JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started with the RCBS/Speer reloading manual. I like the Hornady manual information
I agree with others of comparing data from several different bullet and powder manufactures.
My go to is the One Book/One Caliber books. I have one for each caliber I reload.
41GQ1fSwVNL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Another vote for Lyman. (I notice CRBMoA has the 50th edition. Mine is 47th. :oops:)

Also another vote for multiple. WillametteWill is spot on with his comment about conflicting information. I blew a few primers out on some starter loads for .22-250 about 25 years ago. If I'd consulted multiple manuals, I would have started with a lower powder charge.

Don't feel bad. It just shows I got a later start!🤣
I'm already feeling a little old. Mixed in with the other reloading manuals I have from Hodgdon, Speer, Sierra, Lee, and Nosler, is a First Edition - The Handloader's Digest -1962. Man, I must've been an early starter. I turned one in 1962.

Last Edited:
Lyman
Lyman makes neither powders or bullets per se so they aren't pushing one particular brand as is the case with the Speer, Hogdon, Sierra, Nosler and the rest.
They also have load data for lead bullets which the others don't do at all.
The first 100+ pages are dedicated to how to reload powder types and burn rates plus a whole lot of other very useful info. I have other manuals such as the Hogdon magazine that comes out annually and, as I prefer Hornady hollow points, I have their manual as well, but the Lyman book is always the first I manual I look to when setting up for a new caliber or load.

I started 1st grade in 62!
I started 2nd grade in '62. Sonny!

Ahem, on topic. Not that you really NEED more on the topic. I started loading in Nov. 2011. The RCBS kit came with the Speer #14 book. Not long after I snagged the Lyman #49 book at a gun show. Between those two, AND the internet, the makes three books/sources. Something else I keep handy is a powder burn rate chart. That chart adds to my overall understanding of what goes on in any given cartridge at the time of firing.
I'll add, the Lyman #50th I picked up has all the same data for the cartridges I load. Likely there are some powders added to that weren't in the #49.

I started 2nd grade in '62. Sonny!

Ahem, on topic. Not that you really NEED more on the topic. I started loading in Nov. 2011. The RCBS kit came with the Speer #14 book. Not long after I snagged the Lyman #49 book at a gun show. Between those two, AND the internet, the makes three books/sources. Something else I keep handy is a powder burn rate chart. That chart adds to my overall understanding of what goes on in any given cartridge at the time of firing.
I'll add, the Lyman #50th I picked up has all the same data for the cartridges I load. Likely there are some powders added to that weren't in the #49.
evidently, I wasn't very good at math in school, I actually started 3rd grade in the fall of 62. born may of 54. lol

I started with the RCBS/Speer reloading manual. I like the Hornady manual information
I agree with others of comparing data from several different bullet and powder manufactures.
My go to is the One Book/One Caliber books. I have one for each caliber I reload.
View attachment 1102303
As do I. It's an excellent way to reference comparisons between different companies data without buying a Bible sized book from each company.

Another vote for Lyman for all around info and many types of bullets, ESPECIALLY cast bullet info. I believe mine is a 46th and has been used so much the pages are falling out.

But, bullet manufacturers have data where only their specific bullet is used and will offer info the more generalized Lyman will not.

Couldn't have just 1 book have to compare data with other book... I currently us the Lyman 50th....Hornady book.... And hodg. Book as well... I've found that some of the data in the Hornady book goes a little better in depth as to what you put into your rounds and what results you might achieve.. but I have also found loads in the Hornady book that say max is 5.3gr for instance the. I checked the hodg.... And it said 5.1 gr was the max.... The only issue with the Hornady book I've had so far is pretty much all the data in there has to do with Hornady component s where the hodg. Tells you afew variety s of supplies....

Couldn't have just 1 book have to compare data with other book... I currently us the Lyman 50th....Hornady book.... And hodg. Book as well... I've found that some of the data in the Hornady book goes a little better in depth as to what you put into your rounds and what results you might achieve.. but I have also found loads in the Hornady book that say max is 5.3gr for instance the. I checked the hodg.... And it said 5.1 gr was the max.... The only issue with the Hornady book I've had so far is pretty much all the data in there has to do with Hornady component s where the hodg. Tells you afew variety s of supplies....
Very true!
Bullet manufacturers will only test their own bullets. Powder manufacturers will only use their powders, but may give a few different bullet options. It's an interesting comparison. Also, as listed in another thread a while back, sometimes data is updated due to better testing methods (re: Nosler Partition in a 25-06). The more current manuals one has, the better.

You'll also notice when you see differences in different loading books that generally pressures and velocity will vary when maximum loads are different, or different test barrels, and whether it's PSI or CUP pressures. The guys that make these books most likely have tested many combos of powder, bullets and bullet weights and have printed only those that came in at safe dependable specs.

sometimes data is updated due to better testing methods (re: Nosler Partition in a 25-06). The more current manuals one has, the better.
You're killing me here. My newest manual is my Nosler one. So, I Googled and see the current Nosler is #9. Mine is #6. The good news is, I use Sierra bullets almost exclusively in my .25-06. Just please don't tell me the recipe has changed for the 180 grain Partition in a .300 Weatherby Magnum. Oh wait, I'm pretty happy with my current load. (Me, now sticking my fingers in my ears and chanting nonsense so I can't hear you.) :D

New to reloading. Question? If you could only have on reloading manual which one would it be?
No.

I mostly use the manuals of the bullet manufacturer, but also those of powder makers. Also the Ackley manual.

For General Purpose and instruction, I like the Lyman 50th. But it often doesn't list the bullet I want to use, so that's why I have bullet maker data from Speer, Sierra, Nosler, etc.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top