JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regardless of what I do I keep coming back to my 1911 when it comes to what I like for a 'favorite' semi to shoot.
I was out yesterday and even though I was rifle shooting I brought about 30 rounds to run through it and it comes down to 'fit' for me (both in hand and carry) and the incredible trigger my 1991-A1 has. I like my CZ 75 but reality is I don't like the long takeup and creep (on any gun) not just the CZ.
Ok SO I want (need) better sights on my 1991 however I do NOT want to get a set with a stake on front and I would like a flattop and in stainless steel.
SO - I am thinking of finding a different slide with a dovetail front and have been scrounging Ebay for them but a decent slide is a couple hundred bucks, add a set of good sights and I'll have 3-350 in a new slide setup.
OR - should I just look for a 'better' 1911.

It might be better to sell and buy a model with the features you need. Unless of course you can do the work yourself. It also lowers value doing non OEM add on's unless the manufacturer does the work in their pro shop. Just my 2C.

RVTECH, trust me there's more than enough meat on top for a dovetail cut. One of the industry standard cuts is Novak, as just about every sight maker has a model to fit.
Hey thanks for the input and help.
I think what I am going to do is leave the slide as is and install a new set of sights.
I have been researching staking a front sight without the prescribed tool and with a little setup and care it can be done and I am very capable of doing it. I read a post on another forum about shaping the tip of a punch slightly to facilitate the staking and it looks like it will work well.

It's not hard to do, it's all in the prep.

Use a small 1/8" ball grinder in a dremel and on the inside of the slide, grind out the old stake just below the surface, then punch it out.

Take the same bit and make a small bevel around the rim of the stake hole on the inside. This is to allow the staked material to flow into and give a sold grip. Clean with alcohol.

Test fit your sight...Place red loctite on the stake portion of the sight, place it in the hole, and stake away. Let it set, then remove excess so the barrel bushing will fit.

Before you buy your sight make sure you get the proper tenon size to fit the stake hole. It will be either large or small...I can't recall the size for your slide.

Happy shooting...

You are nearly verbatim of one of the posts I read.
I assume however the sight should be 'blocked' though so when staking it does not get knocked out of the slide. No one mentions this however but it obviously needs to be done.

I put the slide in a machinist vice, as it has a solid base for the sight to contact. I put a piece of leather, or a few pieces of heavy card stock between the sight and the base so it doesn't get damaged or scratched...then stake away.

I put the slide in a machinist vice, as it has a solid base for the sight to contact. I put a piece of leather, or a few pieces of heavy card stock between the sight and the base so it doesn't get damaged or scratched...then stake away.
Basically about what I had in mind - maybe cut a wood block to fill the gap between the base, leather & sight to get it to support it solidly but all the same.

Just go and get a Ruger 1911 in 9mm,
This is a very REAL possibility. The potential trigger quality and accuracy of a good 1911 cannot be argued. I hear many speak of how this or that gun has a good trigger etc. and some do - but then many DO NOT. A friend of mine has a Beretta INOX with a great trigger. And my once owned IMI Baby Eagle had a FANTASTIC trigger (after the standard takeup 'decocker' style guns have) but it was excellent.
I have simply came to a point where I want the best accuracy in a gun I can get. When I am on a murder/death/kill mission for pinecones I want to set the sights on one and expect it to go flying most rounds out of a mag! I can do this now with My 1991-A1 .45 and with better sights even more so but in reality its not too bad with the stock sights and after I modded them with three-dots it made a world of difference.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top