JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been exploring the problems and pitfalls of a variety of zero distances for AR guns. For me I think what will work best is a 50 yard zero. Now this could be the dumbest question of the day but does an optic sight heigth above bore affect zeroing? My EoTech is co-witnessed so no prob there but what about an optic that sits higher?

yes. You run into parallax error. Where the scope is actually pointed down relative to the bore line in order for the Point of Aim and the point of impact to coincide. Which if you have it sighted in at 50 yards will cause the point of aim to be way low at 100 yards etc.

Take a piece of paper and draw it out you will see what I mean.

http://www.eso.org/public/outreach/...eports-2004/rep-127/Figures/Fig(parallax).JPG
Parallax in Rifle Scopes

Even if the red dot is "parallax free"?

Now this could be the dumbest question of the day but does an optic sight heigth above bore affect zeroing? My EoTech is co-witnessed so no prob there but what about an optic that sits higher?

There is no difference in zeroing. Regardless of how high or low is your sight, if it has enough adjustment, it can be zeroed at any distance. The problem really is in the fact that once you shoot at a distance other than your sighting distance, you may have to compensate wildly if your optics is way far.

For example, imagine you have optics sitting 4 inches above your bore (that is the distance between center of your bore and center of your reticle). Zeroed at 50 meters, that means your bullet will climb by 4 inches up before hitting your point of aim at 50 meters. Now if you shoot a target at 25 meters, you will be 2 inches low... which perhaps is not a problem. And what happens when you actually shoot at 100 meters with that zero ? Considering there will be almost no drop due too gravity at that distance in many rifle calibers, you will likely be 4 inches too high... that is a missed headshot :D

Now just by having the optics at 2 inches instead of 4 above the bore, described errors would also reduce by half.

For a fun and practical application of this phenomenon, search for "AR battle zero". It's a way to be within a few inches of point of aim from 50 to 300 meters without adjusting the sights between shots. Or something like that.

For a fun and practical application of this phenomenon, search for "AR battle zero". It's a way to be within a few inches of point of aim from 50 to 300 meters without adjusting the sights between shots. Or something like that.

Yes. Standard AR15 sights are about 2.2" above bore. Sighted at 50M it will be 2 inches too high at 100M, then due to gravity (check ballistic chart for given load / barrel length for exact numbers) it will drop some 2 inches and will be spot on at 200M, then it will drop a bit more, and will be some 2-3 inches low at 300M. All of that is negligible when aiming at center of mass.

That is one zero I looked at but I decided on the improved battle zero because of the bullet trajectory from 25 -200+ yards is practical for me. For my eyes and EoTech I feel the "IBZ" is best for me. The reason I asked the original question is that I have noted different optics have greater bore to sight height distances. My gut said that this could have a impact on trajectory.

Sounds like this is a question about an optic sight mounted on a AR handrail?

OP, could you be more specific?

In general, your optic, which is sighted in at 50 yards will shoot at roughly the same POA at 200 yards. (Roughly). Every optic and every different rail adjusts a little bit differently. But finding and correcting the POA shouldn't be too much of an issue. \

If you're having specific problems, please state those specific problems, including the make of the rifle, the optic and where and how you're mounting said optic so we can be of more help.

Without that info it's very hard to diagnose a problem.

Sounds like this is a question about an optic sight mounted on a AR handrail?

OP, could you be more specific?

In general, your optic, which is sighted in at 50 yards will shoot at roughly the same POA at 200 yards. (Roughly). Every optic and every different rail adjusts a little bit differently. But finding and correcting the POA shouldn't be too much of an issue. \

If you're having specific problems, please state those specific problems, including the make of the rifle, the optic and where and how you're mounting said optic so we can be of more help.

Without that info it's very hard to diagnose a problem.

No problem as of yet. Going to be getting a 300 BLK upper and I wanted to put an optic on it. I would like to have the money to do either a Leupold 1-4x or a similar Vortex. As best as I can tell those have very similar sight to bore heights to the EoTech I already have. Then another person mentioned the Lucid HD7 which is a ACOG looking 1x red dot. The Lucid looks like it sets higher and so that was the basis of my question. fd15k had a good point which was the lower the optic the better. I guess when it comes to optics there is always a give and take in terms of zero issues.

To be honest, if I can shoot minute of milk jug at 200 yards with a 1x red dot I will be happy. Neither my 5.56 AR or the 300 BLK I hope to get in the near future will be (nor meant to be) "sniper reach out and touch someone" type guns. It's always fun to shoot milk jugs or pumkins at several hundred yards but the mission I have for these guns really will be 50 yards and less and likely under 25yards in a defensive scenario. Because of this I am finding it harder and harder to justify a $500 and up optic be it a 1-4x or EoTech or Aimpoint. That's why I looked at the HD7 and am looking at other red dots. However, as I wondered earlier in the thread would an optic that sits relatively higher have more issues with doing an IBZ zero. I know I could zero any optic to 50 yards but would the bullet strike roughly in the 200 yards POA or would it be off considerably due to the great sight to bore height difference?

No problem as of yet. Going to be getting a 300 BLK upper and I wanted to put an optic on it. I would like to have the money to do either a Leupold 1-4x or a similar Vortex. As best as I can tell those have very similar sight to bore heights to the EoTech I already have. Then another person mentioned the Lucid HD7 which is a ACOG looking 1x red dot. The Lucid looks like it sets higher and so that was the basis of my question. fd15k had a good point which was the lower the optic the better. I guess when it comes to optics there is always a give and take in terms of zero issues.

To be honest, if I can shoot minute of milk jug at 200 yards with a 1x red dot I will be happy. Neither my 5.56 AR or the 300 BLK I hope to get in the near future will be (nor meant to be) "sniper reach out and touch someone" type guns. It's always fun to shoot milk jugs or pumkins at several hundred yards but the mission I have for these guns really will be 50 yards and less and likely under 25yards in a defensive scenario. Because of this I am finding it harder and harder to justify a $500 and up optic be it a 1-4x or EoTech or Aimpoint. That's why I looked at the HD7 and am looking at other red dots. However, as I wondered earlier in the thread would an optic that sits relatively higher have more issues with doing an IBZ zero. I know I could zero any optic to 50 yards but would the bullet strike roughly in the 200 yards POA or would it be off considerably due to the great sight to bore height difference?

Go with a Bushnell HoloSight. $250 or less and you're MOA accracy up to 400 yards.

I have mine sighted in at 50- yards, which is close enough at 200 yards and at 5 yards (household length max) is an easy adjustment by Kentucky windage. (easily ascertainable by you at the range.

I sight most centerfire rifle calibers in 2 inches high at 100 yards.. this is very much like a 50 yard zero but lets me dial in a bit more alignment, horizontally

With 5.56 and 7.62 NATO that gives you a dead on hold up to 300 yards on men and larger targets

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top