger kits.
I like the new SA Range Officer or Ruger 1911s. No series 80 trigger parts to increase
trigger pull.;)
1911 Style True Drop In Trigger Pull Sets 5 Piece - Cylinder & Slide - Handguns parts and accessories

p_924800245_1.jpg

What is the pistol primarily used for? Bullseye, Competition, or Self Defense? Combination?
Field shooting, informal range and lots of pine cone killing! and typically it is ONE of my OC guns when in the woods.
I may have missed it...whats the make/model of this current 1911 of which you speak?
1st gen Colt 1991-A1 - which is the only reason I am 'on the fence' about having it cut. And I am not so sure there is enough material on the 'round top' to even cut a dovetail and leave enough for proper strength.

1st gen Colt 1991-A1 - which is the only reason I am 'on the fence' about having it cut. And I am not so sure there is enough material on the 'round top' to even cut a dovetail and leave enough for proper strength.

My 1911 is a round top slide and it's got a dovetail cut for the front sight. (I don't like flat tops)

Field shooting, informal range and lots of pine cone killing! and typically it is ONE of my OC guns when in the woods.

Don't cut that one... you'll probably regret doing that, eventually. Either get a new slide the way you want it, or get another 1911 and cut it as needed. ;)

Don't cut that one... you'll probably regret doing that, eventually. Either get a new slide the way you want it,
Probably won't - i don't think there is enough material on it anyway. i didn't measure it but it's fairly obvious. Back to 'square one'.

There's more than enough material to dovetail cut the front sight, and if wanted...a Novak cut for the rear sight.

A Novak cut is pretty much a standard rear sight cut, and most every sight maker makes a model to fit.

Do you what your needs dictate. A 1991 model isn't a high sought after collector piece, and fitting a slide to that frame is very easy...but you'll need one cut for the firing pin safety.

?? Not a Smith but I have never heard of a 1911 Slide that could not be dovetailed. I know the 91 series was Colt's attempt to make a more "budget friendly" 1911 but I would be shocked if they made the slide so thin it could not take a dovetail just to save a few dollars. Any real Smith could of course tell you. Here is what a couple old Springfield's look like cut. The first one was factory on a "Loaded" model. Second one is an older one bought over 20 years ago that was done at their custom shop when I had them put night sights on it. This should give you a good idea of what it looks like done by a Smith.

1911 front.jpg 1911 Front-2.jpg

Based on what you're saying, if it were me I'd be looking for something like a stainless Springfield TRP in 9mm on the used market. There was one up on here for $750 about six weeks ago and they're about the best production 1911 going. If you had a few hundred more in the budget, then you can probably get into a Dan Wesson—tons of options in 9, and the stainless go for a few hundred less normally.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top