JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just got back from the home range and am I reminded that we need to replace our targets. The ones up there are either completely toast or close to it. I'm looking to setting up 3-4 different sized steel targets, at various ranges, on said. I've bought them off the Intertubes from various places, but figured I'd toss it out there to see where others are acquiring theirs. Thanks much. :)

There are some members here who seem to sell them regularly. Just make sure it's AR400 or better. :)

Local steel manufactures can make them, we have a place here that will make them, well they used to presume they still do in Douglas County, fabricators called Steel Outlet.

I have several of these and they are wonderfully portable and have held up very well. However, do note, they will hold up to rifle calibers at the stated distances (100 yds and velocity below 3000 fps). However, if you're hoping to shoot .223/5.56 at it inside of 100 yards, it won't hold up to that.

Action Target : PT Practice Target

If you're looking for a "close range" rifle target, checkout this one. Or look for another MFG who specifically states their targets will hold up to .223 under 100 yards...and has a solid warranty reputation in case it doesn't.

Action Target : 45 Degree Static

Also try "nutnfancy15" for a 15% discount. It used to be active but I don't know if this is still the case. Worth a try.

I don't know if @IronMonster is still making them. I have three of his 12x12x1/2" AR500 gongs. They don't ring as loudly as 3/8", but man do they hold up to the abuse. My three have seen thousands of rounds, from all calibers except 50BMG, and I have only one chip in one of them, on the very bottom edge. No craters, no divots.
Though I picked mine up in ID, USPS Flat Rate Post was going to be <$40 for the three, stand rings and a 4th, 8" gong.

Shooters Service Center in St. Johns has a selection.
I keep meaning to swing by at lunch and pick up one of these. <broken link removed>

Rail Road track base plates work for a while and you can usually find plenty just laying around.
They don't like .308 though at any distance though.
P1000666.jpg

Rail Road track base plates work for a while and you can usually find plenty just laying around.
They don't like .308 though at any distance though.
View attachment 480420
I'd say that one's pretty well shot up !!
I forget which NWFA member told me about these. I use them only for pistols. I've looked and pick them up when I find them, two so far, and they aren't laying about as much as I remember. Perhaps scrap prices have driven the layabouts to near extinction?
I spray paint after each use, so new hits are easily identifiable.

Get a plasma cutter and simple welder. Learning a new skill is good and it is more fun than reloading. You can even cut them with a basic acetylene torch outfit. Few skills are more useful than welding.

Picked up most of mine at Wideners when they sold such things.

I'd recommend www.shootsteel.com as well. I've got a handful of their targets.

If your good with welding, I'd say make your own base and holder. Should be much cheaper.

100 + yards, angled down and contained.
Bottom is filled with jackets and whatnot. Rake up and toss in shotgun hulls and garbage when leaving.
P1000665.jpg

I wonder how well it would work with an actual hardened plate made for target shooting. If the plastic would take all the spalling or not.

Get a plasma cutter and simple welder. Learning a new skill is good and it is more fun than reloading. You can even cut them with a basic acetylene torch outfit. Few skills are more useful than welding.

The more I think on this, the more I am digging it. Thanks for the idea. :D

I don't know if @IronMonster is still making them. I have three of his 12x12x1/2" AR500 gongs. They don't ring as loudly as 3/8", but man do they hold up to the abuse. My three have seen thousands of rounds, from all calibers except 50BMG, and I have only one chip in one of them, on the very bottom edge. No craters, no divots.

Very happy will mine as well. Grandkids and I gave them a good workout four weeks ago, before my bypass surgery. They're resting in the garage in the meantime, until I heal up. Big, big thumbs-up for @IronMonster

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads