JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have access to start making lots of steel targets ranging from 6 inch diameter to up to 2 feet in diameter steel plates. Is there any interest in people here willing to buy such targets? The plate will range from 1/2 inch to 1 inch in thickness. I'll be welding on 2 pieces of chain link on the top for people to hang the plates. If there's enough interest I'll start selling them.

Can you cut carriage bolt holes instead of welding the chain? What rating are the plates?

I'm not sure on the specifics of the steel since these will be the scraps/cut offs from work. This is not ar500 plate. If it helps determine the steel we build heavy industrial equipment that stands up to a lot of abuse. I don't have access to being able to cut holes into the plate. This is stuff I'm going to be working on at work during break. I should clarify that I'm cutting a chain link in half and welding each half onto the top of the plate.

I'm not sure on the cost but was thinking the 6 to 10 inch diameter 1/2 half inch thich plates would be somewhere in the ballpark of 10$ to 20$. The bigger I'll have to figure out. These plates will come in a variety of shapes but mostly circles with occasional different shapes depending on what scrap we have at work.

I'm not sure on the specifics of the steel since these will be the scraps/cut offs from work. This is not ar500 plate. If it helps determine the steel we build heavy industrial equipment that stands up to a lot of abuse. I don't have access to being able to cut holes into the plate. This is stuff I'm going to be working on at work during break. I should clarify that I'm cutting a chain link in half and welding each half onto the top of the plate.

I'm not sure on the cost but was thinking the 6 to 10 inch diameter 1/2 half inch thich plates would be somewhere in the ballpark of 10$ to 20$. The bigger I'll have to figure out. These plates will come in a variety of shapes but mostly circles with occasional different shapes depending on what scrap we have at work.
Weld to the back if you can't drill the holes as opposed to the top. Some people don't shoot so good and are prone to chain strikes. It will also provide the downward angle necessary to prevent back splatter.

Last Edited:
Weld to the back if you can't drill the holes as opposed to the top. Some people don't shoot so good and are prone to chain strikes. It will also provide the downward angle necessary to prevent back splatter.
That's a good idea. Thanks for the advice!

I've got a few buddies that shot my chains and 2x4 stands.

"Ummmmmm..... How did you miss THAT bad?"
And the ones with the "ears" with the holes from Thor? You hit that ear and the steel can fracture. Then you only have one ear. But that makes it a spinner! o_O

I've got a few buddies that shot my chains and 2x4 stands.

"Ummmmmm..... How did you miss THAT bad?"
I usually state that those that hit the chains are the true marksman. Those are much smaller targets than the actual target!

As for the steel plates in question, the type of steel does worry me. For pistol and rimfire I'm sure they will be fine. Especially if noted that's about all they should be shot with. If the Price is right they might be worthy for sale. I still prefer the good ole holes in the plates over welded on chain. Though thanks to members like the OP I was able to start out with steel at a great price when I first started. I've bought many steel plates from folks like this over the years including the pictured target. It's one of the oldest plates I have. I've since moved on and invested in many plates for different roles. My favorite being those that bolt to a bracket of some sort to be attached to a 2x4 or fence t post. Those that I bought for use at Tri County are very similar to the ones they use themselves. They are pretty strict in regards to outside steel and so I wanted to make sure I was within their parameters.

6EB7291A-6CA4-486F-875C-AD48E93CE389.jpeg 495BE7CA-82BF-4280-944C-1460DC1532FD.jpeg

I usually state that those that hit the chains are the true marksman. Those are much smaller targets than the actual target!
LOL
One of those shoots after a clean-up when eight people are at the line with various rifles all "Herd" shooting at your steel at 75 YARDS> edited) will test those chains! I remember seeing one of your steel plates hit the ground at a Salmonberry Pit clean-up!

Good times man! :s0155:

Last Edited:
As for the steel plates in question, the type of steel does worry me. For pistol and rimfire I'm sure they will be fine. Especially if noted that's about all they should be shot with. If the Price is right they might be worthy for sale. I still prefer the good ole holes in the plates over welded on chain. Though thanks to members like the OP I was able to start out with steel at a great price when I first started. I've bought many steel plates from folks like this over the years including the pictured target. It's one of the oldest plates I have. I've since moved on and invested in many plates for different roles. My favorite being those that bolt to a bracket of some sort to be attached to a 2x4 or fence t post. Those that I bought for use at Tri County are very similar to the ones they use themselves. They are pretty strict in regards to outside steel and so I wanted to make sure I was within their parameters.

View attachment 1297911 View attachment 1297915
Didn't realize he was talking about steel < ar500. No way I would shoot steel less than ar500 personally and huge increase in chance to ricochet especially after any dents develop. There is no need. Ar500 targets are plentiful and cheap. Hang one (or preferably several) on shepherds hook(s) and you are good to go. No need for a chain imo just more stuff to haul in and out when shooting. No need to worry about breaking any chains, welds, or hardware. Just my preference on shepherd's hooks, lots of options out there that work well. Re crappy steel for 22 targets, there are tons of those avaialble in every possible format, spinners, trees, plates, resetting, pop ups, everything. And they are very cheap too. Can't see how one could compete in that market unless you found some really ignorant customers who never bothered to search the internet or even check their local sportsmans warehouse fe to see what's there. IMO Ar500 can be used for everything so I don't see the need to mess with steel that can dent and cause dangerous ricochets.

Last Edited:
Didn't realize he was talking about steel < ar500. No way I would shoot steel less than ar500 personally and huge increase in chance to ricochet especially after any dents develop. There is no need. Ar500 targets are plentiful and cheap. Hang one (or preferably several) on shepherds hook(s) and you are good to go. No need for a chain imo just more stuff to haul in and out when shooting. No need to worry about breaking any chains, welds, or hardware. Just my preference on shepherd's hooks, lots of options out there that work well. Re crappy steel for 22 targets, there are tons of those avaialble in every possible format, spinners, trees, plates, resetting, pop ups, everything. And they are very cheap too. Can't see how one could compete in that market unless you found some really ignorant customers who never bothered to search the internet or even check their local sportsmans warehouse fe to see what. there. Ar500 can be used for everything so I don't see the need to mess with steel that can dent and cause ricochets.
I've got ar400 steel that I only shoot with 22lr. Ar500 isn't necessary for 22lr.

I realize that but why bother having 2 kinds is what I'm saying. Take the same plates out and you are ready to shoot any gun you happen to bring along (excluding the big stuff).
I've got ar500 1/2" plates, and you can't hear a 22lr strike or see it move for that matter. My range has steel knock down plates, and it takes a mag dump to knock them down with my Volquartsen.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top