JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The XDM is a Glock with more features (loading indicator, cocking indicator, Grip Safety, more mag capacity, heavier barrel, smoother trigger).

But the Glock is a little slimmer and easier to carry....also it's cheaper. Choice is your's, really....not going to go wrong with either gun (except for them being 9mm! lol).
Glock has loaded indicator, glock also has 33rd mags available, although not flush fitting.

Glock has loaded indicator, glock also has 33rd mags available, although not flush fitting.

That little swell from the extractor is hardly a "loading indicator". The XD has a notch that protrudes from the top. If you run your hand accross it and feel the bump, your firearm is loaded. It's GREAT for checking your pistol at night...you can even feel it with gloves on.

That little swell from the extractor is hardly a "loading indicator". The XD has a notch that protrudes from the top. If you run your hand accross it and feel the bump, your firearm is loaded. It's GREAT for checking your pistol at night...you can even feel it with gloves on.
If I can check it visually and physically without racking the slide, works for me, I haven't ever had a need to check it because I know what condition I carry it in, I know what condition it is in if I change mags, if I hit slidelock, etc.

With the exception of in the heat of the moment you get that bang-bang-click, then you know you don't have anything, and in that case you're really not paying attention to that indicator, and it's a moot point with the XD or Glock as you hit slidelock when your out, you don't get that click.

Sure you can feel the indicator on the XD with gloves on at night, but really, how often are you in darkness with your gloves on and wondering if you have a round chambered or not?
I'm sure there are situations where this happens, but that as a main selling feature over any other gun is even less of selling point than saying the gun has an option to come in a variety of pretty colors.

The point is it does have one, don't get me wrong, I love both the Glock and the XD, I actually think the XD is a more accurate gun (possibly due to the heavier barrel) and is much better for target shooting than the glock is, just don't try to say one doesn't have something when it does just to make the other look better.

Now if you want to say it has a grip safety, heavier barrel, smoother trigger I will agree with you 100% as those are true, the other parts, not so much.

Why isn't the S&W M&P9 under consideration?

I was in the same predicament as the OP except I was trying to decide between the Springfield XDm, Glock (17 or 34) and the Smith and Wesson M&P9. Having shot all three, I quickly tossed the XDm from the running. The "high bore axis" and increased muzzle flip was very noticeable to me and follow up shots were more difficult (caveat- I'm a RANK AMATEUR shooter with little training). The choice between the G17 and the S&W M&P9 was much tougher as shooting both was a great deal of fun and seemingly easier for me. I've decided on the M&P9 (might get a .40 or even a Pro version instead) because I liked the trigger. As soon as I've saved the cash, I'll be buying the M&P.

Lefties don't like thumb safeties. Once I tried a Glock, that was it for me.

And it's pretty funny to hear all the adulation for the XD's dirt tolerance when everybody and their kid sister has seen those horrific Glock torture tales.

Because you should only be putting your finger on the trigger if your going to shoot :s0092:

When manufacters put trigger safties on firearms, they are assuming the handler is handling the gun safe and logically.

If you pratice proper firearm saftey there is no problems. So if you have a problem with "trigger safties", maybe you look at yourself and work on your gun safety:D

For those that chose to shoot reload ammo i suggest go with glock. Xd is very accurate and nothing wrong with it, i own it and loving it. But once come to shooting reload ammo I am few jamn on the xd. The case of a live round will not insert into the barrel completely. Caused my xd jamn, i cant rack it back to eject the round by hand. I sometime use the flat head screwdriver to get the eject hole crack open. While glock eat anything i feef including the bad round xd wont eject.

So if you are going to use only manufacturing ammo then go with xd.

Wow, this is the first, and I think only, time I have seen anyone say an XD jammed. I guess the shock I feel right now says how much I respect the dependability of this gun.

Either one I will NEVER UNDERSTAND who thought it was a great idea to put the safety ON THE FREAKING TRIGGERS!

Gee, let's put the safety on the trigger!

The same people who thought, "hmm, gun owners know to keep their finger off the trigger until they inted to shoot, and look how often people forget to take the manual safety off (whether plinking, or in the heat of battle). Lets make it so this thing is ready to go, and we'll put a grip safety on it as well to make extra sure this thing only goes bang when it is intended to." Of course this is the XD folks talking.

A lot of people have been shot or killed by guns that had their safety on (or at least people thought they were on). For some reason folks think that if the safety is on all gun safety rules go out the window.

I chose the XDm9 for my home defense gun because my wife is not an experienced shooter. With all the adrenaline and fear running through her in a situation that she had to take the thing out, it would be easy for her to forget to take off the safety. All I want her to think about is point and shoot.

Purchased XD for a couple reasons: (while I have the 40.. all still applies to the 9)
1. shot a friends
2. torture tests
3. weight (vs full metal)
4. safety features
5. ease of disassembly (vs the P90 SS I had)

I've got an XD 4" service model in 9mm and and XDm 4.5" in 9mm.
They are both fantastic shooting platforms without a single hiccup yet.
Remember that the XDm can be had in the 3.8" slide version now if the 4.5" slide feels a little top heavy.

The grip angle on the Glocks doesn't work for me, but they are tried and true guns as well. Now that the Gen 4's have adjustable straps, I may have to try them again.

That's my .02 worth. Ed

The same people who thought, "hmm, gun owners know to keep their finger off the trigger until they inted to shoot, and look how often people forget to take the manual safety off (whether plinking, or in the heat of battle). Lets make it so this thing is ready to go, and we'll put a grip safety on it as well to make extra sure this thing only goes bang when it is intended to." Of course this is the XD folks talking.

A lot of people have been shot or killed by guns that had their safety on (or at least people thought they were on). For some reason folks think that if the safety is on all gun safety rules go out the window.

I chose the XDm9 for my home defense gun because my wife is not an experienced shooter. With all the adrenaline and fear running through her in a situation that she had to take the thing out, it would be easy for her to forget to take off the safety. All I want her to think about is point and shoot.
Thank you for making the argument for Glock as well.
Purchased XD for a couple reasons: (while I have the 40.. all still applies to the 9)
1. shot a friends
2. torture tests
3. weight (vs full metal)
4. safety features
5. ease of disassembly (vs the P90 SS I had)
So the same reasons people choose a Glock or S&W? Sounds about right.

Only real difference I see in between Glock and XD is grip angle and grip safety, which is all preference based.

I'd say just shoot both, see which one you like better, buy it and don't look back.
This is one conversation that will go on forever and be repeated until the end of time until something truly remarkable is introduced that blows both out of the water.

XDM and a new Gen 4 G17s are exactly the same gun IMHO. If you are good enough of a shooter to really feel the difference on the bore axis, I salute you. Just get the one you shoot better.

Well guys, I must say I appreciate all the positive input! Glad to hear both are great guns and not have people with opposing views bashing each other. I ended up getting the Glock 17 because it felt really nice in my hands and it was quite a bit cheaper than the XDm. I have already put about 500 rounds through it and love it! Hope this post helps other people who find themselves in a similar situation. And also glad to see the M&P get some coverage here too. My brother is buying one of those very soon.

Either one I will NEVER UNDERSTAND who thought it was a great idea to put the safety ON THE FREAKING TRIGGERS!

Gee, let's put the safety on the trigger!

Because you should only be putting your finger on the trigger if your going to shoot :s0092:

This, and I consider it a "personal safety" issue that if I want to shoot, I don't want to fumble for one more thing - a safety. If I put my finger on the trigger I want it to shoot. If every gun I owned was identical except for caliber, then I might not worry about it because I could develop a "pre-shoot" routine and habit, but I want my gun to be like a double action revolver - just shoot it.

May I please say one more time that one size doesn't fit all? We all have different sized hands, different length fingers, arms and necks, and different shoulder widths. What fits me best may not fit you at all. Glocks fit me and point for me best, but that may not be true for you. I don't think that Glock has all of the best features in every category, but I'm going with the one that fits me best and points for me best and shoots best for me, and I hope you do too.

$.02

This, and I consider it a "personal safety" issue that if I want to shoot, I don't want to fumble for one more thing - a safety. If I put my finger on the trigger I want it to shoot. If every gun I owned was identical except for caliber, then I might not worry about it because I could develop a "pre-shoot" routine and habit, but I want my gun to be like a double action revolver - just shoot it.

May I please say one more time that one size doesn't fit all? We all have different sized hands, different length fingers, arms and necks, and different shoulder widths. What fits me best may not fit you at all. Glocks fit me and point for me best, but that may not be true for you. I don't think that Glock has all of the best features in every category, but I'm going with the one that fits me best and points for me best and shoots best for me, and I hope you do too.

$.02
exactly. if you don't feel comfortable with a gun without a manual safety, there are plenty of other options out there. I don't care how much you practice drawing and manually disengaging the safety, it will never beat someone who is trained to pull and shoot with a Glock IMHO.

exactly. if you don't feel comfortable with a gun without a manual safety, there are plenty of other options out there. I don't care how much you practice drawing and manually disengaging the safety, it will never beat someone who is trained to pull and shoot with a Glock IMHO.

You disengage the safety with your thumb on the draw, it doesn't add any time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top