JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am a big fan of Thor Targets, they have a proprietary metal that withstands some serious abuse. 223 from 25 yards doesn't even dent it. And they are a local company, from Lebanon, and are available a many LGSs.

I am a big fan of Thor Targets, they have a proprietary metal that withstands some serious abuse. 223 from 25 yards doesn't even dent it. And they are a local company, from Lebanon, and are available a many LGSs.

Be careful here. You'll note in the video that they shoot the target with a 62 gr .223/5.56 round. That's probably pushing the upper limit of the 3000 fps rated steel, but it's probably just under it. They don't tell us.

But their FAQ section on their web page is pretty clear (see below)...their targets are rated and warrantied for up 3000 fps...like just about every other single steel target maker out there. It's hard for me to believe that there is anything "proprietary" about their steel. And if there is, it sure doesn't seem to be improving the durability of their steel over other targets. Moreover, there are PLENTY of .223/5.56 rounds that leave the muzzle at 3200 fps. Shoot one of those at the targets at 25 yards and I'm betting you will damage the target. Speed is what kills a steel target. Not the size of the round.

And I'm not saying they don't make a good product. Only to be careful with the velocity of the rounds you shoot at. Their video gives the impression that their targets are more robust than they are.

Question: What calibers are Thor Targets rated for?

Answer: All 3/8" targets are rated for all calibers up to 3,000 feet per second at the point of impact.

Question: Does Thor Targets offer a warranty?

Answer: Only the actual steel target has a limited lifetime warranty. Conditional to target being shot with calibers going slower than 3,000 feet per second at the point of impact. Conditional to being shot from the safe distance of 100 yards with rifles and 25 yards with pistols.

I'm using a Thor 10". It was $40.00 at the ARPC show a couple of years ago. I would buy again if this one ever gets shot out. The only thing that's put more than just a little divot was .30-06 at 80 yards, AFTER one chain holding it had been compromised and the 06 round hit the edge. :eek: I think the S&W 500, 80 yards with 300gr hard cast was the other that hit an edge and took a little out.

Thor Targets » Steel Shooting and Hunting Targets Made In The USA

Stay away from the Walmart spinning Targets.
Lol granted it was only 25 or 35 bucks .but it said would handle 30.06 but a few hundred Rounds of 5.56 and we destroyed it.
Pics . BEFORE AND AFTER
IMG_20180628_174734.jpg 2774.jpeg 2775.jpeg IMG_20180629_171122.jpg

I have silhouette targets from shootsteel.com, ChallengeTargets.com and Thor targets. The bases of the Challenge Targets and Thor targets work much better on uneven ground than the Shoot Steal. Given that there are multiple LGS I can buy Thor targets, that is my go to for new targets.

I agree and have several 6-8-12" gongs under heavy fire power. I just did a test on one gong with 300 Win Mag and 338 Lapua Mag. on my private range. I was amazed at the difference ballistic energy between 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards (test purposes only). My range starts with gongs at 200 yards and go to 600 yards. Thor gongs are best for the money!

I agree and have several 6-8-12" gongs under heavy fire power. I just did a test on one gong with 300 Win Mag and 338 Lapua Mag. on my private range. I was amazed at the difference ballistic energy between 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards (test purposes only). My range starts with gongs at 200 yards and go to 600 yards. Thor gongs are best for the money!

Can you elaborate more on this test? What did you do exactly? What were the results? Pictures? Etc.

Thanks!

Local gun shop brought a Thor target to my range with a .350 hole in gong done by a 300 Win mag at 100 yards (test proves not so). I was in awe and could only wonder what the heck could have put a hole like this in a Thor gong? Set up a chronograph for 300 Win mag 22" barrel and my 338 Lapua Mag 28" barrel. 300 Win Mag 3150 fps 180 gr. & 338 Lapua Mag 250 gr., 3,000 fps. both maybe a 1/16" deep scratch mark :) at 100 yards. Moved gong to 50 yards and shot both. 300 Win made a small bulge in gong ;) and 338 Lapua was barely "noticeable :oops:". I was willing to bet money that the 300 Win mag would not go thru this gong at 25 yards, WRONG :(, look just like the hole in gong before started this "Controlled Test". The bullet mushroomed enough to lazier a .350 hole thru this gong at 25 yards. I did not try my Lapua mag at 25 yards, it was not my target to put holes in. Thor gongs have a military spec metal and are amazing gongs. I will always be amazed at how much different the 300 Win mag ballistic energy has at 25 yards compared to 50 yards. I also have 300 Win mags and my favorite caliber. I shoot paper target 25 sight in, 50, 75, 100-200-300 yards and shoot gongs 200 to 600 yards. Pictures of gong and recorded hits were taken by local gun shop. I just provided my range and my Lapua mag for this test.

Last Edited:
Local gun shop brought a Thor target to my range with a .350 hole in gong done by a 300 Win mag at 100 yards (test proves not so). I was in awe and could only wonder what the heck could have put a hole like this in a Thor gong? Set up a chronograph for 300 Win mag 22" barrel and my 338 Lapua Mag 28" barrel. 300 Win Mag 3150 fps 180 gr. & 338 Lapua Mag 250 gr., 3,000 fps. both maybe a 1/16" deep scratch mark :) at 100 yards. Moved gong to 50 yards and shot both. 300 Win made a small bulge in gong ;) and 338 Lapua was barely "noticeable :oops:". I was willing to bet money that the 300 Win mag would not go thru this gong at 25 yards, WRONG :(, look just like the hole in gong before started this "Controlled Test". The bullet mushroomed enough to lazier a .350 hole thru this gong at 25 yards. I did not try my Lapua mag at 25 yards, it was not my target to put holes in. Thor gongs have a military spec metal and are amazing gongs. I will always be amazed at how much different the 300 Win mag ballistic energy has at 25 yards compared to 50 yards. I also have 300 Win mags and my favorite caliber. I shoot paper target 25 sight in, 50, 75, 100-200-300 yards and shoot gongs 200 to 600 yards. Pictures of gong and recorded hits were taken by local gun shop. I just provided my range and my Lapua mag for this test.

I don't shoot anything as big/fast/heavy as your talking. It would seem to prove though that what the the folks at the Thor Targets booth at the ARPC show said was true. They told me "Oh, our gongs are stronger that AR500 steel". At the time I was "Whatever, price seems good to me". I imagine IF the 10" target I bought ever gets shot up too bad I will have got my $40.00 worth out of it.

It's hard for me to believe that there is anything "proprietary" about their steel.

There is actually some truth to the "proprietary" claim, though it's proprietary to the mill that produces the steel, not the company that makes the targets.

If you look at something like 4130 steel those numbers denote a pretty specific make up, or percent of alloying elements: carbon, molybdenum, chromium. The name of AR500 doesn't denote a "specific" formula. It only means Abrasion Resistant with a Brinell Hardness Number of 500 (nominally, but can vary from 460-540). Basically this means that any steel meeting these parameters can be called AR500 regardless of what it's comprised of. That being said, I doubt there is much variation from one mill's formula to the next.

...uh, sorry, class dismissed! :D:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top