JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Regardless of what I do I keep coming back to my 1911 when it comes to what I like for a 'favorite' semi to shoot.
I was out yesterday and even though I was rifle shooting I brought about 30 rounds to run through it and it comes down to 'fit' for me (both in hand and carry) and the incredible trigger my 1991-A1 has. I like my CZ 75 but reality is I don't like the long takeup and creep (on any gun) not just the CZ.
Ok SO I want (need) better sights on my 1991 however I do NOT want to get a set with a stake on front and I would like a flattop and in stainless steel.
SO - I am thinking of finding a different slide with a dovetail front and have been scrounging Ebay for them but a decent slide is a couple hundred bucks, add a set of good sights and I'll have 3-350 in a new slide setup.
OR - should I just look for a 'better' 1911.

The slide you buy will need to be fitted as well, so there is some more cost there also...
Get another one!
Look at the Sig 1911's if you want a flat top stainless.

The slide you buy will need to be fitted as well, so there is some more cost there also...
I would do this myself so no cost - BUT taking everything into consideration my point is I want to 'step up' here - so that mostly likely means something different.

I have the same pistol, and also had an issue with the sights, or more specifically, the front sight, I had trouble picking it up. I went cheap and just painted the front sight with fluorescent orange paint, made all the difference in the world. That said, I'm not especially attached to the 1911 platform, I'm trying to trade mine for a CZ 97 BD, so wasn't interested in putting a lot of money into it. It's just the opposite for me, I love the trigger in my CZ P-07, and am hoping the trigger in the PCR I have on the way is at least close to as good. Later.

Dave

Buy a different gun.
If nothing else, it's a good excuse.
I've owned a bunch of 1911s, 3 1/2", 4 1/4" and 5", and a double stack. They all had something that made them unique from the others. It was a fantastic way to decide what would make up my ideal 1911.

I have the same pistol, and also had an issue with the sights, or more specifically, the front sight,
Yea I modified the sights on mine by 'three dotting' them and that made a world of difference with the rear dots filled white and the front red.
NOW - to throw a 'monkey wrench' in the mix I said I really like my CZ 75 except for the trigger. If I could get a CZ with a trigger similar to my 1911 (ya know, clean, crisp, no takeup etc) I would probably go that route also as I DO also like to shoot 9mm but It would need to have a trigger similar to my 1911.
I think this it what it REALLY comes down to - is trigger quality. Oh I like the 1911 but if I could find a 9mm with a trigger that equates to my 1911 I would be a very happy as well.

NOW - to throw a 'monkey wrench' in the mix I said I really like my CZ 75 except for the trigger. If I could get a CZ with a trigger similar to my 1911 (ya know, clean, crisp, no takeup etc) I would probably go that route also as I DO also like to shoot 9mm but It would need to have a trigger similar to my 1911.

The single action only triggers on the Tanfoglio's are MUCH better than the single/double action of the CZ's. they're still not the "Glass Break" feel of a 1911 though. Real easy to get used to. I can shoot my Tanfo Elite Limited better than my Kimber 1911.

The single action only triggers on the Tanfoglio's are MUCH better than the single/double action of the CZ's.
I did notice a very nice CZ 75 B show up at a local PS when I was browsing the other day.
I may go back and look at it. If the trigger is to my liking (or can be improved with minor work) I may just take it and put my BD up for sale.

I think this it what it REALLY comes down to - is trigger quality. Oh I like the 1911 but if I could find a 9mm with a trigger that equates to my 1911 I would be a very happy as well.

Oh, come on! You just answered all of your own questions. Buy a 1911 in 9mm. It's not a new concept, ya know?;)

Buy a 1911 in 9mm. It's not a new concept, ya know?
And that MAY be what it comes down to. I purposely left that element out but it has been part of the equation.
Actually I ALMOST bought a new 1991-A1 in 9mm a couple years ago when Sportsman's Warehouse was still a Colt dealer.

A 38 Super would be very cool. A 9mm is not as "cool", but certainly is more practical and these days is a viable option. I load my own most of the time, but when I see the prices on 9mm ammo, I get a bit envious.

I see that Ruger makes a 5" 9mm Target.

A 38 Super would be very cool. A 9mm is not as "cool", but certainly is more practical and these days is a viable option. I load my own most of the time, but when I see the prices on 9mm ammo, I get a bit envious.

I see that Ruger makes a 5" 9mm Target.

.38 Super is Old school cool.
But now days you can get better performance in a 9mm frame gun with .357 sig.

A 38 Super would be very cool.
I Once considered one but lack of brass was the caveat.
Brass loss IS a reality for me with some of my shooting 'sports' and there is virtually NO .38 Super left on the ground. Heck I recently picked up several hundred 9mm at a spot near my house and have LOTS on hand.

I Once considered one but lack of brass was the caveat.
Brass loss IS a reality for me with some of my shooting 'sports' and there is virtually NO .38 Super left on the ground. Heck I recently picked up several hundred 9mm at a spot near my house and have LOTS on hand.

No kidding. Even finding new ammo to turn into brass isn't easy. The option of NOT handloading is a nice one to have.

Regardless of what I do I keep coming back to my 1911 when it comes to what I like for a 'favorite' semi to shoot.
I was out yesterday and even though I was rifle shooting I brought about 30 rounds to run through it and it comes down to 'fit' for me (both in hand and carry) and the incredible trigger my 1991-A1 has. I like my CZ 75 but reality is I don't like the long takeup and creep (on any gun) not just the CZ.
Ok SO I want (need) better sights on my 1991 however I do NOT want to get a set with a stake on front and I would like a flattop and in stainless steel.
SO - I am thinking of finding a different slide with a dovetail front and have been scrounging Ebay for them but a decent slide is a couple hundred bucks, add a set of good sights and I'll have 3-350 in a new slide setup.
OR - should I just look for a 'better' 1911.

Not a big job at all to cut a dovetail. If you really like the 1911 you have see what a Smith wants to cut it. One of my older 1911's was done like this. I wanted a set of night sights so paid a little extra to have the shop cut it at the same time.
If you have no particular "like" for the one you have then nothing wrong with having another of course. I am such a fan of the platform I can't help but look hard at them every time I see one. You missed the really big deals right after the last election but prices are still quite soft on guns right now. If gun owners shoot themselves in the foot again this election cycle price may climb a little.
Now as for "better" 1911, other than a dovetail lacking on yours is there anything else you want in the bells and whistles? Assuming it's 100% with ammo you want and you like the trigger, you have a great one. So unless there is more you want how much to just upgrade the one you have? If there is more you want, well no better time, there is such a large field of choices right now. I would keep the one you have though unless you really need to sell to budget another. Always nice to have at least one spare 1911. I keep a few around so I can always grab at least one if there is a fire. Wife, Dogs, and at least 1 1911 have to be saved. :)

And that MAY be what it comes down to. I purposely left that element out but it has been part of the equation.
Actually I ALMOST bought a new 1991-A1 in 9mm a couple years ago when Sportsman's Warehouse was still a Colt dealer.

If you like the 9x19 by all means. If you want it for protection though I would look hard at one in 10mm. The round has been gaining a lot last few years to the point there is plenty of ammo now. Still more expensive by quite a bit compared to 9mm but you can still easily buy it by the case for practice and gathering brass.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews