JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Several years ago I went to buy a Glock 19, but ended up getting a Taurus 24/7 Pro. They had just come out and the sales guy really liked it, and they were about $100 cheaper.

Kept it for a few years, sent it back to Taurus twice because the safety stopped working, then sold it for half the price I bought it for.

You pay for what you get.

In the mid 90's I picked up an Anaconda Colt still in the box with paper at a pawn shop for $225. Five years latter some one offered me $500 cash for it while standing at a river fishing. I took it. Damn I wish I never did that.

2001 'ish, I passed up a little used original HK91 for $900. Man, I could buy a few new guns for I could sell it for now.

There are more, but those stand out the most.

A few years ago I took my old Springfield 03-A3 to a gun show to try and find an original military stock for it. One of the vendors offered me any of the three handguns on his table for the rifle, strait across trade. I gave that gentleman my rifle and walked out with a Ruger P89:nuts:

Was at a gun show about five years back, and just had to have a .22 magnum derringer. Think it was made by cobra. Worthless POS, had to extract the empties with a screwdriver every time. Trigger pull was about 11 pounds, or thereabouts. Sold it to a co-worker who thought it looked cool.

What is your "what was a I thinking" moment

Worst what was I thinking: but a kel-tec folding 9mm carbine; it takes smith 59 mags, and really never worked right. Neat idea, only fires the first mag without a hitch, then the fail kicks in 2nd mag. One of my friends convinced me to buy that hunk of junk.

Grrrrrrrr, nice idea, crappy execution. Meh, guess its not really a what was I thinking moment.

Oh yeah, all the times I could have bought stuff before the ban, but didn't.

I have a few principles that I use to govern my firearm sales/purchases:

1) Buy the best you can afford, not the cheapest you can get away with.
2) Buy with purpose, not because it looks cool.
3) Don't sell guns, buy another safe. :)

My only "What was I thinking moment?" was last summer at an auction when I let a pre-64 Winchester 70 30-06 in excellent condition get away from me for $450. Really wish that I'd pick that one up.

Luckily, at the same auction, I picked up a Sig 229 in .357 for $425.

Bryce

I had a RRA .458SOCOM, and still kick myself for selling it off for money for food and things. :( ... you know how the economy has been.
But once the money was going again, but before I had a new RRA SOCOM, I jumped on a Alliance Armament AK-460 as it was just too strange to NOT have.

But ...the .458 caliber AK is turning out to be not so bad after all.
'cept now I don't have the money for a new RRA .458. :angry:

Phillyfan - Post #15
"Bought a pair of Winchester 94 commemorative rifles (1967 Teddy Roosevelt, and a Centennial 1966) as an investement. Beautiful guns, and I do love them, but I have seen some listed in the last couple of years and there doesn't seem to be much interest in them. Don't think I'll be making much, if anything on them."

Then shoot them rather than regret not seeing them appreciate as wished. "Beautiful guns, and I do love them," - Beautiful guns that you love should be shot and enjoyed. You can bet they will be favorably noticed at the range.

I have had enough "What was I thinking" monents that I don't sell guns any more. It has been a LONG time since I had to sell a gun due to financial desperation.

My first handgun - a Chinese Norinco Tokarev knockoff in 9mm. I guess it wasn't too bad of a decision since I later sold it for more than I paid for it, but I wasted a lot of time trying to get it to work worth a damn.

During the first AWB scare, I was worried about normal capacity mags so I went to the store and bought a matched set of Glocks in .40 and 9mm. I bought tons of mags and the whole enchilada.

My "what was I thinking" moment came when I took them to the range a year later - I couldn't hit anything with them and hated them. Nothing wrong with them; they just didn't fit me. They are the only real handguns I ever sold.

My huh? purchase was a $200 FEG Hungarian Browning Hi-Power copy with high cap mag. I had previously shot a real Browning and liked it a lot. Around the same time I had also got a EAA witness P, with the 9mm-40cal conversion, but it had one hi-cap mag. These were preban in CA. Duh, could not buy extra mags for it and could not sell it. They would be good boat anchors I guess. Still have them, as a collector hard to part with them, yet, hate the heck out of them.
while I was in the service, I purchased a Taurus PT-92 because it was almost exactly like the Beretta, I wanted to qualify for boarding team school. I passed on a AMT Hardballer.
The rifle I passed on was a BAR, a WWII BAR. I had the money, but I forget now what I used it on. I will forever regret that.

Went to the gun shop to buy my first gun and let the guy at the counter talk me into the Glock 35 over the Glock 22. It was more expensive and in hindsight not a huge deal as I love my 35 but had I knew then what I know now, I would've preferred the 22 or the 21 (or better yet, saved longer for a 1911). What's worse is hearing the same guy telling me on another trip that Magpul PMAGs were garbage and ARs should only be built by someone with training in gunsmithing.
Taught me to do your research, know what YOU want, get what YOU want

I saw a Sig P220 at a small gun show. Looked like a safe queen with hardly any use in it. Thought to my self "I should get that, but what would i do with another 45???" So I passed it up. Dumb move?
Now I know if i see one again ill have fun figuring out how to shoot more 45s.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top